Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgexilereturned View Post
In the window of Planned Parenthood is a sign to the effect, "Serving Gays and Lesbians Since 1973".
Because what every gay and lesbian wanted in 1973 was an abortion.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:02 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Because what every gay and lesbian wanted in 1973 was an abortion.
...and abortions are the only thing Planned Parenthood does...

Old 06-27-2014, 10:40 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
I think the "serving gays since 1973" sign is a seperate business within the same building. I frequent downtown and view the protesters as obnoxious and unsympathetic to a womans right to choose.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:42 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg-Boo-85 View Post
I agree that Pittsburgh does lag behind other more "cosmopolitan" areas of the country when it comes to multi-culturalism and racial tolerance. For example, I travel frequently to DC and Chicago and I can perceive an obvious greater harmony between whites and blacks, and whites and Latinos than compared to the Burgh. I've been in shopping malls in Chicago where I was in the 10% minority of white people surrounded by 90% Latino and black folks and I felt totally at ease -- but in Pittsburgh that ratio is reversed and it's not as harmonious. A friend of mine who is a black female in her 20s went to the Mills a year ago and felt like she was being watched the entire time by shop owners and mall security. I think the unfortunate stereotype of the racist Burgher is too prevalent for 2014, and most whites here want the "black hoodrats to stay in East Liberty where they belong". Are there really that many Latinos in the Burgh? I hardly see any. Some of the radio DJs in this city are blatantly racist and make many offensive jokes about blacks and Asians but nobody ever calls them out for it. Sort of disgusting how backwards this city is compared to more attractive meccas like Phoenix, San Diego, and Austin.

This happening in every American city. Places like Beaver-Rochester and New Ken have always been less desirable than the Burgh, but even towns like bucolic Butler have descended into hopeless drug havens of high unemployment. I remember Butler being a rather nice town in the 80's, but now you drive down Main St. and half the stores are empty. So sad.

I think that describes America in general. I wasn't raised in the Burgh but I can remember coming here in the early 90's to visit friends that I made at Penn State University Park who were from Pittsburgh. Seemed like a more lively, fun city back then. Now it's a town full of self-centered people who only want to text while driving and acting a lot more important than they really are. This city has an attitude problem, no doubt. It's just a Rust Belt city with a decent NFL and NHL team -- nothing more to offer than that.
troll 2.0?

Old 06-28-2014, 01:45 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
I agree that Pittsburgh does lag behind other more "cosmopolitan" areas of the country when it comes to multi-culturalism and racial tolerance. For example, I travel frequently to DC and Chicago and I can perceive an obvious greater harmony between whites and blacks, and whites and Latinos than compared to the Burgh. I've been in shopping malls in Chicago where I was in the 10% minority of white people surrounded by 90% Latino and black folks and I felt totally at ease -- but in Pittsburgh that ratio is reversed and it's not as harmonious. A friend of mine who is a black female in her 20s went to the Mills a year ago and felt like she was being watched the entire time by shop owners and mall security. I think the unfortunate stereotype of the racist Burgher is too prevalent for 2014, and most whites here want the "black hoodrats to stay in East Liberty where they belong". Are there really that many Latinos in the Burgh? I hardly see any. Some of the radio DJs in this city are blatantly racist and make many offensive jokes about blacks and Asians but nobody ever calls them out for it. Sort of disgusting how backwards this city is compared to more attractive meccas like Phoenix, San Diego, and Austin.

This happening in every American city. Places like Beaver-Rochester and New Ken have always been less desirable than the Burgh, but even towns like bucolic Butler have descended into hopeless drug havens of high unemployment. I remember Butler being a rather nice town in the 80's, but now you drive down Main St. and half the stores are empty. So sad.

I think that describes America in general. I wasn't raised in the Burgh but I can remember coming here in the early 90's to visit friends that I made at Penn State University Park who were from Pittsburgh. Seemed like a more lively, fun city back then. Now it's a town full of self-centered people who only want to text while driving and acting a lot more important than they really are. This city has an attitude problem, no doubt. It's just a Rust Belt city with a decent NFL and NHL team -- nothing more to offer than that.

BS..... Chicago is one of the largest Racially Segregated Cities in the US.... the AA population is fleeing faster than Rats off a sinking ship there.... Blacks and Whites Do Not Live Harmoniously there.

Trends show the larger and more "Diverse" a city is, the more Segregated it tends to be as well.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:37 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
where did you last live?
The backwoods of Armstrong County.

Quote:

Speaking of "lagging behind," you need to stop recycling message board content from 2001.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:03 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I think the "serving gays since 1973" sign is a seperate business within the same building. I frequent downtown and view the protesters as obnoxious and unsympathetic to a womans right to choose.

I've been in town many times, and have seen the pro-life people protesting on Liberty near Garrison for many years.

Needless to say, their entire point of being there is that they don't believe in the right to choose abortion, so of course they are unsympathetic- that's their point of being there- protesting a political policy they disagree with.

But I hadn't found them to be particularly obnoxious, I haven't seen them annoy or block passersby, I haven't seen them hinder people from getting their errands done or getting to the bus over there.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:16 AM

19 posts, read 36,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
BS..... Chicago is one of the largest Racially Segregated Cities in the US.... the AA population is fleeing faster than Rats off a sinking ship there.... Blacks and Whites Do Not Live Harmoniously there.

Trends show the larger and more "Diverse" a city is, the more Segregated it tends to be as well.

Get out of the South Side of Chicago and you'll see plenty of racial integration, nitzy. EVERY city in America has it's own hellhole of black despair, Pittsburgh and Chicago aren't immune to that.

It's obvious you haven't visited ChiTown since the race riots of the late 60's. You are completely out of touch with reality --- but then what else would I expect from a Burgh trailer park queen like you?

Old 06-28-2014, 06:19 AM

19 posts, read 36,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
troll 2.0?
Are you Dum-Dum 2.0 ??

Methinks yes....

Old 06-28-2014, 08:29 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

But I hadn't found them to be particularly obnoxious, I haven't seen them annoy or block passersby, I haven't seen them hinder people from getting their errands done or getting to the bus over there.
But they do harass women who are trying to go inside to get their annual gyno check ups or to inquire about birth control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh