Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:32 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

If the "new Pittsburgh" is cold, Smartphone-obsessed, and self-absorbed, then I'll be the first to admit I wish the "yinzers" I've so often maligned over the years don't disappear. I think I'm finally starting to appreciate them after living here for so long.
Let's take bets on how long it takes for SCR to post his next missive full of yinzer insults. Less than a week is my prediction ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 04:54 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
I just realized that it is, in fact, Tuesday. Fricking bar prep!

Old 07-08-2014, 11:27 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Moderator cut: orphaned
Now, back on topic. Hope it works out for that spot. They will have some retail, so maybe there will be something good there? Hard to say.

Last edited by Yac; 07-09-2014 at 04:54 AM..

Old 07-09-2014, 04:59 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Wow, this really is one of SCR's alternative Tuesdays (or Wednesdays as it were).

And you should take even your own "random conversation" anecdotes with a grain of salt. As long as someone isn't rude in response to your good-faith attempts to chat, I don't see the issue. You don't know if they have things to do or places to be. I'm big on both chatting up random people and, whenever possible, engaging those who are interested in having a conversation with me (sometimes to my girlfriend's lament ), but sometimes I'm busy or tired or simply not in the mood.

P.S.: as much as I find your blanket generalizations irritating, one thing I know you're not is anti-Semitic.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:15 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
This is hardly Pittsburgh specific. You're finally getting the cold, self-absorbed high-earners to move in from the suburbs.

Yeah. One has to be truly working class and financially challenged in order to be friendly and not self-absorbed.

Does anyone else remember the good old days back when the Internet boards were populated by techies and yuppies and other brainy, successful people? They always came up with interesting things to discuss.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
If you're going to invoke hackneyed anti-Semitic stereotypes, at least get them right. The one thing even "stereotypically cheap" Jews won't hesitate to spend lots of money on is food. There's a very good reason Jewish country clubs have the best food and the highest non-golf related dues.

This is absolutely gross. Perhaps one day, as Jews continue to flock to your precious "Borough," the political tide will turn and the "bleeding hearts" who come into power will build some low-income housing adjacent to your home. Imagine, Curt: loud, obnoxious, aggressive, parking space stealing Jews and filthy, dangerous, immoral minorities surrounding you from all sides!
Actually, I've noticed that there are very few kosher restaurants in Squirrel Hill - other than Dunkin Donuts, I think I've only seen one. A quality meat kosher place ($$$) might be just the ticket.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:58 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Wow - I could barely get through 2 pages before someone twisted this in a coded anti-semitic diatribe.

I agree with gg, on some levels. For this discussion, though, I don't understand people's attachment to Poli's. I mean, not emphatically - literally, I don't see what it is all about. Was it a great restaurant?

I've heard for years people casually mention how unfortunate its demise is.

That IS a tough corner. I would NOT like retail. I think a child day care, with possibly using the drop off further up from the corner ("Got my kid? 'K, bye! *screeching tires*), or a take out restaurant, again, with maybe 80 feet of reserved curb space for curb-side delivery.

I think retail would be bound to fail there.

If it will be housing for the special needs people, great, but just for Section 8 based on financial need - uh uh. Move along.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:50 AM

778 posts, read 839,749 times
Poli's used to be Pittsburgh Fancy. But people, those days are long, long over.

Szug-bot, there's already a daycare there, about 5 storefronts up in that large high-rise that's next to the Poli's building.

And there are kosher restaurants in Squirrel Hill. Nu and Milky Way come to mind immediately.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:22 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
The compassion that some posters on this site show towards those less fortunate just warms my heart.
/sarcasm font/
city-data to jay5835: "You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice."
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
Poli's used to be Pittsburgh Fancy. But people, those days are long, long over.
The last time I was at Poli's (1999-2000) was also the last time I had a crab Devonshire. Try getting a crab Devonshire anywhere nowadays. I like "Pittsburgh Fancy," btw. Klein's was my other favorite "Pittsburgh Fancy" seafood restaurantl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
And there are kosher restaurants in Squirrel Hill. Nu and Milky Way come to mind immediately.
Nu is Kosher-style, not Kosher.

Last edited by jay5835; 12-24-2014 at 09:02 AM..

Old 12-24-2014, 08:41 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
"You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice."
The last time I was at Poli's (1999-2000) was also the last time I had a crab Devonshire. Try getting a crab Devonshire anywhere nowadays. I like "Pittsburgh Fancy," btw. Klein's was my other favorite "Pittsburgh Fancy" seafood restaurantl.
Nu is Kosher-style, not Kosher.
Wonder what happened to that Neon Lobster sign?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: