Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 01:33 PM

147 posts, read 292,896 times

Advertisements

Downtown generally gets pretty deserted after dark. It can be a tad sketchy on certain blocks at night, but I've been out drunk at 3AM walking to 7-11 and never been bothered. Obviously the usual rules regarding street smarts apply, but it's definitely safer than many downtown areas of major cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 07:53 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,149 times
ive noticed a few people who moved downtown..only to find themselves out in the east end, south side, waterworks or waterfront areas for fun and then complain about downtown itself(how long it takes to get home, how to get home if not driving, if they can find a way home without paying uber/lyft).

why any student of pitt be it undergrad or grad would want to live in downtown is beyond me, especially if new to town.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:51 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post

why any student of pitt be it undergrad or grad would want to live in downtown is beyond me, especially if new to town.

Downtown to Oakland isn't that far, there is good bus service between town and Pitt. The cost of rent in town is pretty high and that's a bummer, but if the student doesn't have a problem with paying it, it isn't any less convenient than a student living in Highland, Lawrenceville or Regent Square.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:53 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
ive noticed a few people who moved downtown..only to find themselves out in the east end, south side, waterworks or waterfront areas for fun and then complain about downtown itself(how long it takes to get home, how to get home if not driving, if they can find a way home without paying uber/lyft).

I rarely ventured Downtown when I went to Pitt because it was basically a dead zone. Things seem to be picking up, however. Also, if it's still the case that you can get more bang for your buck in the Golden Triangle than Oakland/Shadyside/Squirrel Hill, I could see the appeal. Getting to Oakland is certainly easy enough.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:09 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
I live downtown now, and often get back to my humble residence by bicycle, down Penn Avenue, then up Sixth Street.

If you are a Pitt Student, what with Pitt shuttles, a Washington Plaza shuttle, and your time a devoted to Oakland and your studies....in 4 months, you will have forgotten you asked this question and may even feel silly about it.

But yes, be smart about it. And its OK not to feel guilty about not giving money to the person who asks for it.

Good luck at Pitt!

Old 07-19-2014, 04:48 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven P. View Post
Downtown generally gets pretty deserted after dark. .
Is this really true (and let's ignore getting dark at different times during year aspect)? We go downtown to eat or see some gig/show/game maybe every 2 weeks on average, and have never really seen it dead. Case in point - Neko Case gig on a Monday night recently. We struggled to get a seat in Seviche during happy hour (about 6.30), Meat and Potatoes was pretty much full when we had a pre-gig beer at 7.30-ish - standing room only, and we grabbed a quick one on way to bus stop at a bar who's name I forget about 10.30 (not far from Byham) and there's was plenty of folks in there at 10.30-ish.

Not bad for a Monday night ....

Old 07-19-2014, 06:46 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Is this really true (and let's ignore getting dark at different times during year aspect)? We go downtown to eat or see some gig/show/game maybe every 2 weeks on average, and have never really seen it dead. Case in point - Neko Case gig on a Monday night recently. We struggled to get a seat in Seviche during happy hour (about 6.30), Meat and Potatoes was pretty much full when we had a pre-gig beer at 7.30-ish - standing room only, and we grabbed a quick one on way to bus stop at a bar who's name I forget about 10.30 (not far from Byham) and there's was plenty of folks in there at 10.30-ish.

Not bad for a Monday night ....
Usually when people say that Downtown is dead at night it's because they haven't actually lived here for years.

If downtown is so dead, why is it so hard to get a table at a restaurant?

Old 07-19-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Usually when people say that Downtown is dead at night it's because they haven't actually lived here for years.

If downtown is so dead, why is it so hard to get a table at a restaurant?

There was a lot more commercial activity at night in town years ago, than there is now.

Right now, there is a lot fewer restaurants than there was in the 70's in town. Some newer places have opened up, but the number of replacements doesn't make up for the joints that have closed.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:18 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
There was a lot more commercial activity at night in town years ago, than there is now.

Right now, there is a lot fewer restaurants than there was in the 70's in town. Some newer places have opened up, but the number of replacements doesn't make up for the joints that have closed.
Mondays and Thursdays, the department stores (and some of the other stores) were open until 9:00 PM.
Nowadays, Macy's Downtown is open until 7:00 PM, Saturday through Wednesday, until 6:00 Thursdays, and 5:00 Fridays.
Burlington Coat is open until 8:00, everyday but Sunday, open until 5:00.

Last edited by doo dah; 07-19-2014 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: edited to add, +2

Old 07-19-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Mondays and Thursdays, the department stores (and some of the other stores) were open until 9:00 PM.
Nowadays, Macy's Downtown is open until 7:00 PM, Saturday through Wednesday, until 6:00 Thursdays, and 5:00 Fridays.
Burlington Coat is open until 8:00, everyday but Sunday, open until 5:00.

In the 70's, it wasn't just the retail department stores that generated restaurant business.

Large movie theaters like the Warner, Gateway, Fulton and Stanley all brought in crowds for early and late shows. More night life opportunities as well in Market Square, around Froggy's on "first side", on 6th St. as well.

Western Pennsylvania's smut industry generated a lot of business for bars and restaurants in the Liberty Avenue corridor, peepshows and massage parlors never closed. There was a lot of criticism of Liberty Ave., but it really made town a 24 hour neighborhood and helped non-smut related commerce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh