Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 05:00 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
Dear Husband and Dear Daughter
Ha, I thought she was referring to some kind of pet that was a year & a half old

Last edited by UKyank; 08-04-2014 at 05:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 05:36 AM

4 posts, read 3,450 times
Thanks for the tips re: Brookline and the west Busway! Hadn't thought of those areas before.

And good points about the possibility of the LTR breaking down. Does that happen very frequently??

Old 08-04-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I took the t for years, backups do not happen much, when they do busses are called out. Bethel park and castle shannon are nice areas. I lived in alvern gardens in castle shannon, it was a short walk to the t. That area is nice because the red, blue, and library lines all travel that section of track. There is No waiting in town, just grab first car.
Great ideas, thanks! Just looked up castle shannon, that area also seems very nice.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:31 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmore06 View Post
Thanks for the tips re: Brookline and the west Busway! Hadn't thought of those areas before.

And good points about the possibility of the LTR breaking down. Does that happen very frequently??
Usually 3-4 times a year for a few hours in the early morning. It is usually weather-related but once in a while there will be a stuck car, downed line, etc...

The busway is very reliable, though you do get stuck in downtown traffic, depending on your schedule. I can be downtown in 15 minutes in the morning, and my commute home is usually around 30 minutes (working a 6:30 - 3:30 schedule).

Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 AM

618 posts, read 691,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
Usually 3-4 times a year for a few hours in the early morning. It is usually weather-related but once in a while there will be a stuck car, downed line, etc...

The busway is very reliable, though you do get stuck in downtown traffic, depending on your schedule. I can be downtown in 15 minutes in the morning, and my commute home is usually around 30 minutes (working a 6:30 - 3:30 schedule).
Though issues do occur, they are rare. There was one morning after an ice storm but even then the delays were only around 20 minutes. The T is usually to the minute reliable and shoots out of town regardless of traffic, which is the serious benefit to consider, especially in the evenings. I've had minor delays no more than 3 or 4 times in the past year of riding the T in the morning rush and shortly after the evening rush. You couldn't pay me to deal with the tunnel traffic instead with the promise of $300+/month parking.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:33 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
Though issues do occur, they are rare. There was one morning after an ice storm but even then the delays were only around 20 minutes. The T is usually to the minute reliable and shoots out of town regardless of traffic, which is the serious benefit to consider, especially in the evenings. I've had minor delays no more than 3 or 4 times in the past year of riding the T in the morning rush and shortly after the evening rush. You couldn't pay me to deal with the tunnel traffic instead with the promise of $300+/month parking.
Agreed. Aligning ourselves close to dedicated public transportation lines was very important to us when choosing a neighborhood. They can cut bus routes but will never cut service via the T or busways. Either method of public transport is very reliable.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:30 AM

32 posts, read 56,126 times
You asked if there were other neighborhoods to consider, so I'd say you could also look at North Side neighborhoods to see if they're a good fit for you. May not be walkable to the T, but are a really short drive. And on weekends or evenings, it offers a quick and easy drive into nearly any part of the city or wherever you want to go.

We're in Brighton Heights. Our area is generally quiet, family-oriented, and a little bit suburban feeling. The boyfriend makes the commute to downtown -- quick drive, park, and T. Door to door in under 30 minutes. Parking is cheaper than downtown. Problems with the T service can happen, but are pretty rare. In his opinion, it's great.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestion re: north side. Door to door in 30 minutes is fantastic! That is definitely my goal to find that as well. Seems like the T breakdowns are fairly uncommon and probably happen less than the number of times per year that I find myself in a huge traffic show stopper in my current area. Day to day sounds pretty good.

So - from the northside - can pedestrians cross over the roberto clemente bridge? Are any of the other bridges pedestrian friendly?

Old 08-05-2014, 01:22 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmore06 View Post
So - from the northside - can pedestrians cross over the roberto clemente bridge? Are any of the other bridges pedestrian friendly?
All the bridges from the Northside into downtown are pedestrian friendly. Ft. Duquesne, Clemente (6th), Warhol (7th), Carson (9th) and McCullough (16th) all have segregated sidewalks/ walkways. In addition, the T is free from the north shore into town.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:19 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
When it is 10 and the wind is blowing along the river, the t will be your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh