Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:46 PM
gg

26,134 posts, read 26,121,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
The compassion that some posters on this site show towards those less fortunate just warms my heart.
/sarcasm font/
Do you know how much poverty is in the city limits? Are the section 8 folks going to help Pittsburgh rebuild itself? Does the Pittsburgh Public School need some money? Are they going to get a nice chunk of change from the section 8 folks there in Squirrel Hill? Yeah, I guess the city should just give it all away and the school system will even get worse than it is already. Pave a road? Nope. Maybe you can write a check to help the city out? Maybe you can be the difference?

It is fun to live in fantasy land, but the more low income that is all over the city, the worse it will be. There needs to be some dispersal of some of this. Maybe Wilkinsburg can take a few more? They seem to be doing great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 02:53 PM

6,788 posts, read 9,648,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yep, section 8. Expect more litter and some crime.
Per the article, it's special needs housing. In other words, people with disabilities.

Special needs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your first thought on hearing that somebody is going to add housing for those with special needs is "litter and crime"? Moderator cut: not really relevant, is it ?

Last edited by Yac; 07-09-2014 at 04:53 AM..

Old 07-07-2014, 03:13 PM

9,424 posts, read 13,105,101 times
Quote:
Yep, section 8. Expect more litter and some crime. Shame someone couldn't put in a good seafood restaurant. Poli's back in the day was good, but times have changed. You can't serve that kind of quality for a reasonable price anymore, so you get mediocre food for a reasonable price, or you have to raise prices to a level of it being expensive. That region can't support expensive restaurants due to the clientele in that region. Not the biggest spenders for the most part. Now if it was Shadyside or in and around 5th Ave, they probably would have been okay to raise prices to keep quality.
If you're going to invoke hackneyed anti-Semitic stereotypes, at least get them right. The one thing even "stereotypically cheap" Jews won't hesitate to spend lots of money on is food. There's a very good reason Jewish country clubs have the best food and the highest non-golf related dues.

Quote:
Do you know how much poverty is in the city limits? Are the section 8 folks going to help Pittsburgh rebuild itself? Does the Pittsburgh Public School need some money? Are they going to get a nice chunk of change from the section 8 folks there in Squirrel Hill? Yeah, I guess the city should just give it all away and the school system will even get worse than it is already. Pave a road? Nope. Maybe you can write a check to help the city out? Maybe you can be the difference?

It is fun to live in fantasy land, but the more low income that is all over the city, the worse it will be. There needs to be some dispersal of some of this. Maybe Wilkinsburg can take a few more? They seem to be doing great!
This is absolutely gross. Perhaps one day, as Jews continue to flock to your precious "Borough," the political tide will turn and the "bleeding hearts" who come into power will build some low-income housing adjacent to your home. Imagine, Curt: loud, obnoxious, aggressive, parking space stealing Jews and filthy, dangerous, immoral minorities surrounding you from all sides!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Per the article, it's special needs housing. In other words, people with disabilities.
Special needs is the new code word for section 8. They don't want to say, section 8 anymore for obvious reasons. Special needs has a nicer ring. Goodbye Poli's. Was a nice run.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:36 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
If you're going to invoke hackneyed anti-Semitic stereotypes...!
You seem to think everything I say is anti semitic. I would consider seeking some help with that. I certainly never mentioned Jewish people, but you seem to assume I would even think of such a thing? Odd.

Lets try and keep on topic. What I posted was about the buyer and that is a concern if you live in the area. I don't know the new owner's history though, but I do know they cater to section 8 or taxpayer assisted apartments. What Pittsburgh needs is more wage tax income. Doesn't anyone look at the real numbers when looking at budgets anymore, or is it just pushing things under the rug and hoping it works out later? I don't get it.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:53 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,979,177 times
The nerve of those people with special needs for wanting a safe affordable place to live. Aren't there bridges or highway overpasses that they could be living in?

Old 07-07-2014, 06:57 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,171,262 times
Quote:

So what do you think should happen to poor people? Should we send them to an island somewhere? Bring back debtors' prisons? Kill them?
There are decent people out there who were not dealt a great hand. It doesn't make them bad people--they are just struggling. Don't they deserve a decent place to live?
Of course some people on Section 8 are lowlifes. You know what? Some rich people are lowlifes, too.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:59 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,303,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
The nerve of those people with special needs for wanting a safe affordable place to live. Aren't there bridges or highway overpasses that they could be living in?

I don't think its a question as to whether or not there should be subsidized housing or not.

Its just whether this particular location is too valuable for that use, and could the taxpayers who are paying for the subsidized housing can get "more bang for the buck" in a less expensive location.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:03 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,171,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I don't think its a question as to whether or not there should be subsidized housing or not.

Its just whether this particular location is too valuable for that use, and could the taxpayers who are paying for the subsidized housing can get "more bang for the buck" in a less expensive location.
How much revenue has the city received from this space over the past decade?

Old 07-07-2014, 07:05 PM

9,424 posts, read 13,105,101 times
Quote:
You seem to think everything I say is anti semitic. I would consider seeking some help with that. I certainly never mentioned Jewish people, but you seem to assume I would even think of such a thing? Odd.

Lets try and keep on topic. What I posted was about the buyer and that is a concern if you live in the area. I don't know the new owner's history though, but I do know they cater to section 8 or taxpayer assisted apartments. What Pittsburgh needs is more wage tax income. Doesn't anyone look at the real numbers when looking at budgets anymore, or is it just pushing things under the rug and hoping it works out later? I don't get it.
You said "The region can't support restaurants due to the clientele in that region. Not the biggest spenders for the most part." Come the flip on, dude. When you characterize the residents of a distinctively Jewish neighborhood as cheap (and especially when you claim the residents of the less Jewish neighboring area spend much more freely by comparison) it's pretty fricking clear what you're trying to get at. You've done the same crap before (calling SH residents "nasty, aggressive parking space stealers) and I'm beyond sick of it. Stop saying that garbage and I'll stop calling you out on it. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: