Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
When I suggested that Hopes was a Google AI project, I was joking. As requested, I deleted the post, and I apologize to Hopes if it hurt her feelings.
I have no idea what you're talking about. I wouldn't have requested you delete it even if I had seen it. I can't imagine how it was more rude than this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
My point, which may have been made in bad taste, was that it is not beneficial to the community for a poster to research a topic on Google and then act like he or she is an authority with first-hand knowledge of a subject. Ultimately, it is up to the reader to consider the source; however, for newbies, this task might be harder.
I know Fox Chapel for goodness sake. I lived there the majority of my life, and I didn't move far because I can walk to the border of the school district from my house. I spend a significant amount of time there because many of my friends still live there, and I help them with before and after school care when they can't be home due to important appointments. Rob was misleading by saying "they bus everyone" because that implied nobody walked when I know for a fact first hand that's not true. If everyone restricted their posts to only posting about the specific township they currently live, including you Kippy, there wouldn't be many posts on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 03:31 PM

367 posts, read 458,037 times
Thank you everyone, for your help. Everything here has been useful to me.
I'll report back here after my visit!

Old 08-26-2014, 10:38 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
My husband has accepted a great new position in Pittsburgh,.
You should do OK here n'at, you spelled Pittsburgh properly.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:48 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
Mission hills was the neighborhood in mt lebo that is close to all the schools

Old 09-01-2014, 11:51 PM

367 posts, read 458,037 times
Well, I am back at my current home after visiting my future home!

First, I have to say I never really realized how beautiful of a city Pittsburgh is, even though some great threads got posted on this forum just before I left to go visit. While I miss Maine, I couldn't be any more excited about moving to this area.

After testing driving the possible commute route, neither of us were put off by the distance between either Mount Lebanon or Upper St. Clair from Pittsburgh. We also did look through Bethel Park a little bit, just in case. Traffic did not seem to be a problem, but on Labor Day weekend it wouldn't have been that bad. I must say that drivers in Western PA are far better then drivers in New England!

As for Mount Lebanon, we loved it, what a great community! As I have posted, my biggest concern was the lack of school bus transportation, so we drove around the areas near the schools to get a handle on what the walks would be like. The kids are still not thrilled by this possibility, but that's more because they have been spoiled with transportation. I have to say also that I can see why bus transportation is not as big of an issue here as I thought it would be, before I had visited. I could definitely see us settling in Mount Lebanon.

Upper St. Clair was also very nice, seemed to be a very peaceful place to live. We spent quite a bit of time at Wiltshire Park, in which the kids enjoyed. We had no problems striking conversations with people who were there, and I was able to make some friends who gave me a lot of helpful information about the area. I did not notice any real arrogance or snobbery from people that were there. Everyone was pleasant enough and some very helpful. Spent some time also at the community and recreation center, which was absolutely beautiful.

All in all, we liked both places. However, we have chosen Upper St. Clair as the primary spot we will be looking for our new home but will still consider any Mount Lebanon location with 1.5 miles of an elementary school. (we have set that as our walk limit for the kids).

Had a great time, went to a Pirates game while we there. I look forward to going to more and making them my 2nd favorite team. It will be much more difficult to accept that I am in Penguins territory, though. I've always kinda liked the Steelers.

Thank you everyone, now I will work on my accent.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:21 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:

First, I have to say I never really realized how beautiful of a city Pittsburgh is, even though some great threads got posted on this forum just before I left to go visit. While I miss Maine, I couldn't be any more excited about moving to this area.

After testing driving the possible commute route, neither of us were put off by the distance between either Mount Lebanon or Upper St. Clair from Pittsburgh. We also did look through Bethel Park a little bit, just in case. Traffic did not seem to be a problem, but on Labor Day weekend it wouldn't have been that bad. I must say that drivers in Western PA are far better then drivers in New England!

As for Mount Lebanon, we loved it, what a great community! As I have posted, my biggest concern was the lack of school bus transportation, so we drove around the areas near the schools to get a handle on what the walks would be like. The kids are still not thrilled by this possibility, but that's more because they have been spoiled with transportation. I have to say also that I can see why bus transportation is not as big of an issue here as I thought it would be, before I had visited. I could definitely see us settling in Mount Lebanon.

Upper St. Clair was also very nice, seemed to be a very peaceful place to live. We spent quite a bit of time at Wiltshire Park, in which the kids enjoyed. We had no problems striking conversations with people who were there, and I was able to make some friends who gave me a lot of helpful information about the area. I did not notice any real arrogance or snobbery from people that were there. Everyone was pleasant enough and some very helpful. Spent some time also at the community and recreation center, which was absolutely beautiful.

All in all, we liked both places. However, we have chosen Upper St. Clair as the primary spot we will be looking for our new home but will still consider any Mount Lebanon location with 1.5 miles of an elementary school. (we have set that as our walk limit for the kids).

Had a great time, went to a Pirates game while we there. I look forward to going to more and making them my 2nd favorite team. It will be much more difficult to accept that I am in Penguins territory, though. I've always kinda liked the Steelers.

FYI, BoSox come to visit PNC in 3 weeks and there's a new Dunkin Donuts being opened at the corner of Washington (Rte 19) and Connor (across from Galleria), so it seems Pittsburgh/South Hills are rolling out the red carpet just for you.

I should also tell you that Harry's Pizza in Peters Twp bought their recipe from Harry's in West Hartford, CT, so you'll also be within 15 minutes of New England thin crust pizza.

Meantime, I'd fill up on steamers and lobster rolls until you're sick of 'em, because you're not going to find much of that out here. Folks here have no idea about clambakes!

Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:

It would've been interesting for you to make that drive this morning. The trouble with that commute is not the distance, but that Route 19 gets congested very quickly, especially Cochran and Beverly Roads through Mt. Lebanon. The area around the Beverly Shoppes is one of the best commutes in Pittsburgh.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:42 AM

716 posts, read 765,711 times
Quote:

All in all, we liked both places. However, we have chosen Upper St. Clair as the primary spot we will be looking for our new home but will still consider any Mount Lebanon location with 1.5 miles of an elementary school.
There is no way that any elementary school is further than 1.5 miles from a home in Mt. Lebanon. There are 7 of them in 6 square miles.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Here's a map from Mt. Lebo's website with the location the elementary schools along with the districts for each elementary school. It also has the locations of the community parks.

http://mtlebanon.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/596

Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
There is no way that any elementary school is further than 1.5 miles from a home in Mt. Lebanon. There are 7 of them in 6 square miles.
I agree. I doubt you could find a house that is even close to 1.5 miles from an elementary school.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that the longest walking distance to the high school is 2.6 miles, and there is one HS as compared to 7 elementary schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh