Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 06:43 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,836 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone --we moved to Pittsburgh a year ago, fell in love with the Northside, and found a lovely old house up on Spring Hill. I've spent some time lately reading through the threads on here -- especially the ones that discuss the Northside, of course -- and I'm impressed with how much many of you know about Pittsburgh's historic architecture.

Some of you probably know about the old brick church on Rhine Street at the top of our hill, a few blocks past the intersection with Itin. I know a bit about American architecture, enough to know that it's an absolutely lovely building -- but I also know enough to know that the collapsed roof is a clear sign that the building is dying. I'd like to know if anyone has practical advice about how to save it.

1) I've picked up some informal information from neighbors -- apparently the building is privately owned by someone who grew up around here, bought it for sentimental reasons, and then didn't maintain it. Does anyone know more about this particular situation? Or does anyone have good advice about who might know?

2) On a practical level -- if the building is privately owned, there might be nothing much anyone can do. Does anyone know of guidelines for how to protest a building of historic significance that deserves to be saved? In other words, is there any legal basis in a case like this for forcing the owner to give up the building if he/she has let it rot?

3) I've thought about reaching out to various city organizations -- I know of a few -- that promote architectural preservation. Does anyone have *specific* advice about reaching out? My guess is that, Pittsburgh being the beautiful old rust belt city that it is, these organizations are swamped with cries for help, so I am hoping for some fairly specific tips about getting through to the right people who might be willing to help.

I imagine a fair number of people will come on here to say that this particular building isn't really worth saving and nobody cares; I'm anticipating that will happen in the real world too, and so I'm curious to hear everyone's comments. For what it's worth, we picked Spring Hill in part because E Ohio, Chestnut, Itin, and Rhine streets have tons and tons of architectural potential, and we thought that by living here, paying taxes here, and speaking up on behalf of this lovely area we might get some other people to see what we see. I've been really happy to notice some Spring Hill fans on this forum, which is why I'm hoping my post will be met with at least some sympathy from other locals.

cheers,
RPT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 10:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
I lived on Spring Hill in my 20s. I believe my ex still lives there.

Here's the owner's contact information and how much he paid for it in 2009.

Allegheny County Assessment

This is how I'd approach it. Contact him to see if he's willing to sell or donate the property to a nonprofit. If he's willing, find or establish a nonprofit. Raise funds to buy it and restore it. It could be a community center or a library. Since he bought it for sentimental reasons, he may be willing to sell it or donate it if it's repurposed for the community. It never hurts to try.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:34 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,533,270 times
This article mentions the church.

Walkabout: One church saved, another near it needs angels' help - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 08-04-2014, 01:08 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Member "PreservationPioneer" is our resident expert on all things historic preservation in and around Allegheny County. He should be along soon to help!

Old 08-04-2014, 01:16 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Member "PreservationPioneer" is our resident expert on all things historic preservation in and around Allegheny County. He should be along soon to help!
He hasn't been around lately. I am sure he had a post on his blog about this church though....lemme see...here it is.

In general, churches are hard buildings to repurpose, because they're really not well-served for being anything except...well, churches. You can't really make them into housing or office space easily. Some have been repurposed into concert spaces in the area, and Church Brew Works is of course a former church, but that's about it.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In general, churches are hard buildings to repurpose, because they're really not well-served for being anything except...well, churches. You can't really make them into housing or office space easily. Some have been repurposed into concert spaces in the area, and Church Brew Works is of course a former church, but that's about it.
I've seen quite a few churches that were repurposed into houses, offices, private schools, social work offices, bars, banquet halls, daycare centers, hair salon/spas, etc. This particular one has a lot of potential, especially for a home because it's not huge.

Last edited by Hopes; 08-04-2014 at 02:58 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 02:58 PM

I'm sort of into converted churches (and barns, but that's another thread). You can buy them pretty cheap. My husband and I almost bought one in a county south of Allegheny, but it was under contract by the time we called the realtor.

Here are some links to some churches that were repurposed into houses.

13 church conversion projects worth praising » BuzzBuzzHome News

Join the*congregation - desire to inspire - desiretoinspire.net

Old Heritage Church Converted into Contemporary Home

Extraordinary church in San Francisco converted into a modern residence

A temple to modern interior design: Former Knightsbridge church converted into £50m luxury home complete with gym, pool and sauna | Mail Online

Old 08-04-2014, 04:01 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Pittsburgh has had a lot of repurposed churches.

on the South Side- St. Matthew and St. Michael into housing, church across from the BP into a bar, City Theatre was a church, ditto for the office space at 21 and Sidney. I lived in still another repurposed church on S. 18th and Carey Way, Philip Pelusi lived and worked in a repurposed church behind Mario's.

Elsewhere, Altar Bar was a church, so was the market across Penn from Wholey's, hookah bar at Bates and Atwood, St. Mary's on the North Side is a banquet hall on Avery, I attended my high school reunion at a converted church across from the PO in McKees Rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh