Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 07:49 AM

373 posts, read 377,894 times

Advertisements

I tried Jet's yesterday. It was basically exactly what I was expecting, maybe a little better. I got a small (6-cut) deep dish with pepperoni and black olive. When I went to pick it up, I immediately regretted not getting an '8 corner' pizza which I guess they're famous for (but it's basically just a different configuration for the deep dish so no biggie). Anyway, if you've had Little Caesar's deep dish, you've had this pizza. Nice, crispy edges on the crust. Slight crunch on the bottom but I'd have liked a little more personally. The toppings were fine, nothing too crazy - then again, I've not run into a place around here yet that has excellent toppings. I'm a sauce man first and foremost and I think theirs is pretty good. Overall I rate it 'a half star better than Little Caesars deep dish'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 06:51 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Ate at Taglio tonight. The pizza is pretty good, but for three people it was $55 with tip. I think that will be my last time there. It is just too expensive for what it is. The crust is a little too chewy for my liking and the toppings are a bit sparse.

I am sort of back to giving up on good pizza in Pittsburgh. It is just amazing to me there is not one place that has a really good NY style pizza. I keep going to Italian style pizza places and am not overly impressed. The most overrated is Piccolo Forno. No flavor at all IMHO. I really wanted it to be great due to its vibe. Loud, but kind of cool.

Ah well, I am making pizza at home now and again, just like I do with Mexican food, since there are no good Mexican places. Sadly, for the most part I eat at home because I am a better cook that uses better ingredients than what you get out. I just don't think restaurants can do it anymore. Sort of what it is like these days. You keep getting less and less quality for a larger price.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:57 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Ate at Taglio tonight. The pizza is pretty good, but for three people it was $55 with tip. I think that will be my last time there. It is just too expensive for what it is. The crust is a little too chewy for my liking and the toppings are a bit sparse.

I am sort of back to giving up on good pizza in Pittsburgh. It is just amazing to me there is not one place that has a really good NY style pizza. I keep going to Italian style pizza places and am not overly impressed. The most overrated is Piccolo Forno. No flavor at all IMHO. I really wanted it to be great due to its vibe. Loud, but kind of cool.

Ah well, I am making pizza at home now and again, just like I do with Mexican food, since there are no good Mexican places. Sadly, for the most part I eat at home because I am a better cook that uses better ingredients than what you get out. I just don't think restaurants can do it anymore. Sort of what it is like these days. You keep getting less and less quality for a larger price.
Give this place a shot: Benny Fierro
I've been pleasantly surprised thus far.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:20 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

Wow, you should look around more. We had great pizza at Luciano's just the other day, and if you live in FC, Bruno's is right up the street on Rt8 and is very good.

Last edited by erieguy; 01-05-2016 at 07:31 PM..

Old 01-05-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Wow, big slices of pizza.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:01 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times
its been a while since I posted in this thread. I was just up visiting a friend in Lancaster for the new years and we went and had some pizza. I must say, while not the best ive had, it was probably better than what I had during my time in Pittsburgh. I was surprised just how gigantic their Stromboli was as well. I mean a large was basically a large pizza.

speaking of which: who has good strombolis/calzones in PGH? I never bothered with that imo.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:15 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
speaking of which: who has good strombolis/calzones in PGH? I never bothered with that imo.
We loved the giant calzone we got at Big Jim's in the Run a few years ago, but I don't know how much was objectively about the food and how much was the awesome feeling of stepping into a very different world from the one we usually live in.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:15 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Thanks. It looks pretty good. I will give it a go. Enjoy.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:17 PM

While the pizzas are on the small side, Mario's in Beaver is also very good.

The pizza debate is always interesting as those that can't find pizza to their liking rarely, if ever, give names of what they consider good/great in other areas. The NYC reference is never given with names of the establishments. There's 99cent slices most everywhere, on up to most every kind of pizza one could imagine at one of the most famed pizza places in NY.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:35 AM

373 posts, read 377,894 times
Quote:
This is immediately #1 on my list to try. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh