Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:11 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times

Advertisements

Our business passes on a 3% surcharge to anyone who pays with a debit or credit card to offset at least the majority of the fees we are assessed by Visa, Master Card, Discover, and American Express. Even with what some already decry as a "high" delivery fee I'd say >80% of our clientele pay with plastic and have no issue paying that surcharge for the convenience (it's actually called a "Convenience Fee" on the receipt we provide to the customer).

As for me I always make sure I have some cash on me, but many of my fellow 20-somethings, including my partner, don't even have a $1 bill on them at any given time. I think it's asinine how many Pittsburgh businesses are cash-only in 2014. Trackstar's wife is very intelligent, actually, in that she WILL accept a credit card or debit card as long as the customer agrees to pay the fee for their usage. Seems fair to me. I'd patronize her store in a heartbeat with no qualms about paying an extra $2 or whatever for not having cash on me. I'd probably walk out of her store without buying anything, though, if she didn't provide me with the option to pay more in order to avoid using cash. So would many others I know.

To all of you "cash is best" folks can I ask how you'll be reimbursed if you're mugged, and the thief makes off with $100+ in your hard-earned CASH? Credit cards and debit cards have fraud prevention measures built in, you can report them stolen, you can dispute fraudulent charges, etc. in order to reclaim any lost funds. Cash? Sorry, pal. You're out of luck.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 PM

698 posts, read 793,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcraider View Post
Excuse the typical starting line .. but ... is it me, or do an inordinate amount of small businesses in Pittsburgh offer "cash only" policies. I can speak mostly to Oakland so far, but it seems there are a lot of places that don't take credit cards. Some places do offer "Square" at least. The usual argument is they are saving money with credit card fees but most biz appreciate they would actually grow sales offering other forms of payment. Someone even told me its better for "their books" as in "tax evasion". Convince me its just my narrow view of what I have seen so far or is it a "Pittsburgh" thing?
Cash is king. Always has been always will be. Nothing suspicous, its just the risk is too great imho. Chargebacks, ID theft, no problems, too often the internet is slow so will hold up the line of folks paying.., or God Forbid, it's out all together. That's happened a few times here then you take their name & phone and hope they come back to pay later. You risk very little in carrying a little cash for the day with you versus a credit card. If you are robbed, no id theft to concern yourself over either. The cash businesses here do well because they offer tasty food. No reason to suspect there's some underlying unscrupulous reasons when the benefits so far outweigh the risks

Old 09-03-2014, 07:18 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal1 View Post
Cash is king. Always has been always will be. Nothing suspicous, its just the risk is too great imho. Chargebacks, ID theft, no problems, too often the internet is slow so will hold up the line of folks paying.., or God Forbid, it's out all together. That's happened a few times here then you take their name & phone and hope they come back to pay later.
No reason to suspect the worst such as fraud.
People do pass counterfeit CASH all the time too, though. I received it semi-frequently when I worked for PNC.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:21 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,828,709 times
We were having lunch in Mount St. Clair last month, and their credit card reader/processor broke. Before we had the chance to dig in our pockets for cash, the manager came out with "You won't mind waiting until this is cleared up, will you." Not a question. A statement. We didn't have to challenge her, as we had the cash. But what an attitude for her to take.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:22 PM

698 posts, read 793,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
People do pass counterfeit CASH all the time too, though. I received it semi-frequently when I worked for PNC.
It's much much rarer than ID Theft and when it happens, it doesn't ruin lives. Carry enough cash for one day and that's the most you loose.

We've had just a few instances of Counterfeit bills here from what I know. Even when weighing those losses, a CC is just much more costly and risky to use for both parties.

This is a great movie, true story of a woman who used her credit card and endured a lifetime of ruin thru ID Theft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQiINjlAadE

The Michelle Brown Story

Old 09-03-2014, 07:24 PM

567 posts, read 1,156,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcraider View Post
Excuse the typical starting line .. but ... is it me, or do an inordinate amount of small businesses in Pittsburgh offer "cash only" policies. I can speak mostly to Oakland so far, but it seems there are a lot of places that don't take credit cards. Some places do offer "Square" at least. The usual argument is they are saving money with credit card fees but most biz appreciate they would actually grow sales offering other forms of payment. Someone even told me its better for "their books" as in "tax evasion". Convince me its just my narrow view of what I have seen so far or is it a "Pittsburgh" thing?
I've seen cash-only policies way more than I expected to see in the Bay Area and in NYC, so it's not just Pittsburgh (where I didn't really notice it as much myself somehow)

Old 09-03-2014, 07:29 PM

802 posts, read 1,315,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Either Jacks Bar or Kopy’s just recently started taking cards, but it was always cash. Both had an onsite ATM, and everyone knew it was cash only, so you took cash. Daddypops diner in Hatboro, outside Philly is cash only, and there is a line out the door, they have an onsite ATM, or people took cash.

If a business is worth patronizing, people will pay no matter what.
I don't mind going into establishments the only take cash. I do use my debit card for most purchases. However "cash only" will not keep me away from patronizing a business that I really like.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:40 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,074,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
I've seen cash-only policies way more than I expected to see in the Bay Area and in NYC, so it's not just Pittsburgh (where I didn't really notice it as much myself somehow)
Maybe it is a hipster thing

Old 09-03-2014, 07:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
To all of you "cash is best" folks can I ask how you'll be reimbursed if you're mugged, and the thief makes off with $100+ in your hard-earned CASH? Credit cards and debit cards have fraud prevention measures built in, you can report them stolen, you can dispute fraudulent charges, etc. in order to reclaim any lost funds. Cash? Sorry, pal. You're out of luck.
Cash is your best friend for services like arborists, car mechanics, roofers, etc..

Old 09-03-2014, 08:00 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,144,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Cash is your best friend for services like arborists, car mechanics, roofers, etc..
My dad is a car mechanic and I can attest. He loves cash jobs on the side as it allows him to stash some money away for a nice gift for himself or my mother without her having to analyze the purchase to a penny on the cc statements. He earns the cash but she manages it, so he likes the occasional opportunity to manage it himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh