Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:03 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times

Advertisements

I think the discussion regarding public transit must focus on riders who use it to shop and/or to socialize as opposed to commuting to work (which in the burg is often Downtown or Oakland). The above study is based on the percentage of the population who use public transit to commute to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:11 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
As much as I like Pittsburgh, I wouldn't want to live here without a car. It seems as if people in the burgh who are carless are carless due to finances whereas people in Philly are often carless by choice.

If you don't have a car here you really need to live in the heart of Squirrel Hill or someplace in the middle of Shadyside/East Liberty/Bloomfield.
I am, and have been for 18 years, car-free by choice, not finances.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I think the discussion regarding public transit must focus on riders who use it to shop and/or to socialize as opposed to commuting to work (which in the burg is often Downtown or Oakland). The above study is based on the percentage of the population who use public transit to commute to work.
It "must"??? Okay, make it the same for car users. The discussion "must" only focus on drivers who use it to shop or socialize. Heck, bike riders too, why stop?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:22 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
It "must"??? Okay, make it the same for car users. The discussion "must" only focus on drivers who use it to shop or socialize. Heck, bike riders too, why stop?
In order for it to help the OP the discussion should really be about how many people in Pittsburgh use public transportation to get around socially. There are plenty of people who commute to work on public transportation and don't get on a bus for any other purpose.

You get a gold star for not having a car.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
In order for it to help the OP the discussion should really be about how many people in Pittsburgh use public transportation to get around socially. There are plenty of people who commute to work on public transportation and don't get on a bus for any other purpose.
The OP says
"2. How is the transit? I don't have a car and I currently use my bike or the bus/train to get around. The transit in Dallas is terrible. It can take me 3 hours to get places on the buses here."

I don't see anything mentioning specifically getting around socially.

Quote:
You get a gold star for not having a car.
Oh, aren't I lucky that you deign to bless me.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:18 AM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxm123130 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm currently living in the Dallas, TX area and will be graduating next May. I'm looking to move up north and I am trying to decide between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. I'm originally from Winston-Salem, NC and I love the outdoors and getting a good dose of all four seasons. I enjoy bicycling, hiking, kayaking, and rock climbing. My BS degree is going to be in chemistry and I'm planning to take a year off before I go get my PhD. I work for Starbucks and will be transferring up to that area and I'm going to look into bartending at night to save up some extra cash. So I have already posted in the Philly forum and received lots of good stuff about that city but I wanted to hear from the Pittsburgh people too.

Here are a list of questions that I have about the area that will help me in making my decision,

1. Is it difficult to find people that enjoy doing stuff outdoors? For example I love to hike, bike, jog, kayak, etc. I'm looking to move to a place where I could find other people who enjoy getting outdoors. In Dallas, people don't like to do things outside because of the heat and there just isn't that much to do.

Lush, green, and hilly NW Philly, along with parts of Fairmount and Pennypack Parks, are great for outdoor activities. However, these areas are a bit more off the beaten path than Schenley/Frick Parks in the 'Burgh. Both have wonderful options beyond the city limits. Overall, I'd give the edge to Pittsburgh, but not by a huge margin.

2. How is the transit? I don't have a car and I currently use my bike or the bus/train to get around. The transit in Dallas is terrible. It can take me 3 hours to get places on the buses here.

Philly is much better (4 subway/high speed rail lines, lots of heavy rail lines, and numerous trolley routes in addition to busses), but PGH could be worse (light rail and busses, including a dedicated bus line). Bottom line: PGH is less convenient, but you can make it work.

3. How is the weather in Pittsburgh? What is the summer like there? Are the winters really that bad?

Compared to Philly, PGH is 5 degrees cooler on an average day. There's twice as much snow (40" vs. 20"), but PGH tends to have multiple small to moderate snowshowers, while Philly is more likely to have big storms by virtue of the Nor'Easter effect (though PGH can get big storms as well). PGH is a lot cloudier late fall through early Spring, but Philly isn't exactly sunny all the time either. PGH winters would be a bigger shock coming from Dallas, but Philly weather would require an adjustment as well.

4. Is there a sense of community in Pittsburgh? I know its a big city but cities still have festivals and markets and live music that help bring people together.

Both cities have strong senses of community.

5. What are some good areas of the city for a college grad in his mid-twenties to live? Im looking to pay $700-$1000/month.

While rents in both cities have risen somewhat in recent years, PGH is still a good bit more affordable in Philly. You could certainly find an okay studio or small one-bedroom in Center City, U City, NoLibs, etc., but you'll be able to find bigger/better places in Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Lawrenceville, etc.

6. Are there any good breweries in Pittsburgh?

7. Are there any good bookstores? Not Barnes and Noble but a good used bookstore.

8. How is the coffee scene in Pittsburgh? I am a Starbucks barista but love the independent coffee shops.

I'm not as knowledgeable about 6-8, but I'd say that both cities are well-represented in this regard. Philly obviously has more by virtue of being bigger.
Good luck!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:44 AM

20 posts, read 39,321 times
Thanks everyone! The posts that I've read are very helpful so far. I have to say that after reading all of this and the stuff that I have received in Philly, I am leaning more towards Philly. No offense to Pittsburgh, I love both cities. Its just Philly seems to have more of what I am looking for in terms of transit, education, culture, and proximity to other things.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:07 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxm123130 View Post
Thanks everyone! The posts that I've read are very helpful so far. I have to say that after reading all of this and the stuff that I have received in Philly, I am leaning more towards Philly. No offense to Pittsburgh, I love both cities. Its just Philly seems to have more of what I am looking for in terms of transit, education, culture, and proximity to other things.
I just went over to the Philadelphia Thread, and read the Philly side of things. Always interesting.

Anyways, I quite like both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia quite a bit. You can't go wrong either way!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:49 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I just went over to the Philadelphia Thread, and read the Philly side of things. Always interesting.

Anyways, I quite like both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia quite a bit. You can't go wrong either way!
I don't see the thread in the Philadelphia forum. Does it have a different title?

Old 08-15-2014, 03:58 PM

461 posts, read 748,696 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...-portland.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
I don't see the thread in the Philadelphia forum. Does it have a different title?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh