Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:29 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,683 times

Advertisements

Related letter to the editor regarding the Pittsburgh Left. Debate rages on in the letter's comments: Letter: The 'Pittsburgh left' isn't cute; it's dangerous - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The PL legalities and the Northeast/Midwest/etc classification of Pittsburgh will probably never be settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 10:56 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
It happens to me almost every time I drive.
Wow, you must be the first car at a red-light often and in a very interesting area. I never see this in East Liberty or around the East End. There are almost always pedestrians crossing, so how would one do it? Run someone over? Name a few intersections this happens. I would like to see this old wives' tale.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:02 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
I have had cars nearly run me over as a pedestrian when they did a Pittsburgh Left right in front of me.

To clear up confusion: if you give permission for someone to do a left in front of you then that is not a Pittsburgh left. If you get caught in the middle of an intersection and have to turn after the light is red that is not a Pittsburgh Left.

If someone cuts off the oncoming lane by making a left after the light turns, that is a Pittsburgh Left.

Video example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAYD85kOP0Q

Old 08-04-2014, 11:07 AM

618 posts, read 692,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Well said. I'd rep you if I could. ... during my rental car ride from Dulles airport to DC in peak hour recently I experienced more aggressive and dumb driving than I have in Pittsburgh this year. There's some crazies out there, for sure, but really ....
Drivers here may be alternatively either timid and clueless or pointlessly aggressive, but in DC there is a solid block of downright confused and terrible drivers that are a serious hazard if you're not aware enough to avoid/stay away from them. By comparison, people here who don't know their way around tend to slow to a crawl, other traffic be damned, until they make a decision. Not saying either is better, but DC has some horrifyingly terrible (fast) drivers.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:19 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Wow, you must be the first car at a red-light often and in a very interesting area. I never see this in East Liberty or around the East End. There are almost always pedestrians crossing, so how would one do it? Run someone over? Name a few intersections this happens. I would like to see this old wives' tale.

Okay, I will name just a few: Fifth and Bigelow Blvd (there often are pedestrians and the turner doesn't care--they will just block oncoming traffic); Lilac and Beechwood; Monitor and Shady. No old wives here.
Your incredulity that it almost always happens to me is surpassed by mine that it has never happened to you, especially since you have probably driven here 30 years longer than I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I have had cars nearly run me over as a pedestrian when they did a Pittsburgh Left right in front of me.

To clear up confusion: if you give permission for someone to do a left in front of you then that is not a Pittsburgh left. If you get caught in the middle of an intersection and have to turn after the light is red that is not a Pittsburgh Left.

If someone cuts off the oncoming lane by making a left after the light turns, that is a Pittsburgh Left.
Exactly.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Do you think that, just maybe, it is the people who are moving here that are bringing their antagonisms with them? I know that is going against your heart-felt beliefs...oh noes, guess I am just another one of those mean, mean Pittsburghers...:tape :
People love to blame everybody else. People in most every larger city have poor driving habits. There are crazy people everywhere. Its not just limited to da 'burgh.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
People love to blame everybody else. People in most every larger city have poor driving habits. There are crazy people everywhere. Its not just limited to da 'burgh.
No, but it's different bad driving issues in every town. Here in CO they don't do the Pittsburgh left, but many people run red lights, including making left turns on reds. You kind of have to know the rules of where you are.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, but it's different bad driving issues in every town. Here in CO they don't do the Pittsburgh left, but many people run red lights, including making left turns on reds. You kind of have to know the rules of where you are.
Yep...and those things don't change. Adapt or don't drive.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:47 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I was in Colorado a few months ago and the driving there was a dozen times more pleasant than it is in Pittsburgh. I wasn't stressed out whatsoever driving there as opposed to how I dread getting on the road at rush hour here.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:05 PM

It's interesting how many of the complaints, especially those from people that moved here, that where they came from was so much better. Crazy why one would move here with all these grass is greener comments. Driving, food, shopping, etc..., is always claimed to be better someplace else. And those that are local are always saying the grass is greener someplace else. Interesting for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh