Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 09:10 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
However, in the interest of maintaining the renewed de-escalation of vitriol we've experienced since the (hopefully permanent) purge of some of the more troll-like posters in here, I'll say that what I typed was just my opinion, and I respect that you have differing opinions. I could have worded mine less condescending.
*applause* for being humble, self-critical, understanding, and kind. (im not saying gg has not been in this recent exchange.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 09:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
For the record, I liked both Vincent's and Mineos. I ate a lot less Vincent's because it was out of the way for me. I've been eating Mineo's on a regular basis since around 1979-1980.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:06 AM

264 posts, read 338,378 times
WOW, a resurrected pizza thread.

Best Sicilian isn't in the city, it's in Coraopolis - Pizzeria (AKA Fourth Street Pizza). Breezy's used to be good, Police Station is OK, D&G was really good - I don't think it's still around though.

As for the rest of the back and forth, Vincent's sounds like Villa Di Pizza in Aliquippa. Chubby was an ornery old butt who smoked cigars while prepping pizza. And like the Soup Nazi of Seinfeld fame, if you didn't order the way he wanted you to order, he kicked you out.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:12 AM

807 posts, read 617,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy3n8 View Post
resurrected pizza
Is that when you leave a few slices in the box overnight, and then reheat them in the microwave for breakfast?

Old 07-19-2021, 11:24 AM

882 posts, read 335,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Is that when you leave a few slices in the box overnight, and then reheat them in the microwave for breakfast?

FWIW, my now preferred method is to slowly reheat on the stove in a skillet at low flame, with a foil lid mostly covering the slices. After about 5 minutes or so, the cheese is re-melted and the crust is nice and crispy, without the chewiness that comes with a microwave.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:52 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
FWIW, my now preferred method is to slowly reheat on the stove in a skillet at low flame, with a foil lid mostly covering the slices. .
aka Pan Pizza

Old 07-23-2021, 06:50 AM

10,854 posts, read 4,534,722 times
My answer is gonna be very biased...but here goes

I grew up in and around the burgh with my greatest tranches of time being spent in pleasant hills (1-6th) and then irwin (7-sophmore year college)

The folks were not real big into pizza back in the day. On weekends at dads, he was into buckets of H Salt or KFC on friday or sat nights and rudys. a meat taters type of guy. Mom married a sicilian and neither had a taste for pizza so when we DID get it, it was like a couple pies from foxs pizza pen - large family. then I went off to college and found like capri in the heart of pitt which was more cheap than good - college budget right? but also the holy trinity on murray ae - napoli, mineo, ailieos who all put coupons in the college paper. but, I was more a hoagie guy.

then when the folks moved to the center of the state, I had changed majors and schools and went to an extension campus to get out of the city. once again, college cheap was clinton street 6 pack in johnstown and better was napolis up in richland, but still...hoagie or now stromboli guy. the folks had moved to huntingdon which oddly, not only had Tommy Hoover - the father of the hemi, but the home of OIP (original italian pizza) and xx brothers chains. I got spoiled and that pizza became a family staple.

Right out of college I hired onto IBM in NY and CT and REALLY got spoiled with true italian pizza. I prefer it heavily over all other types and I did a stint in cali where, ewww yuck. even the 'itatlian pizza' in cali is fake. So when I repatriated to PA about 21 years ago I was back in the center of the state and OIP was everywhere. When I moved here cuz its all about retiring in pa, the search was on.

forget grande or marsala or palmer...not italian pizza. everyone else seemed to have their own close, but not there take on italian pizza. then we found Valtres (sp?) bingo. But they closed due to plague for a while and the new white oak owner - close, but not quite. Then on a whim and a rec, tried doms in trafford. BINGO. That is where dinner will be tonight after I check on the boat. Large extra cheese half pep. nom nom nom.

Give doms a shot. if you like true NY style iti pizza, its the best I have found so far. yes, I am always on the lookout, but I tend to be a creature of habit as well.

(I have similar narrow opinions for thai food. 'Thai Win 2' in winchester VA has me spoiled that way as well...)

Old 07-23-2021, 06:53 AM

882 posts, read 335,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
then I went off to college and found like capri in the heart of pitt which was more cheap than good - college budget right?

Man, I haven't thought of Capri in a long time. Used to like that stuff!

Old 07-23-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think that is my problem as well. I love NYC pizza. It has flavor. I think that region just has better cheese and they cook the pizza, so there is no raw dough like you find here in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh seems to love sweet sauce as well, which I never liked. It really is hard to believe you can't get a slice around here that compares to NYC. Interestingly, I have had good pizza in Ohio, so if they can do it, why can't we?

this is a serious old post I understand but I have not skimmed the thread yet...if you roll your own and are looking for a good sauce, its hard to find locally, byt try delgrossos pizza sauce in a jar from the altoona area. its not sugared up. my step dad was sicilian import so there was a colorful family that showed up. aunt mille would come over and give us cooking lessons and one was about how some put sugar in the sauce (then she would fork the evil eye). If you find yourself intrinsically liking one set of iti dishes over another, odds are, no sugar in the sauce.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:58 AM

had to add...I saw some from CT posted in the long thread. when I moved to CT, a friend from there (near waterbury) showed us four corners pizza somehow up by thomaston. that was my first hit on NY area pizza. never looked back. I see some poo poo the whole NY thing, but there IS a taste difference and I like it. (its in the cheese really - since we are all close to delallos, go there and experiment with the agedness (sharpness) of each.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh