Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 02:10 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this helps, but my next door neighbor is a year or two younger than me (that puts him in his mid-late 20's) and I think in his third year of residency at Pitt. He seems to have very little issue socializing or finding dating partners at this point, although he did at first. He shared with me the main reason is that his first year of surgery was awful in terms of hours. That issue is going to exist during residency no matter where you live. He hosts parties/gatherings pretty regularly, and while many of his friends are other residents, not all of them are. There are also usually at least as many ladies as there are guys, many of them quite attractive. If you're outgoing and active, you'll do just fine as a resident in Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 02:13 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
I was a single professional that came to pittsburgh & am no longer single so there's that data point.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh238 View Post
im very picky and grew up in a religious household so my dating experience was held back for several years. Ive casually dated for a while but have had a hard time finding someone who is smart, has the same relationship ideals as I have had, and is attractive for a long term relationship. As I age it gets harder and harder (ie they are taken). Im just saying -its not easy and I dont want to spend the next 3 to 6 years doing a residency/fellowship at a place I may be miserable at.
Are you still religious? When you have children, do you plan to raise them by your faith?

Old 09-13-2014, 07:38 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
If you're the average medical resident, I'm guessing you're around 29 now, right? In my experience, it's perfectly normal for people with graduate degrees to not get married until they are in the 30-35 range. I am not sure about in medicine in particular, but it's certainly true these days for people who have traditional academic degrees like Masters or PHDs.

If you're pulling from a dating pool of people who don't have an advanced degree, many people may have shacked up already by their 20s, but I cannot think the dating pool of highly educated women is really *that* poor.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:50 AM

53 posts, read 109,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Are you still religious? When you have children, do you plan to raise them by your faith?
I am not religious but I would like my kids to be whatever faith they are (or not)- as long as they are not supporting violent or extreme tendencies/orthodoxies.

I think religion can offer something nice in terms of structure and simple moralities that as kids can make life a bit easier or at least allow them to focus on what matters- career/academics etc.

Last edited by josh238; 09-14-2014 at 10:08 AM..

Old 09-14-2014, 10:17 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
I am not religious but I would like my kids to be whatever faith they are (or not)- as long as they are not supporting violent or extreme tendencies/orthodoxies.

I think religion can offer something nice in terms of structure and simple moralities that as kids can make life a bit easier or at least allow them to focus on what matters- career/academics etc.
Children become whatever religious faith their parents decide to have them educated in, at least initially. Once they become adults, you don't have a say in it anyhow.

Since you aren't religious, it will be the children's mom who will prevail on this.

Are you cool with the idea of meeting, and possibly marrying women of almost all faiths? Or is your definition of "extreme" pretty broad?

Old 09-14-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Not sure if this helps, but my next door neighbor is a year or two younger than me (that puts him in his mid-late 20's) and I think in his third year of residency at Pitt. He seems to have very little issue socializing or finding dating partners at this point, although he did at first. He shared with me the main reason is that his first year of surgery was awful in terms of hours. That issue is going to exist during residency no matter where you live. He hosts parties/gatherings pretty regularly, and while many of his friends are other residents, not all of them are. There are also usually at least as many ladies as there are guys, many of them quite attractive. If you're outgoing and active, you'll do just fine as a resident in Pittsburgh.
Can I ask how close to the city you live?

Old 09-14-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Children become whatever religious faith their parents decide to have them educated in, at least initially. Once they become adults, you don't have a say in it anyhow.

Since you aren't religious, it will be the children's mom who will prevail on this.

Are you cool with the idea of meeting, and possibly marrying women of almost all faiths? Or is your definition of "extreme" pretty broad?
doesnt matter to me really, just moderation is the requirement. Be nice, be kind to all, etc etc...sent u a pm though on specifics.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I was a single professional that came to pittsburgh & am no longer single so there's that data point.
How was your experience dating women? did you date many or were you lucky and just came across the right one?

Old 09-14-2014, 11:56 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Quote:
Can I ask how close to the city you live?
I live in Shadyside, which is just east of Oakland where Pitt and many of their hospitals are located. It is a city neighborhood, but not a downtown with high rises. Part of the neighborhood is very wealthy by Pittsburgh standards, that's the western portion. The eastern portion is a mix of older single family homes, some fancy some not, condos, apartments, and old homes chopped up into apartments. I live in an example of the last one of those.

The eastern part of the neighborhood where I live is a mix of grad students, young professionals, some young families, as well as some older folks. Easy walking distance to 4 grocery stores, places to buy alcohol, and quite a few bars and restaurants ranging from dives to pretty high end with valet parking.

Rent here can be anything from moderate to high. I know folks who pay under $700 a month for a 1 br and others who pay $2500+ a month for updated condos. A key here is taking the time to look and not having pets. I pay under $1000 a month for a 1 br with a den that I use as a home office. It has a decent kitchen, a brand new bathroom, central air, and off street parking. Some others around here would have you believe a place like this doesn't exist, and I will say it was hard to find as I looked for 6-8 weeks while I stayed with family after moving to town. But if you put in the work, you can live rather nicely here in a neighborhood with access to work as well as access to nightlife.

Sadly, I may be leaving this great place that I absolutely love for the eastern half of the state to work at a company in Philly. I am awaiting a job offer which should be in writing tomorrow that may be too good to refuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh