Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:50 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times

Advertisements

So I find myself really craving a good gooey pizza tonight but I live far from my old favorite place, Homestyle Pizza on Rt 50, in Cecil. It seems that there are quite a few to pick from here in Squirrel Hill. I have had the pizza at Gianni's a couple of times and it was okay but not quite the thing. I will admit to thinking their Philly Cheesteak pizza is very tasty.

So I thought I would ask the forum.

What is your favorite pizza place in Pittsburgh?
What is your usual/favorite thing(s) they make?
How do they score on the affordability factor?
Dine in, carry out or delivery?

Tell us all about your favorite place.

So mine is still Homestyle Pizza. I have known the owners for over 20 years. My late husband worked there with them before they bought the place. So for me there is of course some sentimental attachment. But I love their food. They don't have any fancy gourmet pies but they make delicious traditional pizzas.

My usual order is a stromboli and a side of deep fried mushrooms with sauce or a side salad with ranch. I always get it to go and the mushrooms usually don't make it home. I love their sauce and their home made ranch dressing.

I also love their meatball calzones and pizza with peperoni and mushrooms and the Italian hoagie.

Price wise they are very reasonable and I spend well under $20 for a meal (for one)that will leave me with leftovers for lunch the next day.

I am going to be hard pressed to find someplace closer to my new home that I will love as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 04:03 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,388,315 times
Homestyle pizza on rt 50, is that the same one in center of bridgeville. I heard great things but never went. My two favorite ones are vinnies in forest hills, and fiori's. I think the new location in peters is better than the old city location

Old 06-28-2014, 04:12 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Homestyle pizza on rt 50, is that the same one in center of Bridgeville.
That is probably Country Style Pizza. They have locations in Bridgeville and I think at the Shop N Save in Cannonsburg ,although I am not sure it is still there. They make great pies too. I love their spinach and artichoke pizza. But I didn't get to their store often. Homestyle Pizza is directly across the street from the Cecil Fire house and as far as I know it is the only one of its kind.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Mamma Lucia's at the Northway Mall. My favorite is the thick Sicilian. The crust is delicious. The thin pie is tasty too. They also make a nice white pizza. No delivery. Dine in or carry out only. You can order a whole pizza or buy by the slice, which is always a bonus.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:12 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Fiori's is excellent. Imo, Its one of those pizzas that is best as soon as it comes out of the oven. We always eat-in when getting Fiori's. Same with Giovanni's and Campiti's.

Many Pittsburgh pizza threads if you do a "search".

Old 06-28-2014, 05:22 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times
None of the pizza in Squirrel Hill is that good. I prefer Napoli over everything else on Murray Avenue, plus they deliver, which not all of them do. OTOH, you might want to try Mineo's, which is many people's "best pizza in Pittsburgh," though I haven't liked it since 1972, when it was the only pizza in Pittsburgh. It's rather oily, but it's tasty, and is a neighborhood classic.

As for best pizza in Pittsburgh, I like Neapolitan now, from Piccolo Forno (Lawrenceville), Il Pizzaiolo (downtown), Mercurio (Shadyside), and Stone Neapolitan Pizza (downtown). These are more expensive than regular pizza, though Stone is less so.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:48 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,910,771 times
little Caesars because non exist in this city(that's above them in quality and taste imo). at least I know my $5 buys me what I expect

ive been completely spoiled by a local pizza place in Northern VA. ny style to boot.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:53 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times
For a while when my office was nearby, I thought that Monte Cello's was pretty good.

My mum likes pizza, when I visit her, if she wants me to bring a pie, she likes Pizza Hut.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:57 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,910,771 times
what I do miss however, is a good pepperoni Stromboli. Cheese and pepperoni, that's it. Can't find a place that does that around here :/

Old 06-28-2014, 06:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
The best pepperoni Stromboli I've ever had was at a pool bar in the outskirts of Harrisburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh