Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 03:33 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Perfect for you, then. I buy cases and except for a couple regulars, we're always trying new stuff. Wine, I usually order by the case.
My thing is that I go through phases with beer, too. One month it will only be different Belgians, then I'll move to IPAs, stouts, etc. Buying cases isn't conducive to that. I couldn't imagine having a whole case of Ommegang, New Glarus, or Paulaner. Those types of beer will usually come in a box of 8 (do they even make cases?). But the plethora of beer distributors that sell cases would certainly appeal to someone who prefers to buy in bulk.

Last edited by ForYourLungsOnly; 08-13-2014 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 04:04 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Speaking of craft beers, I hate the current trend of almost everything being an IPA. Down with the hops

Old 08-13-2014, 04:07 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Speaking of craft beers, I hate the current trend of almost everything being an IPA. Down with the hops
Definitely not a fan of the IPA.

Darker the better.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:03 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Every new brewery is going to do that as it's popular, but as far as a "trend" that's well past peak, IMO, as are higher ABVs. I'm not a fan of the trend of micros trying to have one or more labels with fruit/coffee/chocolate/tea/spices, etc.etc. added. Fine if you've already made a great line of traditional beers. Not so fine when you haven't mastered that craft yet.

I do like the trend toward session beers though. Something you can have more than one of and still operate heavy equipment!

Old 08-13-2014, 06:34 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Every new brewery is going to do that as it's popular, but as far as a "trend" that's well past peak, IMO, as are higher ABVs. I'm not a fan of the trend of micros trying to have one or more labels with fruit/coffee/chocolate/tea/spices, etc.etc. added. Fine if you've already made a great line of traditional beers. Not so fine when you haven't mastered that craft yet
IPA's are also an easier beer to make which makes sense for a new brewery (easier in that you can hide any imperfections in the brew easier with the hoppiness of the flavor).

Old 08-19-2014, 12:30 PM

556 posts, read 1,227,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The Chairman's Selections are often pretty good values for wine. But even the Superstores are limited in a number of regions that are making good wine which I can buy in CT/NY at reasonable prices - Argentina, South Africa, Georgia (the country), Bulgaria. For liquor, I can get my Sobieski or Luksosowa at a fair enough price in PA, as well as basic rum, tequila or lower-end gin good enough for a G&T. But for better gins, whiskey/Scotch, añejos, liqueurs... I buy those out of state for much less.

As far as Market District beer goes, I was hoping maybe their buying power would save a buck or two per six-pack over the sixer stores. Not the case. I was also hoping their buying power would enable them to get a supply of Pliny the Elder/Pliny the Younger out here. Apparently you can get those in Philly.

I'm that PITA customer who goes for the Mix-Six and spends 20 minutes identifying the six most expensive beers in the cooler so I don't pay a premium :-)

Odd thing that I could ship cases of wine home from Australia, but not from anywhere in the US.
No Pliny the younger outside of Russian rivers brewpub.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:43 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
No Pliny the younger outside of Russian rivers brewpub.
I don't know how or why Philly makes the cut on where PTY gets distributed, but they do.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:22 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The old 7/11 on Friendship sold beer under the loophole, long before Giant Eagle went for it, and that was more than 20 years ago.
But it closed.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:28 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
I have used GetGo for beer and also Giant Eagle. The prices are just a little cheaper in general than a 6 pack shop. It is more about convenience and not about a good price. We are still in the dark ages in PA with all that crap. This isn't a free market here in PA. It is a heavy handed government controlled state with no options. Our backwards government loves its monopoly and crushing us with massive taxes on alcohol AND a total control of distribution. The health benefits of alcohol are very important if you are wanting to have a long life and the state really shouldn't be controlling something that should be in a free market. The amount of tax is ridiculous. Anyway, Giant Eagle is being smart about having beer in their stores, so people can do a one stop. Prices aren't very good compared to progressive states, but at least you don't have to drive to another place to get smacked with the massively taxed beer.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:34 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyank View Post
speaking of craft beers, i hate the current trend of almost everything being an ipa. Down with the hops :d
hold your tongue sir

edit--hmm, that was more threatening looking when i was typing it on all caps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh