Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:58 PM

252 posts, read 348,428 times

Advertisements

UPMC, city drop legal fight over taxes - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quote:
Mr. Peduto said future discussions will focus not just on a payment in lieu of taxes, but also on “other opportunities to really become a good neighbor” that could include housing developments, job training or youth programs ... “The problem was ... they had a gun to our head and we had a gun to theirs."
Bill Peduto talks about why Pittsburgh dropped UPMC lawsuit - Pittsburgh Business Times

Do you think Ravenstahl's lawsuit was a bad approach? Or was it simply one that could only be taken by a lame-duck mayor? I hope, as Peduto claims, that future discussions can result in making UPMC a "better neighbor" in ways beyond just taxes. After all, we wouldn't want another/more [insert your least favorite UPMC action here-- one of mine would be the Syria Mosque].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 04:37 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,103,495 times
More status quo from Mr. Peduto.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:00 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,699,251 times
What exactly is 'status quo' for Peduto at this point?

Old 07-30-2014, 09:36 PM

146 posts, read 133,879 times
A payment in lieu of taxes = a political kickback. Peduto and UPMC have come to an agreement where UPMC agrees to play ball and make a generous donation to the local Democrats each and every year in exchange for the dems calling off their social justice mob idiots and allowing them to run their "non-profit" tax-free. This is how business is done in Pittsburgh, don't doubt that.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:50 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,095,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan14 View Post
A payment in lieu of taxes = a political kickback. Peduto and UPMC have come to an agreement where UPMC agrees to play ball and make a generous donation to the local Democrats each and every year in exchange for the dems calling off their social justice mob idiots and allowing them to run their "non-profit" tax-free. This is how business is done in Pittsburgh, don't doubt that.
Proof?

Old 07-31-2014, 07:22 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Proof?
Here you go: https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/tot...298&cycle=2014

There's really no info as to how it plays out on a local level, but there is clear evidence that UPMC gives a big ol' chunk of change to Democrats and in the end they can do whatever the hell they want. According to Opensecrets they have shelled out around $20 million in contributions and lobbying since 1998 (and that's just the stuff on paper, who knows what kind of backdoor deals go one).

Not too damn bad for a non-profit eh?

Old 07-31-2014, 08:09 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,095,360 times
Maybe I am misreading the graphs (can't multi-task everything!) but it looks like they have a higher amount contributed to Republicans in 2014?

"Non-profit". Oh, I know

Old 07-31-2014, 08:42 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Maybe I am misreading the graphs (can't multi-task everything!) but it looks like they have a higher amount contributed to Republicans in 2014?

"Non-profit". Oh, I know
So far yeah, but we still have a few months for them to catch up. Besides, it's amazing how either party can be swayed when you use legal bribery.

With that being said, I guess UPMC has won the battle yet again. The fact that the mayor wants to "play nice" with a company that is directly responsible for his city being as broke as it is really tells me that he's being puppeted just like the last guy. Maybe he'll rattle some sabers again in the future and get absolutely nothing in the way of extra money from UPMC.

It's all one big joke.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:06 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
So far yeah, but we still have a few months for them to catch up. Besides, it's amazing how either party can be swayed when you use legal bribery.

With that being said, I guess UPMC has won the battle yet again. The fact that the mayor wants to "play nice" with a company that is directly responsible for his city being as broke as it is really tells me that he's being puppeted just like the last guy. Maybe he'll rattle some sabers again in the future and get absolutely nothing in the way of extra money from UPMC.

It's all one big joke.
It will be interesting to see how the next several months play out. This is the first year they gave to republicans more. Interesting, but not surprising. Even if they hide it this year, next year IMHO would still be in play as far as the behind the scenes crap goes.

UPMC is a big bully in our region, but can we learn anything from them and how governments treat them? I think we can. Lower taxes on corporations and let them flourish in our region. There is more tax money rolling in if more and more people are employed. The levels of taxation on corporations is ridiculous. From Property, to stockholder/dividend, to corporate income and more. Not to mention the wage taxes on each person working for companies. Sure is a backwards way of doing business and Pittsburgh would see a ton of growth if they would think more long term instead of socking companies up front. Look at how fast UPMC and Pitt have grown. What if we treated all companies with such a wonderful environment?

Old 07-31-2014, 10:47 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,414,461 times
Quote:
Here you go: https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/tot...298&cycle=2014

There's really no info as to how it plays out on a local level, but there is clear evidence that UPMC gives a big ol' chunk of change to Democrats and in the end they can do whatever the hell they want. According to Opensecrets they have shelled out around $20 million in contributions and lobbying since 1998 (and that's just the stuff on paper, who knows what kind of backdoor deals go one).

Not too damn bad for a non-profit eh?
Quote:

The fact that the mayor wants to "play nice" with a company that is directly responsible for his city being as broke as it is really tells me that he's being puppeted just like the last guy.
Ah yes, so I guess the inner workings of the Pittsburgh city government and operations are not a factor in the city being broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: