Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 01:24 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander77 View Post
I work with some hipsters. They refuse to mature ... They wear backpacks with seat belt buckles and the same clothes everyday. It's not that I don't like students, but a city is suppose to have differing areas. I have no desire to rent after this year as I have rented for the last 5. I wasn't implying that riding the bus was hip, if you read my post you may see that . I moved from DC which has a robust public transportation system that I used often. I also biked to work frequently when the weather was good, 7 miles to be precise. I understand the misconception you may have, if you have never lived or visited other cities it's hard to understand another person's perspective of analysis.
I lived most of my life in DC, Outlander, and I can tell you Pgh. is never going to have the "robust public transportation system" you miss. And if you're seriously resentful towards hipsters, you ought to move back now to the Land of Superannuated Student Council Presidents instead of sticking it out, buying a house in a place where you're as unhappy as you sound. I say this with authority because I once lived in a city I didn't like (not DC), and nothing could change my attitude short of moving. When I did, I felt appreciably happier.

That's my analysis.

Last edited by jay5835; 08-31-2014 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 01:25 PM

778 posts, read 840,054 times
Oh, I see people with seat-belt-buckle backpacks. They probably work at a start-up and make four times my salary. I just can't in good conscience call those people "hipsters." They're young professionals that work at places that don't have dress codes.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:31 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
"I want to live someplace where there are hipster amenities but not hipsters."

Old 08-31-2014, 01:48 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
"I want to live someplace where there are hipster amenities but not hipsters."
Bingo!
Greenfield is in the East End, convenient, and largely without hipsters. Houses are pretty affordable and while they may need updating, they are often in great shape.
And who cares if people wear backpacks? maybe that's what is the most comfortable and useful for them.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:03 PM

40 posts, read 45,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I lived most of my life in DC, Outlander, and I can tell you Pgh. is never going to have the "robust public transportation system" you miss. And if you're seriously resentful towards hipsters, you ought to move back now to the Land of Superannuated Student Council Presidents instead of sticking it out, buying a house in a place where you're as unhappy as you sound. I say this with authority because I once lived in a city I didn't like (not DC), and nothing could change my attitude short of moving. When I did, I felt appreciably happier.

That's my analysis.
Perhaps you're right, maybe I just don't like the Pittsburgh culture. You all are missing my point about the hipster comments. It's generally a lack of professionalism,. I was use to a work environment where typical dress was a dress shirt and slacks. I'm now surrounded by people that typically refuse to wear polos. Jeans and tennis shoes are preferred apparently.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:06 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
Quote:
Perhaps you're right, maybe I just don't like the Pittsburgh culture. You all are missing my point about the hipster comments. It's generally a lack of professionalism,. I was use to a work environment where typical dress was a dress shirt and slacks. I'm now surrounded by people that typically refuse to wear polos. Jeans and tennis shoes are preferred apparently.
People who work in offices downtown tend to dress more formally.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:08 PM

778 posts, read 840,054 times
Quote:
I lived in DC out of college and moved back to Pittsburgh because I couldn't stand the DC culture of dressing up all the damn time . I lasted a year and a half there and just couldn't deal with the formality and status-seeking. I wore a dark plum purple dress to work once and no one could shut up about how colorful my clothes were (because they weren't black or navy blue).

If it honestly bothers you that much, you should definitely find some place that hasn't hitched its horses to the tech wagon, though, because dressing down is pretty much the start-up dress code.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:59 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Myself & all my co-workers (regardless of position) have to wear a suit every day so this is something that varies by employer.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:03 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
This thread is funny.

Before SCR finds this thread and re-posts his usual "hipster" cartoon, maybe he can find one that represents both sexes, marrieds with kids or not, all clutching fistfuls of highly-coveted disposable income.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:13 PM

461 posts, read 748,824 times
Hi Outlander, it sounds as if you are over the honeymoon of a major move and are beginning to see the faults of your new place. HCurtis gave you some really good advice on neighborhoods; in fact, I think that the Mexican War Streets almost perfectly suits what you are looking for (I live on the northside and an not familiar with East End, so can't comment on his other suggestions).

You are right, our public transit really does pale in comparison to East Coast cities; I loved being able to take the train when I lived in Philly and really miss that. Are our bike trails that bad? I don't bike, but from what I can see at bikepgh.org, there are pretty extensive trails.

If you like the laid back attitude for the most part, maybe you would consider sticking around for a while longer to explore. But if you are really set on leaving - go if you don't have any pressing reason to stay. Life is to short to live somewhere that you cannot see yourself being happy (been there in Raleigh NC - shudder).

Oh, almost forgot to mention: if you have not yet been here for football season, you should probably prepare yourself for seeing a bit too much black and gold (ugh, not my cuppa tea, either); but that might be a good change from the hipster wear.

e

Quote:
I recently moved from the DC area to Pittsburgh for work. After 6 months of renting and thinking about for housing I've come to a few conclusions...Pittsburgh caters to college aged children to the point where there aren't any good places to buy housing close to the city other than Squirrel Hill. The housing that is close to the proximity of the city is dilapidated and run down. These lack of options are truly surprising. This catering additionally extends to the public transit system. I heard recently "students ride for free." I was looking into the price range coming from the south hills into Pittsburgh. It costs more to ride public transit for a work week then it does to fill up my vehicle for the week. This city needs to understand that young professionals are discouraged from putting down roots in Pittsburgh because of the obsession of a type of hipster college environment. DC had its hipster spots, but had more to offer to those in different areas of life . Basically, those who don't want to rent with 7 others guys have to look into the suburbs for housing. The lack of bike trails is also a let down, only if you live in the immediate city can you find paths. I honestly like the laid back feel of Pittsburgh but I'm let down by the lack of options and general areas of arrested development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh