Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:34 PM

40 posts, read 45,570 times

Advertisements

I recently moved from the DC area to Pittsburgh for work. After 6 months of renting and thinking about for housing I've come to a few conclusions...Pittsburgh caters to college aged children to the point where there aren't any good places to buy housing close to the city other than Squirrel Hill. The housing that is close to the proximity of the city is dilapidated and run down. These lack of options are truly surprising. This catering additionally extends to the public transit system. I heard recently "students ride for free." I was looking into the price range coming from the south hills into Pittsburgh. It costs more to ride public transit for a work week then it does to fill up my vehicle for the week. This city needs to understand that young professionals are discouraged from putting down roots in Pittsburgh because of the obsession of a type of hipster college environment. DC had its hipster spots, but had more to offer to those in different areas of life . Basically, those who don't want to rent with 7 others guys have to look into the suburbs for housing. The lack of bike trails is also a let down, only if you live in the immediate city can you find paths. I honestly like the laid back feel of Pittsburgh but I'm let down by the lack of options and general areas of arrested development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 12:39 PM

778 posts, read 840,054 times
This may in fact be the first and only time I've ever heard anyone say that Pittsburgh has too many young hipsters

Students ride for free because the universities have a deal with the port authority. It's not only the students, either. Any faculty or staff member of those universities also rides for free. It's a great employment perk, you should take it up with your own employer.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:42 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
1. It's much more economical to buy then rent here, but if you are renting I'm sure in can find suitable housing outside of squirrel hill. Downtown, strip district, southside works spring to mind without any additional research that don't cater to college kids.
2. Students don't ride for free, they have transit costs built into their tuition
3. Buy a month transit pass & I'm sure it will be cheaper then gas for your vehicle.
4. I'm surrounded by young professionals so I don't see it being an issue

Old 08-31-2014, 12:44 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
This may in fact be the first and only time I've ever heard anyone say that Pittsburgh has too many young hipsters
Or imply that riding the bus is hip.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:44 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Point Breeze doesn't have a student feel, nor does Highland Park or the North Side. Education is a big business here in Pittsburgh and it isn't some huge city, so there will be student favoritism, but to be honest, with the MASSIVE fake economy going on due to huge student debt I have no problem with catering to students at all. They have it HORRIBLE in comparison to my generation. Maybe the North Side is your best bet. Better cycling options and not overrun with students. Check out Allegheny West for starters.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:52 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander77 View Post
IThe housing that is close to the proximity of the city is dilapidated and run down. These lack of options are truly surprising.
A couple years ago, yes, the price and location was right. I picked up one myself. Today, no. The only deals left are in crummy crime ridden neighborhoods. I understand this is an old stock city but this is a city with borderline East coast prices without the East Coast amenities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
There have been many posts, including my rants, about how Pittsburgh has changed over the last few years. The gentrification is all geared towards hipsters.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:55 PM

Also, define "dilapidated housing stock". Pittsburgh's housing stock is old. Some of it is old and gorgeous. Some of it is old and needs the energy and TLC that young professionals can put into it to become gorgeous. And some of it is truly dilapidated and should be nuked from orbit. But these are not all the same thing.

Highland Park and Morningside are not student hang-outs either (former has more impressive houses than latter). Bakery Square 2.0 is probably not going to have a whole lot of students, given that the rents are pitched towards the young professionals working at Google. I used to live in Point Breeze and our next door neighbors were the only students anywhere near the place (our house was a rental duplex on an alley, totally unlike the rest of the area). There are condos upon condos in North Oakland that are inhabited primarily by professors. My inlaws live in a condo building on Bellefield in Oakland and they are the youngest residents in the building (average age in that place is like 80). Shadyside, South Oakland and Squirrell Hill are the main student hang-outs, Lawrenceville and Garfield/Bloomfield are hipster areas. Stay away from those places and you won't get any of that icky student stink all over you, I promise.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
A couple years ago, yes, the price and location was right. I picked up one myself. Today, no. The only deals left are in crummy crime ridden neighborhoods. I understand this is an old stock city but this is a city with borderline East coast prices without the East Coast amenities.

There have been many posts, including my rants, about how Pittsburgh has changed over the last few years. The gentrification is all geared towards hipsters.
I think I must be defining hipsters quite differently than you. Hipsters =/= students =/= yuppies. All those people are young, yes, but the amount of disposable income varies greatly. Hipsters are first-wave gentrifiers but they're in Garfield now, having been priced out of Lawrenceville by yuppies. They're the artsy types looking for a good deal on rent for their studios and band practice spaces, they're not the ones paying half a mill for a Lville row. At least, not how I'm defining it.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:16 PM

40 posts, read 45,570 times
I work with some hipsters. They refuse to mature ... They wear backpacks with seat belt buckles and the same clothes everyday. It's not that I don't like students, but a city is suppose to have differing areas. I have no desire to rent after this year as I have rented for the last 5. I wasn't implying that riding the bus was hip, if you read my post you may see that . I moved from DC which has a robust public transportation system that I used often. I also biked to work frequently when the weather was good, 7 miles to be precise. I understand the misconception you may have, if you have never lived or visited other cities it's hard to understand another person's perspective of analysis.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:22 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander77 View Post
I work with some hipsters. They refuse to mature ... They wear backpacks with seat belt buckles and the same clothes everyday.
I have lived here ten years and worked on or near campus for nearly all of that time. I've never seen anybody wearing a backpack with a seat belt buckle and wouldn't know where to go to look for somebody wearing that.

I do wear basically the same clothes every day. Do khakis and a blue oxford shirt make me a hipster?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh