Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:16 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
What about your pinkie finger when you drink your soy-latte?
Nothing could taste as embarrassing as thinking "fro-yo" is something new must feel.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:24 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The "Yinzers" are generally slow to adopt new technology, are resistant to change, and tend to get in the way in what is evolving into a more and more fast-paced city each and every year. The people who couldn't figure out how to put cash into the farebox, thereby making BlackBeauty's bus late, were indeed probably the same "Yinzers" I had to endure while working at PNC who were "afraid" of the ATM---a machine which has been around for decades.
I'll never understand this complaint. Your job as a bank teller was to be a human version of the ATM (Automated Teller Machine). If everyone used the ATM, you wouldn't have a job. Who cares about the reason for wanting to complete their transaction at the counter?

In addition, you complained about the droves of pompous UPMC employees that treated you so poorly. Were these doctors yinzers who were afraid of the ATM?

If yinzers are such great conversationalists, then why did you have to "endure" them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The "Progressives" largely draw my scorn even more than "Yinzers" because while they know how to keep up with the dynamics of society most (not all) think they have all the answers, yet when they are pressed on issues quickly reveal how shallow and limited their knowledge of, well, pretty much everything truly is.
Oy, vey!

Old 08-18-2014, 10:12 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Wait...am I one of these Progressive Yinzers from Brookline????

Anywho, I didn't read this thread for a few days, and as I play a little catch up after getting back from Bikram Yoga, listening to Enya this morning, drinking my instant coffee, and eating a chip chop ham sandwhich (because as we know, chipping makes it hammier!); low and behold I find myself in a neat little box. A box that is located inside the house I bought cheap for the sole reason of hoping to make easy money while driving up the rent in my neighborhood.

All of this, and I still wonder what a surcharge for cash paying customers will solve? Won't that just make them spend more time digging for nickels in their purses? If anything, cash paying riders of PAT should pay less to cut down on the time it takes to put the money in the machine.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Care to address the question re: the solution that you posed in the title of this thread?

"You board last when paying in cash"

I want to know, so that I don't upset you if I'm getting on the same bus as you.

I'm standing at a bus stop, along with 25 other folks.
Do we start a poll before the bus comes to find out who's paying with cash and who isn't? (and ask everyone as they wander over if they have cash or not?)
Otherwise, how will we know the order that we're to get on the bus?
Cash payers should know their place, and just always board the bus last. They should also sit in the back of the bus, and have to give up their seat to ConnectCard holders.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:04 AM

831 posts, read 878,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Cash payers should know their place, and just always board the bus last. They should also sit in the back of the bus, and have to give up their seat to ConnectCard holders.

How will I know when it's ok to board, if I don't know where the card holders stop?

Old 08-18-2014, 11:18 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
I'll never understand this complaint. Your job as a bank teller was to be a human version of the ATM (Automated Teller Machine). If everyone used the ATM, you wouldn't have a job. Who cares about the reason for wanting to complete their transaction at the counter?

In addition, you complained about the droves of pompous UPMC employees that treated you so poorly. Were these doctors yinzers who were afraid of the ATM?

If yinzers are such great conversationalists, then why did you have to "endure" them?

Oy, vey!
I'm busy at the office right now, but I just wanted to clarify something quickly right now. I wasn't a "bank teller". I was the one who opened accounts, initiated wire transfers, attempted to provide refunds for overdraft fees, etc. I also HAD to do teller work because our branch didn't have any traditional tellers, which meant the more people "afraid of ATMs" that came in to do simple transactions, the less time I had to do the work I was supposed to be doing to meet sales quotas and make cold-calls, which made me look "worse" to the company. It was our job to gently "force" people to use ATMs, iPads, iPhones, etc. to do these transactions, and the blowback we got was immense.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:20 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
Quote:
How will I know when it's ok to board, if I don't know where the card holders stop?
You don't deserve to ride the bus! :think : <-gee, I never noticed this guy is animated, guess I am just not progressive.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:23 AM

831 posts, read 878,342 times
I find it interesting that throughout 23 pages of replies, nobody has been able to answer how to implement the solution that the original poster has proposed.

Everyone has convinced me that since I pay with cash,that I need to board last.

Please tell me (along with all other cash paying customers that will be at the stop with me) how to know when it is our turn to board?

Old 08-18-2014, 11:31 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Quote:

I'm standing at a bus stop, along with 25 other folks.
Do we start a poll
before the bus comes to find out who's paying with cash and who isn't? (and ask
everyone as they wander over if they have cash or not?)
Otherwise, how will
we know the order that we're to get on the bus?
If the person in front of you is paying with a card, you have them pay twice, and then hand them your cash. Makes the whole discussion moot...

Old 08-18-2014, 01:13 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,412,949 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that throughout 23 pages of replies, nobody has been able to answer how to implement the solution that the original poster has proposed.

Everyone has convinced me that since I pay with cash,that I need to board last.

Please tell me (along with all other cash paying customers that will be at the stop with me) how to know when it is our turn to board?
I'll take a stab at it: Put a sticker or something on the outside of the bus near the doors. Or reminders printed in schedules, website, social media, and announcements over the PA system for the T?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh