Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 07:35 AM

288 posts, read 511,364 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experience with replacing windows? I was going through Angie's List looking for companies that do window replacements, but it seems from reviews that pricing is drastically higher than advertisements I see everywhere. I'm pretty much looking for the most basic window, installed competently. Anyone have any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:50 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Thermo-twin in Oakmont is good, but the key to window installation is the install itself. Ask for Dan to install and you will do well. I suspect a lot of window companies have reviews from bad to good because of install issues. If most windows are installed well, they have a lot less stress on them and will last a very long time. I am very pleased with my windows, but they are not white vinyl, that seems to be the norm. I recommend getting sand color if your home is brick and it works with the color scheme. White looks like crap for the most part, unless it is on a home that was meant for it. Also the windows are made by them, so they don't have to wait for some shipment from China to fix an issue. I had one issue and it was replaced right away. I would do the same thing again if I needed new windows, but I would want the same installer. If he has moved to another place, I would dig around to find him.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:07 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
Windows are not very hard to do. The just get tricky when you need to wrap the outside.
Avoid home depot and lowes, they are over priced. I buy from modern builders supply in the north side. If youdont do it youtself they will give you names of installers

Old 08-04-2014, 08:09 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
I have also had a good experience with Thermo-twin and their installation. So far, not problems and they were much cheaper than Anderson and the like. If you are getting a whole house done, you should try to negotiate on the price.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:11 AM

288 posts, read 511,364 times
What should installation on single hung, standard sized windows cost?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:33 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
It depends on the size, color, tinting, low e, argon filled, grids, and double or triple pane options. double hungs are cheaper most of the time. Total cost 300-400 range with window included.

My company installs, but i am not looking for work. I know a few contractors who started to sub there work out to windows r us. Guess they are cheaper then doing it in house

Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Windows are not very hard to do. The just get tricky when you need to wrap the outside.
Avoid home depot and lowes, they are over priced. I buy from modern builders supply in the north side. If youdont do it youtself they will give you names of installers
The wrapping of the outside is also where the price goes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: