Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:20 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,165,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Poli's has been closed for almost a decade, having anything in that space is better than nothing and it's not like there's a shortage of restaurants in Sq. Hill.
Exactly! That space has been empty for so long. Empty buildings are never a good thing.
I am not sure why people are acting as if some high revenue project has been driven out by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 07:22 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,606,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I am not sure why people are acting as if some high revenue project has been driven out by this.
There was a high revenue project proposed. People are forgetting how long ago it fell through.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:37 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,096,570 times
It's a lousy intersection for pedestrians.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:42 AM

994 posts, read 902,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
There was a high revenue project proposed. People are forgetting how long ago it fell through.
There were businesses next to Poli's that were driven out because they expected to be kicked out by the new development, which never happened. This is unfortunate because now there is empty space. I'm not sure if the second floor were the Gay and Lesbian Community Center has a new tenant, but the bottom floor is empty (I think?). Nobody wants to put anything permanent there since it is in a flux. Not sure how old the building(s) are but the are somewhat ugly and the best option would be to tear all of that down and start anew. I wish someone would see the value and be willing to make an investment like the previous plan.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,606,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
I wish someone would see the value and be willing to make an investment like the previous plan.
The original plan was for a hotel (among other things) and I think that boat sailed when the original developers failed. It has been a very long delay and the Poli site's developers were hardly the only people to notice that there weren't enough hotel rooms around. When the first plan was proposed, there was one hotel at the Waterfront. Now there are three. In the other direction, there was only one chain hotel and the Shadyside Inn (and a small B&B I can't think of the name of). Now, hotels are being added in East Liberty and at the old Don Allen site.

You won't see something like the previous plan because it's not the same situation was it was in 2008. And, as I've said before, if somebody had a different plan, they've had plenty of time to put it out there. The only thing those buildings have been used for since 2005 is to hold Josh Wander's signs.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:26 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,009,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
You said "The region can't support restaurants due to the clientele in that region.
It had more to do with it being a little poorer down that way, with the row houses and highway right there. Relax a bit, you seem tensed up.

Someone mentioned it was a bad intersection for pedestrians. It is a little crazy down that way if you are on the right side of the road going down hill. If you are on the left side, it probably is okay. People do cross down there all the time though.

Looking over all these posts, I think I will change my position a bit. I really want to see the city to get some more revenue going, but that location isn't all the important. It is pretty much right on the highway. Guess there will be some shops on the first floor. Maybe it will look okay. I also didn't realize it has been a decade since Poli's was out of business. Wow!

Old 07-08-2014, 10:35 AM

9,363 posts, read 13,028,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It had more to do with it being a little poorer down that way, with the row houses and highway right there. Relax a bit, you seem tensed up.
As if people in the city don't travel beyond immediate walking distance to go out to eat. You're full of it.

Regardless, there's so little going on down that way, good-faith attempts to establish viable businesses and increase foot traffic shouldn't be balked at because you think special needs housing is some kind of euphemism. What's on that stretch of Forward besides a bowling alley and pizza place, anyway?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:13 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,674,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
The apartment building next to my house was largely Section 8 for the first five years that we lived here and the only problem we ever had was one guy with a loud motorcycle who lived there for a few months. For better or worse, it was sold and rehabbed and now those same units are $1300 a month and occupied by professional types. The new tenants are fine but not nearly as friendly as the old ones.
I thought I was the only one that noticed that poor and lower-middle-class Pittsburghers seem to be much friendlier than the "progressive, educated, upper-middle-class" types the city is universally trying to attract these days. It's quite rare that someone in Squirrel Hill (not anti-Semitic) or Point Breeze will attempt to strike up a random conversation with me or bother to make a feeble attempt at carrying on one that I initiate myself. If I'm walking around Millvale, Polish Hill, or Greenfield I've had much more success with people being overtly friendly and accommodating.

If the "new Pittsburgh" is cold, Smartphone-obsessed, and self-absorbed, then I'll be the first to admit I wish the "yinzers" I've so often maligned over the years don't disappear. I think I'm finally starting to appreciate them after living here for so long.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:23 PM

618 posts, read 693,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If the "new Pittsburgh" is cold, Smartphone-obsessed, and self-absorbed, then I'll be the first to admit I wish the "yinzers" I've so often maligned over the years don't disappear. I think I'm finally starting to appreciate them after living here for so long.
This is hardly Pittsburgh specific. You're finally getting the cold, self-absorbed high-earners to move in from the suburbs.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:25 PM

9,363 posts, read 13,028,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I thought I was the only one that noticed that poor and lower-middle-class Pittsburghers seem to be much friendlier than the "progressive, educated, upper-middle-class" types the city is universally trying to attract these days. It's quite rare that someone in Squirrel Hill (not anti-Semitic) or Point Breeze will attempt to strike up a random conversation with me or bother to make a feeble attempt at carrying on one that I initiate myself. If I'm walking around Millvale, Polish Hill, or Greenfield I've had much more success with people being overtly friendly and accommodating.

Wow, this really is one of SCR's alternative Tuesdays (or Wednesdays as it were).

And you should take even your own "random conversation" anecdotes with a grain of salt. As long as someone isn't rude in response to your good-faith attempts to chat, I don't see the issue. You don't know if they have things to do or places to be. I'm big on both chatting up random people and, whenever possible, engaging those who are interested in having a conversation with me (sometimes to my girlfriend's lament ), but sometimes I'm busy or tired or simply not in the mood.

P.S.: as much as I find your blanket generalizations irritating, one thing I know you're not is anti-Semitic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: