Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:21 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,714 times

Advertisements

Is this an east coast thing or a millennial thing? At least four times this week I've seen someone on c-d posting a rant on how life would be just peachy if those Other People would just start conforming to the desired behavior that would make life easier for the c-d poster, it is almost always an under-40 person who spent significant time in nyc or dc, and often it's some rule I never even heard of. The cash-boards-last rule is one I have never seen in practice. Ranting on the internet is not going to alter the behavior of 200k people. If it did they would have straightened up the last time someone announced they were being inconvenienced by the rest of the city exercising free will.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:22 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,435 times
I actually have great sympathy with the OP as I think anyone paying cash should be fed to caged lions being towed behind every bus. But until my utopian and arguably rather harsh ideal is realized, that's the way it is, I guess, and we all need to plan accordingly.

The whole cash thing is exacerbated by &^**ing dollars bills - feeding crumpled paper into machines is like, 18th century. Why don't people in this city use dollar coins like everywhere else in the country .... bloody backwards Pittsburgh!!!

Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Jeeze! I wish people would adhere to this etiquette when paying to board the Bus... It has become quite the general rule when you're paying in Cash you wait until all the "Tap-n-Go" people have boarded the bus then you pay.

This morning on the P1, we were @ Negley super long while about 5 people paying Cash took years to feed the farebox Old Dollars that the machine didn't like and kept spitting back out. This while there was still a line of Tap-n-Go'ers with their ConnectCards still waiting to board behind them. This took so long other P1/2's caught up to us and it was a gang of 3 buses the rest of the away down the Busway. At least our Driver was smart enough to skip Herron and let one of the other 2 buses pick those people up.

This made me late for an important appointment in town. Sorry I was so I just had to B*itch.

I sure will be glad when PAT puts certain policies in place to force more people onto CCs and off Cash. More people have moved to Tap'n'Go CCs, but there's still too many people paying with Cash and slowing the system down. I know transfers will soon be only available with CCs, so that will be a start. I also feel like they also need to implement a full time, all modes Surcharge to paying in Physical Cash, like the T during the Rush Hour.

If this is the biggest issue of your life you really need to go throw rocks at the river until you calm down.

I don't think is there a law, guideline or requirement listed that those who have cash get on the bus last. You board the bus as you arrived and got in line just like any other place that one has to stand in line and wait their turn.

Not everyone is required to live their lives for your convenience and not everyone has access to anything but cash. Deal with it and remember you are an inconvenience to someone as well somewhere.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:26 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
You were stuck at a single bus station for 15 minutes due to people paying cash?
Yes, if you ever rode the East Busway at Rush Hour, you'd see the crowds of people waiting. Negley has very high crowds at the Rush Hour. 5 people paying in cash slows down the boarding considerably.

1) because the farebox (like vending machines) will keep spitting out Dollar Bills it doesn't like, Face needs to be up and all that CRAP!.

2) after someone finishes paying in Cash, the next person must wait for the light on the Orange Target, to turn green before Taping their CCs or even to feed it more cash. Sometime it can take 5-10 sec for the light to turn Green after paying cash. Tap'n'Go doesn't have this problem, after the ding (fare accepted) the light instantly goes back to green. In that instance its a very fast process.

Watch the Visa commercial, that's pretty much the Tap'n'Go vs. Cash paying culture on PAT to a T, no Pun.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:30 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I actually have great sympathy with the OP as I think anyone paying cash should be fed to caged lions being towed behind every bus. But until my utopian and arguably rather harsh ideal is realized, that's the way it is, I guess, and we all need to plan accordingly.

The whole cash thing is exacerbated by &^**ing dollars bills - feeding crumpled paper into machines is like, 18th century. Why don't people in this city use dollar coins like everywhere else in the country .... bloody backwards Pittsburgh!!!

Dollar coins??? In *this* country???

Old 08-12-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If this is the biggest issue of your life you really need to go throw rocks at the river until you calm down.

Not everyone is required to live their lives for your convenience and not everyone has access to anything but cash. Deal with it and remember you are an inconvenience to someone as well somewhere.
Wow I guess I'm that only who's inconvenienced when the bus actually operates LATE!.... Everyone likes to run late, and for things to remain antiquated and outdated.

I guess I should be like you guys, want to be on time, get a Car, that's is the Burgh answer to reliable transportation, right !

This is Pittsburgh after all. Us Yinzers hate change, pay Cash.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:39 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
I am for all public transportation being converted to card only to move things along quicker.

I am also for telling snooty New Yorkers to get the hell aht because they make ignorant sweeping generalizations about the locals because they were mildly inconvenienced for mere moments due to their lack of time management skills.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:47 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I am for all public transportation being converted to card only to move things along quicker.

I am also for telling snooty New Yorkers to get the hell aht because they make ignorant sweeping generalizations about the locals because they were mildly inconvenienced for mere moments due to their lack of time management skills.
Yes... and yes.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:47 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Wow I guess I'm that only who's inconvenienced when the bus actually operates LATE!.... Everyone likes to run late, and for things to remain antiquated and outdated.

I guess I should be like you guys, want to be on time, get a Car, that's is the Burgh answer to reliable transportation, right !

This is Pittsburgh after all. Us Yinzers hate change, pay Cash.

Actually I don't care if you get a vehicle or not but you should consider taking the bus a wee bit earlier if you are that concerned with being late because a few people choose to pay cash.

When I had to take public transportation I had to leave my home at 5:30 am to go 15 miles and be to work by 8:00 am. My commute took 1.5 hours and there were no buses I could take later because they did not run the route to my work place so I could there closer to the time I started work. So not only did I have to ride the bus for 1.5 hours and transfer from one to the other, I had to wait for an hour before I could even go to work. You are seriously crying a river of tears for nothing and to the wrong person.

PS ~~ I always used cash as well.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post

Who's a New Yorker ... I'm from Pittsburgh so I am a local .... And you know damn well, I'm dead on about the "Hate Change" Culture of native Pittsburghers... So give me a F*cking break Pal!!

And I love when people who doesn't use public transportation therefore aren't inconvenienced by it, tend to judge folk who merely point out how things should operate in a more effective manor because they do use the system. Therefore everyone should just accept the Antiquated, Old, Outdated payment methods. Yep sounds like Pittsburgh.

Now when you talk about needing to have Coins to feed parking meters.... Oh that's a BIG issue right there, why it totally turned some of you "car-aholics" off from driving into the City from burbs, just because of the hassle of it all. Now parking meters take Cards and its the best thing since sliced bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh