Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:54 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times

Advertisements

There is a story about some women that works in fast food running down the street and attacking another women that had a 2 year old child in tow. She beat her senseless in front of the 2 year old and there were plenty of bystanders that did nothing be video the thing almost in a gleeful state. I found it pretty shocking. Not so much the attack, but there was some 2 year old kicking the women doing the beating and no one even helped the little kid out.

My question is, could this happen in Pittsburgh? I really hope not. I would like to think even in the worst areas in Pittsburgh someone would have helped at least the little kid out. I guess I don't want to think this could happen here no matter what street it was on.

** I described the situation enough I hope. I don't suggest looking at the video. I wish I never opened it and I wonder why I did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 08:57 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,001 times
Bystander effect is a disturbing psychological occurrence that could happen anywhere. Just one of those random twisted things about humans.

Bystander effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-29-2014, 08:59 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
I can only speak to myself (unfortunately saw the video as well) but would have intervened & at least attempted to stop the worthless animal of a person from beating the woman.

She needs to disappear in prison for a very long time.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I can only speak to myself (unfortunately saw the video as well) but would have intervened & at least attempted to stop the worthless animal of a person from beating the woman.

She needs to disappear in prison for a very long time.
I was trying to think what I would do if I ran across such a thing. The questions I would ask myself would be, how many people are here watching? If I get involved would they attack me because of my skin color? If I at least grab the child, would they attack me for doing so? I don't think if I grabbed the kid away people would jump me, but if I kicked that women in the head to make her stop, that might cause a reaction and an escalation could occur.

I still would like to think we are better than that video around here, but maybe I am dreaming?

Old 06-29-2014, 09:29 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I was trying to think what I would do if I ran across such a thing. The questions I would ask myself would be, how many people are here watching? If I get involved would they attack me because of my skin color? If I at least grab the child, would they attack me for doing so? I don't think if I grabbed the kid away people would jump me, but if I kicked that women in the head to make her stop, that might cause a reaction and an escalation could occur.

I still would like to think we are better than that video around here, but maybe I am dreaming?
I should caveat it by saying, I hope that's what I would do, but until you're actually in the moment of the situation you never actually know. & yea, good point in that the bystanders may well have attacked anyone that tried to intervene.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:56 PM

146 posts, read 297,020 times
Yes, it could happen here, it could happen in NYC, it could happen in Kalamazoo, it could happen in Paris, it could happen anywhere. Humans are weird creatures.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Bystander effect is a disturbing psychological occurrence that could happen anywhere. Just one of those random twisted things about humans.
I guess I should clarify. The so-called bystanders ran to catch up to the fight to video tape it and they were oohing and awing. I think there is a difference. Would people in Pittsburgh run to the fight to video tape it, knowing there is some little 2 year old in the mix? I find it hard to believe we have such a number of animals with no one around to help. The kid is 2!

Last edited by gg; 06-29-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 08:02 PM

65 posts, read 87,842 times
I think it depends in a situation like this if you would physically be able to help. If there are a group of physically fit men, you'd think they'd be more likely intervene. But a young woman with no fighting ability who tried to help would probably end up beat up too. You also don't know whether either of them are carrying a weapon that at some point could come out (when you intervene).

Old 06-29-2014, 08:28 PM

147 posts, read 292,932 times
Funny you bring this up. One time when I was downtown, I believe it was on Smithfield, I heard a teenage girl threaten to beat the (expletive) out of another teenage girl, and beat the (expletive) out of her daughter, who couldn't have been older than 4 or 5 years old. My friend and I were passing by the group as it happened, and when we turned around and looked at them out of surprise, they were staring us down, so we kept walking. I don't think the situation escalated to violence, but it does bring up questions about the bystander effect. I'd like to think I'd be able to bring myself to intervene, but I think I'd have to be with others who were willing to intervene. It's sad and kind of scary but it just seems to be human nature to not want to confront someone when you don't have any stake in it.

So, yes, it could happen in Pittsburgh, just as it could happen anywhere else. Humans are funny creatures.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:41 AM

19 posts, read 25,376 times
It could happen less. I feel like these events occur more in places like NJ and NY due to strong gun control laws that prevent citizens from carrying firearms. Someone is much more likely to get shot if they tried something like this in a shall-issue state like PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh