Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 09:09 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,525,157 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite coffee spots in Pittsburgh? The scene has improved decently over the past decade or so. I'd still like to see more high quality coffee spots in the burgh, but here are my favorites today, in order.

Big Dog- The only coffee shop that I know of in Pittsburgh that serves Intelligentsia coffee... a favorite of mine. Good atmosphere, seating, and plenty of room. Oatmeal bar.
Espresso a mano- Good coffee, ok atmosphere, and the sandwiches from E2 are a great bonus.

Taza D'Oro- Good coffee, pretty bland inside, but nice tables outside in a nice part of Highland Park.
Voluto-Good pour over options, but overpriced.
21st St Coffee- Again, good pour overs but way overpriced. Odd location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 09:16 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,245,161 times
I'm a big fan of cappuccinos at Marty's Market in the Strip. They're Sydney standard

I also frequent Taza D'Oro's CMU 'branch' and the French café on Craig - Crepes Parisiennes. Both serve pretty good cappuccinos.

I ride past Espresso a mano all the time. Must stop and drink.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:20 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
21st Street serves Intelligensia too and they have two locations. But they're way overpriced and some of their baristas are total jags. I think Big Dog gets the nod as my favorite coffee shop in the city. Although I do love Cannon Coffee in Brookline too. Tazo rules of course as well.

I'm a bit of a coffee dork and mostly brew everything at home and don't visit too many coffee houses these days though. V60, Kalita Wave, Aeropress, French Press, cold brew, espresso shots, I can do it all in my kitchen at a fraction of the price.

Best local roaster is Commonplace by far, but they are expensive. I have had Zeke's and didn't think their beans were that great at all. Prestogeorge over roasts the beans too much for my taste and Nicholas' beans are never fresh (but they actually do give them a proper medium roast).

Old 07-25-2014, 09:22 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,829,270 times
I like Biddle's Escape... though I've only had their smoothies.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,699,251 times
Constellation Coffee on Penn Ave near Main St in Lville/Bloomfield is the underground sleeper coffee haven that nobody knows about. You're welcome!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:25 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,699,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Big Dog- The only coffee shop that I know of in Pittsburgh that serves Intelligentsia coffee... a favorite of mine.
Isn't 21st St also Intelligentsia?

Old 07-25-2014, 09:30 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,245,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
21st Street serves Intelligensia too and they have two locations. But they're way overpriced and some of their baristas are total jags. I think Big Dog gets the nod as my favorite coffee shop in the city. Although I do love Cannon Coffee in Brookline too. Tazo rules of course as well.

I'm a bit of a coffee dork and mostly brew everything at home and don't visit too many coffee houses these days though. V60, Kalita Wave, Aeropress, French Press, cold brew, espresso shots, I can do it all in my kitchen at a fraction of the price.

Best local roaster is Commonplace by far, but they are expensive. I have had Zeke's and didn't think their beans were that great at all. Prestogeorge over roasts the beans too much for my taste and Nicholas' beans are never fresh (but they actually do give them a proper medium roast).
coffee sampling at Aqua's place

Old 07-25-2014, 09:39 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,164,961 times
I like Delanie's Coffee on Carson Street.

I am so not surprised ATC is a coffee snob. It is exactly how I imagine him.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:42 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,722,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I like Delanie's Coffee on Carson Street.

I am so not surprised ATC is a coffee snob. It is exactly how I imagine him.
Thanks sweety.

Also connoisseur =/= snob. Zero judgements for people who like Starbucks or Dunkin. I myself will drink Crazy Mocha once in awhile. Whatever floats your boat.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:55 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,829,270 times
Are there any coffeeshops in the Mt. Oliver / Carrick area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh