Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 11:56 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Definitely been at more than one kids' birthday party where Jets was served, and also got it several times for my own family. I think it is a good, tasty product, but a little on the greasy side. I'm still partial to that Mineo's for some reason. In terms of (sadly) disappointing Sicilian -- Danny's -- which has great subs -- has pretty sub-par Sicilian. This was doubly surprising to me because, most everything from Danny's is tasty and (i think) they even have a sign in their window advertising their Sicilian.

In terms of what makes it sub-par -- cheese and sauce is fine, but the crust was almost flat, like no evidence that it rose at all during the cooking process, which is (in my opinion) a critical element of a good Sicilian.

Dannys pizza has always been horrible. Unfortunately i have been told by multiple people that the original owners have sold out and the quality has gone downhill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 12:00 PM

807 posts, read 616,779 times
That makes sense, I thought I could have got it on a bad day. I'm a sucker for an in-window advertisement, especially if it looks like it has been there since the 1960s!

Old 07-16-2021, 01:29 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:
That makes sense, I thought I could have got it on a bad day. I'm a sucker for an in-window advertisement, especially if it looks like it has been there since the 1960s!
Since i was a kid in the early 80's it has been trash. I am a fat man so when i say it is trash you can take it to the bank.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:04 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
not just you! you put in pretty neon, a clean facade, a cool/slick paper menu, and i am convinced "this is it - cool central, 2021 - this is the happening place of excellent food and modernized versions of James Dean and Raquel Welch. smoking inside allowed, too, if you have grease in your hair.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:11 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Rockaway Pizza is a NYC style that has a proper crust. It is a thin crispy, yet tender pizza. This is a well balanced pizza with not too much sauce or cheese. The owner made my pizza and you can't get better than that situation as they care the most. That is my problem with Caliente. They expanded and aren't very consistent. I felt their Brooklyn Pizza was the best in Pittsburgh, but I have had it undercooked and just not worth the price. If it was the same every time, I would be happy to pay the $20+ for a pizza.

As I have stated Pittsburgh isn't really a pizza city compared to NYC, but there are pizzas that are okay around. I have heard Vincent's is still good, but the crust got bigger around the outside edge and it isn't as balanced as when Vincent made it with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Miss that legend of the pizza arts.

Old 07-19-2021, 06:42 AM

882 posts, read 335,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
As I have stated Pittsburgh isn't really a pizza city compared to NYC, but there are pizzas that are okay around. I have heard Vincent's is still good, but the crust got bigger around the outside edge and it isn't as balanced as when Vincent made it with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Miss that legend of the pizza arts.

Vincent's was awful. I literally got physically sick eating it the only time I've ever tried it, and it was just a bucket of grease.

I don't understand the romanticizing of unhygienic terrible pizza. I'm convinced that most of the people that extol the virtues of Vincent's pizza, mentioning the cigarette, the grease, and all that comes with it have either never actually had the pizza. If they have, I'm not so sure they actually like it, but instad use it as some sort of old-school cool or contrarian cred that makes them feel better than the plebs that enjoy pizza made by places that opened up in the last decade or two, as if that alone makes them incapable of making a good pie.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:01 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
Vincent's was awful. I literally got physically sick eating it the only time I've ever tried it, and it was just a bucket of grease.

I don't understand the romanticizing of unhygienic terrible pizza. I'm convinced that most of the people that extol the virtues of Vincent's pizza, mentioning the cigarette, the grease, and all that comes with it have either never actually had the pizza. If they have, I'm not so sure they actually like it, but instad use it as some sort of old-school cool or contrarian cred that makes them feel better than the plebs that enjoy pizza made by places that opened up in the last decade or two, as if that alone makes them incapable of making a good pie.
Well lets see there was a line out the door daily and he kicked out more pizzas than about anyone. He was consistently rated in the top pizza places in our region. He didn't deliver and he opened at 5pm. He was one, if not the most successful pizza places in our region.

So you were saying? I always get a kick out of people that don't like something, but forget that they aren't "the people". You are "a person". Vincents was famous and the crazy full parking lot would have license plates from all over the place. He was no doubt a millionaire from pizza making. As he got older he closed Mondays and Tuesdays. I knew him a little. What a character. His take out was so busy, there was no way you could have that many pizza boxes, so he had a piece of cardboard with butcher paper to wrap it. Very smart actually, considering he made just so many pizzas. Always a huge line for take out. Man that place was busy. No other pizza places would come close to how busy he was.

It is fun to be right.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Well lets see there was a line out the door daily and he kicked out more pizzas than about anyone. He was consistently rated in the top pizza places in our region. He didn't deliver and he opened at 5pm. He was one, if not the most successful pizza places in our region.

So you were saying? I always get a kick out of people that don't like something, but forget that they aren't "the people". You are "a person". Vincents was famous and the crazy full parking lot would have license plates from all over the place. He was no doubt a millionaire from pizza making. As he got older he closed Mondays and Tuesdays. I knew him a little. What a character. His take out was so busy, there was no way you could have that many pizza boxes, so he had a piece of cardboard with butcher paper to wrap it. Very smart actually, considering he made just so many pizzas. Always a huge line for take out. Man that place was busy. No other pizza places would come close to how busy he was.

It is fun to be right.

I stand by everything that I said. Your post changes nothing.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:

However, in the interest of maintaining the renewed de-escalation of vitriol we've experienced since the (hopefully permanent) purge of some of the more troll-like posters in here, I'll say that what I typed was just my opinion, and I respect that you have differing opinions. I could have worded mine less condescending.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:05 AM
gg

Quote:
Last post.

I stated that Vincent's Pizza Park was voted number one pizza in Pittsburgh MANY times during his life. He was famous and even written about in the WSJ.

If I didn't like Vincent's Pizza, I would still mention it because I can see beyond my own opinion. I think that is the disconnect. I don't like Mineo's, but the proof it is popular is in it being voted number one many times, so while I don't like it, I still will mention it as it is VERY popular.

I look at statistics and hold them above my own opinion, but I value my own opinion for myself as I have my own tastes. I would still eat a Mineo's pizza because it is pretty good, but there are better options for my own taste.

Hope this better explains things as I view things beyond my own views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh