Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:33 PM

492 posts, read 2,370,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnedYinzer View Post
I read that article a while back. I grew up in the burbs of Pittsburgh then hit other cities after college. I returned and never been to the slopes before, until after reading that article. I walked up city stairs on the flats, and went up the slopes. Walked all around them, and up streets with stairs next to them. I thought they were amazing. No other city has areas like that.
I had never explored the slopes until after reading that article as well. It sure is a unique place. Not my favorite Pittsburgh neighborhood, but the views are great. It's got an almost third-world appeal, that of houses slapped up the side of a hill.

Ok, well I've got to stop thinking about Pittsburgh. I'm really getting homesick now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,664 times
This has been an interesting thread for me for a variety of reasons. My husband and I are planning to move to Pittsburgh this summer from the bay area, CA. My husband went to CMU and loved Pittsburgh and he is delighted to be coming back. I am a native Californian (8 generations) so I'm a bit nervous. The research I've done on PGH has indicated that MWS seem to be one of the more ethnically/culturally diverse areas of the city. I have also noticed a few places stating that MWS also tends to be one of the more concentrated areas of the GLBT community. Do these statements tend to be basically true?

For a little background: I grew up in poverty in So Cal. I've had a number of drive by shootings past my house growing up. I have lived in extremely high crime/gang areas and it takes a lot before I really feel "unsafe." However, we are moving to Pittsburgh because I'm pregnant (yay!) and raising children in the bay area is financially prohibitive. I don't really want my children to have as rough of a childhood as I had, but I also don't feel any need to lock myself and my children into the suburbs because I feel that learning to deal with some level of risk is healthy.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that I am feeling a bit apprehensive about losing the cultural and ethnic diversity that has enriched my life so much. I would like it if my children were able to grow up in an area that had a mix of races, cultures, and socio-economic classes. Is there an area of Pittsburgh that would encourage this the most? I'm really ok with needing to lock my doors at night in order to live in a neighborhood where I can have these things.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:47 AM

107 posts, read 350,198 times
You won't find areas as much as So Cal. However, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill is where I will be moving in a month. They tend to be a little more mixed, young, and good city neighborhoods. THe MWS are weird. The areas designated the Historical MWS are clean, professional, and there are family's with kids, etc. However, right outside of them it is run down and shady. Visit the city and drive around the neighborhoods before choosing is the best thing to do. Pop city has a good description of neighborhoods you may want. The Friendship arts district is cool, and much cheaper then Shadyside. If I chose the Shadyside area, I would live there I think since it is cheaper.

Pop City - Pittsburgh Neighborhoods (http://www.popcitymedia.com/neighborhoods/Default.aspx - broken link)

Old 01-02-2008, 12:05 PM

237 posts, read 859,736 times
JustSomeGirl -

I have no experience living on the MWS (though the church I attend is near there), but I just wanted to throw out another neighborhood you might like.

I live in Lawrenceville. It is a huge neighborhood (about 15,000 people) so it has its good areas and its bad. It has really been on the upswing in recent years. Right now, it seems the artists and musicians are really gravitating there, though you still have families, old-timers, and even recent immigrants.

Sometimes the progress seems slow, but actually, I feel really good about that. I think folks want it to become a better neighborhood without necessarily becoming an over-priced, gentrified kind of place. At least, I hope they don't want it to become that.

Though I don't have kids, I think it would be kind of neat to raise children in that kind of atmosphere - where the kids could be exposed to the arts and other ways of life and the kids and the neighborhood could grow together.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:41 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,176 times
I always enjoy threads like this. I live in Moon now, but I'm considering moving much closer to the city after I graduate from RMU and like hearing whether or not it's a good idea and, if so, where to move to and where not to move to.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:01 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGirl View Post
This has been an interesting thread for me for a variety of reasons. My husband and I are planning to move to Pittsburgh this summer from the bay area, CA. My husband went to CMU and loved Pittsburgh and he is delighted to be coming back. I am a native Californian (8 generations) so I'm a bit nervous. The research I've done on PGH has indicated that MWS seem to be one of the more ethnically/culturally diverse areas of the city. I have also noticed a few places stating that MWS also tends to be one of the more concentrated areas of the GLBT community. Do these statements tend to be basically true?

For a little background: I grew up in poverty in So Cal. I've had a number of drive by shootings past my house growing up. I have lived in extremely high crime/gang areas and it takes a lot before I really feel "unsafe." However, we are moving to Pittsburgh because I'm pregnant (yay!) and raising children in the bay area is financially prohibitive. I don't really want my children to have as rough of a childhood as I had, but I also don't feel any need to lock myself and my children into the suburbs because I feel that learning to deal with some level of risk is healthy.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that I am feeling a bit apprehensive about losing the cultural and ethnic diversity that has enriched my life so much. I would like it if my children were able to grow up in an area that had a mix of races, cultures, and socio-economic classes. Is there an area of Pittsburgh that would encourage this the most? I'm really ok with needing to lock my doors at night in order to live in a neighborhood where I can have these things.
I have always felt that *you* are the biggest influence on your children.

I was raised in a very white Cranberry Township -- moved there in 1964, and hubby was born and raised in Beaver -- and although we didn't have diversity like we all talk about here, when I got married and moved to the Bay Area, CA -- both my husband and I were non-plussed by all the different cultures and people. That's not exactly what I mean -- we enjoy the multicultural stuff, but we never looked at it all like they were from outer space, or that it's a quaint leftover from the old country if you get my drift.

And I think we have our parents to thank for that. My Dad was very involved with the Methodist Church, and he saw to it we were all confirmed. Which means we took classes. So our church talked a lot about the Jewish faith, as it pertained to the Christian faith, so I learned a lot about that.

My Dad was wrecked when Martin Luther King was assassinated. And my parents talked to me about that, and how wrong it was, and why it happened.

So, in my opinion, if you are open to that sort of diversity and soak it in when you find it and also share it with your kids, your kids will be too -- even if they aren't exposed to it on a daily basis.

Good luck!!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnedYinzer View Post
You won't find areas as much as So Cal. However, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill is where I will be moving in a month. They tend to be a little more mixed, young, and good city neighborhoods. THe MWS are weird. The areas designated the Historical MWS are clean, professional, and there are family's with kids, etc. However, right outside of them it is run down and shady. Visit the city and drive around the neighborhoods before choosing is the best thing to do. Pop city has a good description of neighborhoods you may want. The Friendship arts district is cool, and much cheaper then Shadyside. If I chose the Shadyside area, I would live there I think since it is cheaper.

Pop City - Pittsburgh Neighborhoods (http://www.popcitymedia.com/neighborhoods/Default.aspx - broken link)

I wouldn't suggest Shadyside or Squirrel Hill for the original poster. Those ARE NOT racially diverse areas at all. I think Friendship and Lawrenceville would be good suggestions.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:22 AM

97 posts, read 216,678 times
I moved to the northside - the East when I was 21, close to 30 years ago

Old 04-01-2008, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,506 times
I'm thinking of moving into this neighborhood and reading this thread has been encouraging despite the recent shootings I've heard about near the Manteca Bar.

I've found a really nice, cheap apartment, however, the apt is near Jacksonia. That's one of the "bad" streets, correct? Like, how bad, currently?

I'm a little, Blonde, white girl; will I get hassled very much? I'm not interested in going to the nearby bars or going out late at night or involving myself in criminal activity so I don't think I should have an overwhelming problem other than the threat of random violence (which could happen just as easily in other neighborhoods).

Thoughts?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:19 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,159 times
I bought a pad up on top of the hill on the North Side.. ( Perry Hill Top) The views of the city are the best and the house I purchased is really cool. The neighborhood is feeling the effects of urban decay. The crime spurt has not moved onto my street but certainly 'thugs' move around and through my street area. I sure wish I'd see more 'beat patrol police' walking the streets. Once you loose a neighborhood it's tough getting it back.
With great architecture in place and a great deal of cultural diversity and opportunity it is a shame the city is not doing more in promoting and supporting this historical section of Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh