Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 03:58 PM

35 posts, read 159,144 times

Advertisements

I read the original post and can say the title should be more like the 10% - 20% truth about Pittsburgh. What was the point of this whole thing? I like the one about people dying because they don't like the Steelers. Yes, that happens every day?!?!

Old 01-03-2008, 04:18 PM
BVH

944 posts, read 601,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I think there is a difference between what you are describing and not having the exposure and being able to internalize that you can escape your present situation.

Unfortunately, I have not "made it" (far from it...sort of on the brink of unemployment, I'm not a homeowner, no bachelor's degree, HUGE amount of student loan debt, etc.). However I do serve on the National Board of a Multicultural Sorority and one of my pet projects in the summer is an anti-racism initiatives (like cultural projects and educational presentations) for our members (so collegiate women). Also, I've donated 4 musical instruments to minority students (3 clarinets and 1 flute) at my hometown high school (which has severe money problems). For two years, I gave flute lessons to inner city kids in Miami. That's it unfortunately (other than general charity) that I've done. One day, I hope to be in a position to do more.
Sounds like you have done more already than most will ever do. Just imagine the possibilities if everybody did half of what you have done! Just taking the time to sit down, listen and really care can make all the difference in the world. I do a lot of work with addicts and alcoholics striving to recover from both the mental and the physical horrors of chemical dependence. Sometimes, just being there without a judgmental attitude or chip on your shoulder against them is all they need. (I know this example is a bit different than helping children, but, you probably get my point.)

You hit upon where the true problem in America lies:Poverty, not racism. The wealthy just prefer it when us peasants (regardless of color) mind our own business and quietly do their bidding or Better still....when we wrongfully place the blame where it does not belong.

Unless and until we can regain control of our government from the interests of Big Business, the increasing problems of poverty, unemployment and poor/misleading education will continue. So, to use an analogy of another poster on these forums, the whole racial tension argument is merely a "straw man" to deflect our attentions away from where they should be focused.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:50 PM

30 posts, read 94,877 times
Just so you know I am not a troll. I don’t have the free time or the energy to troll this forum. Also, for those of you who love Pittsburgh , great for you! But some of us do not, it’s not like everyone is going to love what you do. I didn’t come here to stir up trouble and yea my post didn’t say much to the contrary . I’m sorry for those whose feelings I hurt but I meant ever word. Furthermore, nothing would thrill me more greatly then to leave and I ( and thousands with me) intend to. :-) I’m not here to sugar coat the issues here ( or to compare them with whatever city.) If you do not like what I have to say. Don’t read it. You can disagree but don’t call my personal experience a lie, when you haven’t lived it. Thanks.

p.s. to all of those who can see past my bad grammar ( and in this post it was horrible I will admit) and, who are trying to pay your student loans I understand. yes, I am angry with this city but I am NOT the only one!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chautauquast View Post
At least callmetricia made me laugh. Once I got past the grammer/punctuation thing.
The racism comments are true, though. Racism is better or worse in different areas of the City, but it's still here.
Another telltale sign of racism is a comment often made to me "You live on the North Side? I've always heard it was a "bad" part of town!" They mean "bad" as a synonym for black. I get tired of it.

thanks, that was my purpose. A bit of crude ( even down right rude humor) and some sarcasm. I don't know ? Blame it on my Eastern European roots, we aren't known for being nice :-) . Really I wasn't expecting this much turn out. Sure I said somethings bad and yea my grammer was horrible but hey I speak freaky deaky Dutch for crissake!

P.S.The bad= black is true here! I know alot of other places that do it but here it's like a code some people live by.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
How much responsibiliity are we expected to take? We have created so many social programs I have lost track. Due to affirmative action, blacks are guaranteed jobs, education, welfare before their fellow white citizens.

Instead of reaching out and taking the help that is offered, many would rather just complain about how unfair the world is, and how bad of a hand they have been dealt. I assure you, I am no Donald Trump sitting on top of my piles of money, and I am TIRED of supporting these programs from my tax dollars.

I think it is way past time for the blacks to take RESPONSIBILITY for their actions and lack thereof. It is NOT the white community's fault that they are dealing drugs and destroying their neighborhoods; It is NOT the white community's fault that some people refuse to speak proper english or pull their pants up above their butt cheeks and walk around trying to intimidate people like the low-level thugs that they are. It is THEIR choice.

My whole point here is that if you WANT to be accepted in society, you must be ACCEPTABLE to society. I am sure that it must be an absolute embarrasment to the decent black folks in this country. One only has to listen to folks like Bill Cosby to see the disappointment and anger radiating from within the black community itself, yet, nothing changes.

An interesting historical note to this fashion statement of low-hung pants: The whole trend of wearing pants pulled down below the butt so that the boxers/underwear are showing was popularized in California prisons by "queens" announcing that they were "available" to provide "services"! Yea, that's what I want to advertise!

Okay,
Number 1, what makes you think I am black? Because I am concerned with African-Americans? hmm, way to shine a light on yourself.

Number 2, that doesn't gurantee a job here. I have seen as educated, smart and preppy Black kids have been passed over for jobs at places like American Eagle, Denny's and Hollister just because they are Black. Just because you "have" to hire someone of a different race DOESN'T mean they will. Also, not all Blacks are on Walfare! Go to Wal-Mart at 3 am and you will see a ton of Whites buying things with thier walfare checks. I tell you, and this is fact the largest number of people on walfare are, people who are disabled and senior citizens! Look it up.

Number 3. Drug dealers are not just Black. There are huge numbers of white drug dealers, young white men who wear the SAME CLOTHES and talk the same way. That's your problem and white people like you ( not like the rest of us, like you!) Who believe that the way a person speaks or dresses shows who they are. That is exactly your problems.

Please keep talking, your proving it all to be true.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klein3351f View Post
1. If your moving to Pittsburgh because of nightlife and diversity. YOU AREN’T GOING TO FIND IT HERE....
>>>Ok, And I'm thinking that no one WOULD be moving there for nightlife and diversity. You might move to New York or San Francisco for that reason, but Pittsburgh, duh!
Your thinking wrong. What do you think young college students are going to use for an outlet? Let me guess a nice game of monopoly? NO! Come on! A nightlife is what makes a city a city. Even small towns in Ohio have a better nightlife then here. Also, you have the nerve to get on me for comparing Pittsburgh to big cities but you just did! Compare Pittsburgh to Allentown ( more diverse), Ohio( more diverse even in a small place like Marietta), West Virgina ( sometimes, I will admit only sometimes) and then there is Virgina, D.C. and Maryland. Let's NOT go there. Young people keep cities alive and nightlife keeps young people.
And there is great chance your car will be towed ( any time of the day and you are subject to a ticket while your still in your car.)
>>>Only if you are parking illegally, which I imagine someone as dumb and entitled as you feel you are does often, thus explaining this portion of your mindless rant.
Wow, that hurt. I don't feel entitled to anything more then what I would expect. I actually have never had my car towed . I can afford to park in a garage and I do on a regular basis. I am talking for those who cannot afford it.
2. It is really racist here.
>>>By here, I'm assuming you refer to the United States of America, because as we know, race is a major issue throughout this country. Pittsburgh is a microcosm of this issue. Yes there are well defined ethnic neighborhoods throughout, but name me a city that does not have this issue (a city that has two different racial groups coexisting, that is)
Of course it is! That's an issue but the biggest issue is that people REFUSE to fix it.They simply cover it up by saying it's everywhere and then go back to thier lives. Pathetic! Also, you might want to try getting out more and take a good look at where you see races intermixing. Go ahead honey and take a peek!
3. The whiter the area doesn’t mean the safer, it really just means the whiter.
>>>Once again, a point that refers to perhaps the world now, not just the United States and certainly not only Pittsburgh.
You don't say! That was a fact you ass.
4. We have a young and energetic Mayor. Luke is fantastic to be honest. I’ve met him and he is amazing and very insightful. The bad thing is, the people here DO NOT like change. They are living in the steelmill era until there is no more. They are nuts.
>>>You act as though meeting the mayor is like meeting the Pope. Nobody cares who you have or have not met. People in Pittsburgh probably don't like change. If you do, then don't let the big steel door hit you on the way out! We WERE living in the steelmill era when there was one. This criticism of the 'burgh is about 20 years too late, so find something else.
Actually, if I met the Pope I wouldn't care. I'm not Catholic! Change is going to happen only growth is optional! Tell that to your idiots trying to hold that steel door.
5. Business cost are low BUT you hardly anyone will know you’re here. Your revenue WON’T exceed your start-up cost , so your not pulling in that much. Young Business people from Pittsburgh have gone to NYC and other major cities and have attempted to bring the spirt down here but they forgot, we’d have to kick the negative spirt out of here. Pittsburgh is not a small city but don’t try telling native Pittsburghers that. You minus well spit on a terrible towel.
>>>I can't respond to this because I truly don't know what language it is written in. The words look familiar, but the grammar is atrocious. Oh, and you're speaking to like .02% of the world when you talk about people moving to the 'burgh to start a business that would be anything but local.
Hmm, That's because I am talking to people with non-local businesses. Think big, unless that is going to hurt you darling.
6. While I am on the subject. PEOPLE LOVE THE STEELERS. Hell I love them!
>>> So the problem here is...?
Are you stupid? Or can't you tale a complement? Cause that is what that was.
7. We have some of the most amazing restaurants, flea markets and outside shopping districts in the nation.
>>>Yet there's a problem with this too?
No actually, that is a complement! Learn to take one.
The best place to get groceries is the Strip District but like Pittsburgh there is no where to park EVER. and the public transportation here is bogus. Sorry but it’s true. Next to them is Whole Foods ( located in Shadyside/East Liberty which is up and coming) then it’s Giant Eagle which offers you money back on fuel perks! Yay!
>>>Name a city that evolved from colonial days that isn't a nightmare for parking! Particularly one which is geographically bound by rivers! Where is the parking supposed to come from? And why is that thousands of native Pittsburghs find places to park and come to shop at the Strip every week, but you can help but get towed? Also, the public transportation system is wonderful. Is it New York? No, but then New York's public transportation system isn't the greatest either. I've lived in both places.
I wasn't towed. Maybe those people would be so kind as to give directions instead of making these replies. Public Transportation sucks no matter where you are but having it is great. Grow up.
Restaurants vary. Most are found in Shadyside, Squirrel hill ( Predominately Jewish neighborhood and, you've got to try the Kosher bakery), Downtown,Mount Washington ( amazing and highly expensive restaurants along the mountain.) The Strip District and The Southside. Oh and Oakland is good for cheap eats. The kicker you say? They are all located by each other. This litte hub is what keeps Pittsburgh alive I promise you. These are the most diverse, intellectual and artistic of all Pittsburgh.
>>>You apparently have led a very sheltered existence in Pittsburgh, which explains your narrow view. Have you ever ventured into a suburb? There is exponentially more to do that simply what is located within the city limits.

My finacee owns a house in Hampton, a home in Cranberry and a condo on the Southside. Sorry I guess I haven't left my porch. Of course I've been other places.
8.Pittsburgh Public Schools are often times crap.
>>>Hmmm, city schools not as good as Private Schools. Call the Post Gazette now, someone needs to be notified of this!!
HAHAHA that's funny
9. There are tons of old buildings here and historical monuments. They are fantastic and remain very lovely. A lot of the Churches are still running today. Pittsburgh is a mostly Catholic city. In the cities with the oldest churches tend to be more lovely and clean ( but like I said it’s all in the "hub".)
>>>I don't know what 'it's all in the hub' means. As for the rest, I concur, except that Pittsburgh is only barely more Catholic than any other religion. Only as Catholic as the nation is.
There is a high number of Catholics here. I could care less I am not Catholic.
10. UPMC owns everything. PNC, UPMC and PITT will become very famaliar to you. They own everything practically . From some of the best healthcare to 90% of the hospitals and PNC owns 75% of Downtown Pittsburgh if not more. They are a giant and they will make you sick.
>>>Totally agree with this one. And when you get sick, you'll have no other choice but to go to a UMPC owned hospital.
Yea, unless you go to Mercy or West Penn. West Penn being the first choice.
So here’s what to remember the most
1. It’s a largely racist town that is fueled off stereotypes.
>>>It is not a racist town anymore than all other towns in the country. And though it plays a part in civil life, it by no means fuels the city!?
I said it was racist and fueled by stereotypes. I never said it was fueled by racism. Those are different. People here are like that, really sorry but they are. My finacee is Italian and everyone thinks he is in the mafia.
2. Most of the people here are in fact old. No matter what any young pioneer tries to tell you.
>>>True, so what. It has a great, low cost of living. It is in fact one of the best places to which to retire. I see this as a positive, not a negative. Someone has Ageism!
Not everyone is getting into retiring age my man. Look around you, people younger then you are being born!
3. The "Hub" is where you want to live , if you want to live in the city and if not stay the hell away from the outskirts . Also, stay away from Oakland unless you’re a student ( and if you’re a student) stay away from South Oakland.
>>>Chances are if you want to live in a city, you won't want to live in Pittsburgh. Move to New York. This is a town made of suburbs with a centralized working city (hence the reason everything shuts down at 6pm) That doesn't mean there is nothing to do, it just means you need a car.
it also means you need someone to tell you where everything is. This place has HORRIBLE Advertising! People don't know where anything is unless it's told to them.
4. Pittsburgh has AMAZING universities, for low tuition that are highly accredited. Namely, PITT, CMU and Point Park University. They are amazing and world famous. Pitt for the Medical geeks, PPU for the art freaks and CMU for those in between , that’s meant with love. Had it not of been for these institutions this place would be barren!
>>>Please leave Pittsburgh as soon as you can. You are not wanted here!!!
I actually am wanted. Not by you but honestly who cares? I've probably passed you a thousand times on the street or in temple. Stop being so dramatic!
5. The subway doesn’t run around the entire area just select parts of the city and no it’s not easy to read.
>>>There is no subway in Pittsburgh. There is something called the "T" and it is the beginning of a subway that will probably NEVER be finished. Use the buses instead. They'll get you just about everywhere you need to go.
Tomato, tomato let's call the whole thing BUSTED.
6. The people who have only great things to say about Pittsburgh have :
A. Never lived somewhere else or been somewhere else.
>>>Not true, I grew up in the 'burgh and now I live in New York City, perhaps the greatest major metropolitan area in the world. Guess what, after living in NY for over two years now, I love Pittsburgh more than I did when I left. They are DIFFERENT! Apples and Oranges, but both wonderful.
Nice, so can I guess which one is the apple?
C. They fit into every stereotype about Pittsburgh people.
So yea take everything they say with a grain of salt. Or better yet DON’T TAKE IT AT ALL.
>>>I'm not sure that I know of or agree with every stereotype that you believe about Pittsburghers, but I am a very educated, highly intelligent human being, who has never used the word "Yinz" in any other way than as a joke, in my life. I also went to the best of those three schools you mentioned earlier and do not have a Pittsburgh accent, though I live there for over 30 years before moving away. Take what I say as truth and do not believe this idiot, who has no right living in the 'burgh anyway.
HAHAHA, way to go mister education. I am idiot? Sure thing. I'll take that title. Doesn't bother me. ;-) I am not the only one who has said it. How about this. I'll take your apartment and you can move here.
7. Everyone has equal chance of stabbing you for your wallet and heroin addicts in the "good areas" will do it faster.
>>>Umm, ok, this has WHAT to do with Pittsburgh?
you've never been on the EBA at night I see

8. Anyone who only has something negative to say, just needs to move or might be having a bad day. There are good things to but it comes with a price.
>>>Might I refer you to YOURSELF!
You could but that would be a little bit odd.
Low cost - Low wages
There is a low-employment rate because your competing with people 12 score your senior who refuse to quit or someone relative who they won’t fire.
>>>Low cost of living, lower wages, makes complete and total sense to me. As for not being able to get a job, that might just be you. I never had a problem, dear.
I don't have one either. What makes you think I do? Because I speak out on it? Hmm. Someone had to. We can't all be selfish white men. Some of us have to care about other people! GO FIGURE THAT ONE!
8. There ARE amazing people here, who are innovate and talented but they rarely ( if ever) get recognized.
>>>Would you like to start some type of awards ceremony? Go right ahead. If you are including yourself in the 'innovative and talented' pool, I would reconsider.
You bet your talented smart education ass I would. I'm guessing you'd boycott my party? Oh well. So much for the cheese plate!

9.There are TONS of attractions like Phipps Conservatory and the Museums ( plus the old buildings). The good and bad are mixed , as in one corner good street the nest =bad.)
>>>This means nothing- the nest =bad???
NO THAT'S GOOD. I am starting to question that education buddy.
10. Pittsburgh has serious issues with child molestation, housing foreclosure and serious racism
>>>I've already addressed the racism. Housing foreclosures have been sweeping the nation. But you'd know that if you read the paper or turned on the news. As for the child molestation, I don't know what you could possibly be talking about. Was this another personal preference coming out in your post?
Ouch. below the belt hit. Maybe you should ask some of the molested and raped kids how they feel about your "it happens everywhere" crap.

You should be careful what you say about whom. I only attacked the city, never you.

p.s. if you love it that much MOVE BACK! take your own advice.

thanks for the reply, I hope you like mine buddy,.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:08 AM

107 posts, read 349,242 times
wow just wow

Old 01-04-2008, 06:47 AM

107 posts, read 349,242 times
Callmetrica, I understand some of you frustrations. One thing is, You are describing frustrations that you might have with society as a whole, not just in Pittsburgh. This rasicm, child molestation, pointing out stereotypes, is everywhere. It really is. I am not lying to you. You say you been out to other places. That is good. However, did you live in other places? Talk to the locals at those places? It is different then just visiting the downtown area of a other city, seeing the main tourist areas, and not noticing that there are uptown problems worse or just the same as in Pittsburgh. I knew racist people in Florida, N.Y., My exgirlfriends dad in Philly (a huge racist that He made me sick), Denver (yes, even in liberal denver there are rasist to be found), and other towns.

I also understand Pittsburgh may not be for you. Fine. I am not going to say, "get out of here, we don't need you.". I will say, It seems like you need a more diverse city like N.Y. or L.A. That isn't for all of us. Maybe when you are older, have a kid, and are looking for a nice city neighborhood to raise them, you will see Pittsburgh looks really nice. However, coming on to the Pittsburgh board and putting us down, (yes, "us" as "Pittsburgh citizens", the "people who make up Pittsburgh") isnt a nice thing to do. We know we have problems in this great city like keeping young people, declining population, etc. I personally don't think the night life is a problem for Pittsburgh, the reason it doesn't suit you is you probably need something more big like N.Y. However, coming in saying you "hate Pittsburgh, and you know others that do to." isn't going to get good responses from us here that like it.

You said, that we don't have to make everybody like what we like. You realize that means, we also don't have to hate what you hate. Ranting about your hate for Pittsburgh isn't going to help anything. Bringing up solutions to the problems you see might help.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnedYinzer View Post
Callmetrica, I understand some of you frustrations. One thing is, You are describing frustrations that you might have with society as a whole, not just in Pittsburgh. This rasicm, child molestation, pointing out stereotypes, is everywhere. It really is. I am not lying to you. You say you been out to other places. That is good. However, did you live in other places? Talk to the locals at those places? It is different then just visiting the downtown area of a other city, seeing the main tourist areas, and not noticing that there are uptown problems worse or just the same as in Pittsburgh. I knew racist people in Florida, N.Y., My exgirlfriends dad in Philly (a huge racist that He made me sick), Denver (yes, even in liberal denver there are rasist to be found), and other towns.

I also understand Pittsburgh may not be for you. Fine. I am not going to say, "get out of here, we don't need you.". I will say, It seems like you need a more diverse city like N.Y. or L.A. That isn't for all of us. Maybe when you are older, have a kid, and are looking for a nice city neighborhood to raise them, you will see Pittsburgh looks really nice. However, coming on to the Pittsburgh board and putting us down, (yes, "us" as "Pittsburgh citizens", the "people who make up Pittsburgh") isnt a nice thing to do. We know we have problems in this great city like keeping young people, declining population, etc. I personally don't think the night life is a problem for Pittsburgh, the reason it doesn't suit you is you probably need something more big like N.Y. However, coming in saying you "hate Pittsburgh, and you know others that do to." isn't going to get good responses from us here that like it.

You said, that we don't have to make everybody like what we like. You realize that means, we also don't have to hate what you hate. Ranting about your hate for Pittsburgh isn't going to help anything. Bringing up solutions to the problems you see might help.
Thanks! I totally get what you are saying. OKay, my first response wasn't the correct one but yea I do understand what you mean. I didn't mean to hurt anyone ,but I can understand how someone can be angered and hurt by that. I thank you for your reply and, if I hurt you or offended you by my comment, I apologize greatly. It wasn't my intention. I wish to offer

Old 01-04-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetricia View Post
Thanks! I totally get what you are saying. OKay, my first response wasn't the correct one but yea I do understand what you mean. I didn't mean to hurt anyone ,but I can understand how someone can be angered and hurt by that. I thank you for your reply and, if I hurt you or offended you by my comment, I apologize greatly. It wasn't my intention. I wish to offer

*ahem* sorry about that.

i wish to offer a truce lol. I do have issues with society as a whole ,but we must attack things on a small level first. You know? I'm not saying it's everyone in Pittsburgh because it is not everyone.

Also, I don't mind people who tell me to leave and, we don't want you here and junk. It doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does some people , but when I see ( and I have seen) people tell that to African-Americans, Asian-Americans and Hispanic-Americans, then I get really pissed. Hardly anyone wants to stand up for these people. I have seen that here, alot of people would rather sit back, let it slide or change the subject. Why? I simply do not get it! I may seem like a ranter and a raver, but I cannot help it. My great uncle, was one of the first white members of the NAACP. It's in my DNA. Believe it or not I am trying to fix issues here, but most people here do not want change. They won't give it so much as a chance. I believe it's fear.

Thanks again for your reply .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh