Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 09:17 AM

5 posts, read 8,460 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm white and my partner is black. We are looking to relocate near Pittsburgh but wanting to stay on the outskirts. Places like Ambridge/Monaca/Beaver falls areas.
Would we have a problem with being an interracial couple? We're hoping buy a house and start a family when we relocate. Any suggestions on places to avoid and places to look into would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Why have you chosen the Ambridge/Monaca/Beaver Falls area? Do either of you already have a job in that area?

Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 AM

632 posts, read 853,509 times
You might encounter some resistance from older people who have never been able to accept this idea.
But for the most part I do not think that you will experience any problems.

As my wife likes to put it, "this is the 21st. Century, get over it!"

Old 07-01-2014, 11:22 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
I'd honestly recommend living somewhere in Allegheny County. It's more socially tolerant than any of the outer metropolitan counties.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:31 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I'd honestly recommend living somewhere in Allegheny County. It's more socially tolerant than any of the outer metropolitan counties.
There may be a little truth to what you said, but I don't think an interracial couple is likely to have problems in the outer metropolitan counties.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:42 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
The areas that the op stated would be fine. Ambridge is a nice bigger walkable town, i have never ran into issues there

Monaca seemed a little more red neckish, but closerto modern shopping

I have never been to beaver

Old 07-01-2014, 02:00 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,778 times
Live in outskirts of Beaver Falls. Two interracial couples on my road, one grandmother raising interracial grand kids and one Caucasian couple who adopted African American siblings...all on my road which is semi rural. My son is of mixed race...no issues. I often see interracial ( specifically AA/Caucasian ) couples in both Beaver Falls and New Brighton but Not as much as in Beaver. But i have no heard of or experienced any issues there and I am there frequently.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:34 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Beaver Falls has some of the highest numbers of interracial relationships and bi-racial childeren in this side if the state! Ambridge has MANY interracial couples too. However they both have sketchy areas (with BF's bad areas being much worse).

Ironically like I said on another thread, these diverse river towns are the very same towns which always have reported incidents of racism. Still if you choose to move to either BF or the Bridge you would have 1000 X more acceptance than bigotry from your neighbors.

New Brighton & Rochester are also good options.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:37 AM

5 posts, read 8,460 times
Thank you guys for responding. (:
We're looking in this area because we want to buy a house no more then $60,000 and be in a smaller city but still close enough to go to downtown Pitts on like a Friday night or something. I'm from a small town and my BF is from a big city.
I'm really looking into Ambridge. I've been to beaver falls and didn't like the feel. I been to Monaca and it was ok. I liked that it had all the modern shopping. I haven't been to Ambridge but the houses I've looked at online seem to be in our price range.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:48 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Just know try to buy outside of these two areas:
The immediate areas outside Economy Village/Crestwell Village
Ambridge "down the hill" which is anything South of 11th Street- West of Duss Ave. Although these two areas still aren't that bad & are nowhere near as bad as Aliquippa/Beaver Fall's bad areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh