Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 10:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
In comparison to Aspinwall or Regent Square Blawnox appears much more blue collar.
Your distain for blue collar always manages to shine through in your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
I agree, that was my point in mentioning Regent Square -- Regent Square is fine, but it gets more credit than it objectively deserves because it's more affluent. It's like the no-true-Scotsman fallacy applied to walkability -- "no true walkable district can be blue collar". In fact, they can .
Exactly. A walkable blue collar neighborhood would be desirable since the OP is looking for inexpensive housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 02:59 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,456,897 times
depends what you mean by walkable. if you mean 'can walk everywhere you ever need to go' a lot of places are out.

if you mean, can walk to eat or do a little shopping here and there..there are walkable neighborhoods, with inexpensive old/charming housing in very good school districts in many of the evil suburbs. Irwin in Norwin, or Trafford in PT to name a couple. And while its not a great school district(its small and old population, but not dangerous like some) I'm a huge fan of Jeannette.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:53 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
depends what you mean by walkable. if you mean 'can walk everywhere you ever need to go' a lot of places are out.

if you mean, can walk to eat or do a little shopping here and there..there are walkable neighborhoods, with inexpensive old/charming housing in very good school districts in many of the evil suburbs. Irwin in Norwin, or Trafford in PT to name a couple. And while its not a great school district(its small and old population, but not dangerous like some) I'm a huge fan of Jeannette.
You might be the only person in the region to declare Jeannette "not dangerous". Do you also think Aliquippa and Monesson are great places?

Old 09-13-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
You might be the only person in the region to declare Jeannette "not dangerous". Do you also think Aliquippa and Monesson are great places?
i seriously doubt I'm the only one.

In fact i'd guess its just you that lump every outlying city with..er..good football teams.. into one category.

Feel free to compare Jeanette's crime rates with those 2, and a few other dangerous areas i picked out at random.

Violent crime/100k
Monessen 839
Aliquippa 433
Shadyside 321
Oakmont 269
Sewickley 228
Ligonier 127
Jeannette 93
Aspinwall 71

Property crime/100k
Monessen 3460
Aliquipa 1986
Oakmont 1597
Aspinwall 1423
Sewickley 1390
Shadyside 1304
Ligonier 1141
Jeannette 702

Old 09-14-2014, 08:01 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Even before looking at the statistics, my impression of Jeanette was that it was not particularly dangerous.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:

In fact i'd guess its just you that lump every outlying city with..er..good football teams.. into one category.

Feel free to compare Jeanette's crime rates with those 2, and a few other dangerous areas i picked out at random.

Violent crime/100k
Monessen 839
Aliquippa 433
Shadyside 321
Oakmont 269
Sewickley 228
Ligonier 127
Jeannette 93
Aspinwall 71

Property crime/100k
Monessen 3460
Aliquipa 1986
Oakmont 1597
Aspinwall 1423
Sewickley 1390
Shadyside 1304
Ligonier 1141
Jeannette 702
Yes, I'm sure Jeannette has completely turned around. That is why a 1500 sf house in Shadyside or Sewickley will run you close to a half a million dollars, but houses in Jeannette will run you about 1/10 the price.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure Jeannette has completely turned around. That is why a 1500 sf house in Shadyside or Sewickley will run you close to a half a million dollars, but houses in Jeannette will run you about 1/10 the price.
I don't understand how this is even relevant. Or even reasonable. There are so many other differences between those places and Jeanette besides safety.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I don't understand how this is even relevant. Or even reasonable. There are so many other differences between those places and Jeanette besides safety.
Because it has a lot to do with the low property values in Jeanette. The area that Jeanette is surrounded by isn't that bad. Not high end, but solidly middle class. Jeannette is this basically a hole in the middle of this otherwise viable region.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Because it has a lot to do with the low property values in Jeanette. The area that Jeanette is surrounded by isn't that bad. Not high end, but solidly middle class. Jeannette is this basically a hole in the middle of this otherwise viable region.
That's a funny way of making that point. Neither Shadyside or Sewickley is in that region. If you look at the median sales price of Jeannette and compare it with something actually nearby, say Greensburg or Irwin, you see that property values are only about 1/2 of what else is in that area. That indicates that it isn't the nicest housing or school district in the area, which I didn't think was being debated, but hardly that crime has created a "hole".

Old 09-14-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
thats whats so great
1515 Penn Avenue, Jeannette PA For Sale - Trulia
50k? nice.
319 North 1st Street, Jeannette PA For Sale - Trulia
yeah that would be 450k in shadyside..won't argue.

jeanette is surrounded by a lot of subdivision suburbs. true. and smaller towns like manor, harrison city, penn, claridge that have nothing at all going on.

but this was a discussion on walkability.

you have ~20 restaurants in the city, antique stores, grocery store, baker, butcher, specialty shops, art, bars, parks, even a place on the main drag for little kids dance/birthday parties, etc.. its a cool place.

and apologies for starting this derail of the thread but, welcome to the internet i guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh