Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times

Advertisements

Many of these garages fill up and have to turn cars away. I'd rather pay a couple extra bucks and have a reliably available space than drive in and find out I can't park because the garage is full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 09:07 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
maybe companies here should do what a lot of companies do in DC: either pay your parking or pay for your public transit.
Quote:
well im talking about more downtown places aside from universities
A lot of companies in Pittsburgh offer discounted parking rates at the garages. My work has an arrangement where the employee only pays $50/month for the garage lease. It's frustrating to me because they are basically getting a $150+ a month subsidized to them while I get nothing for taking PAT.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:10 AM

912 posts, read 1,731,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
It is going to come down to some very difficult decisions for some people. If you cannot afford to drive to work anymore, you can switch to public transporation, and if that is not an option, you can either find a new job, or move to an area that has reliable service. These may be decisions that people don't want to make, but they are options.
Or just find an alternative place to park. Station Square has huge lots, and I always see people parking there and walking downtown. Same for the North Shore, with the added bonus of having the free T to downtown.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:16 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
A lot of companies in Pittsburgh offer discounted parking rates at the garages. My work has an arrangement where the employee only pays $50/month for the garage lease. It's frustrating to me because they are basically getting a $150+ a month subsidized to them while I get nothing for taking PAT.
I started to say, some companies have vouchers for public transportation, but it has been a while since I worked downtown, so I don't know who offers and who doesn't. Coulldn't find anything on PNC's site, but a brief look suggests BNY does offer something.
Shame about the garage discounts.

Last edited by doo dah; 06-20-2014 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: additions

Old 06-20-2014, 09:23 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Many of these garages fill up and have to turn cars away. I'd rather pay a couple extra bucks and have a reliably available space than drive in and find out I can't park because the garage is full.
bingo. if this were a normal business there'd be nothing to report, prices would be set based on demand. I think if there weren't already publicly owned garages it would be hard to piece together an argument to justify their existence

Old 06-20-2014, 09:31 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
More like 3000x's better. We may even have the worlds slowest light fair/subway system in the world.
Just downtown since there are significant curves in the track. Once you go past south hills junction the blue line goes quite fast

Old 06-20-2014, 09:35 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
bingo. if this were a normal business there'd be nothing to report, prices would be set based on demand. I think if there weren't already publicly owned garages it would be hard to piece together an argument to justify their existence
A lot of people feel this way. Most of the Parking Authority garages have very long wait list for leases.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:42 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times
Quote:

$50 only? that's cheap. I know folks in DC that pay $300+

Old 06-20-2014, 09:49 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
$50 only? that's cheap. I know folks in DC that pay $300+
The parking garages downtown go for $300+ a month. One of the CEO's I know has no problem paying it.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
yeah, it looks like Alco averages $300 ($290-$315 from what I could see, not including special reserves), so it will be the market rate.

Oh, hey, look at this handy web site, you can compare and contrast cities:
Pittsburgh Parking Finder | BestParking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh