Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:37 AM

814 posts, read 1,150,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
... and how many years does it take to become a tradition?
It's not the years that invalidates it in my eyes so much as it is the complete lack of originality.

Ohio State fans are unrepentantly irritating but at least "Hang On Sloopy" isn't used by every other sports team ever. And I certainly have no love lost for WVU but I can respect "Country Roads" as a team anthem.

"Sweet Caroline" has gotten to the point where it's like "Don't Stop Believing" in that I would die very happy if I never had to hear a bunch of drunk idiots screaming it ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 08:09 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
It's not the years that invalidates it in my eyes so much as it is the complete lack of originality.

Ohio State fans are unrepentantly irritating but at least "Hang On Sloopy" isn't used by every other sports team ever. And I certainly have no love lost for WVU but I can respect "Country Roads" as a team anthem.

"Sweet Caroline" has gotten to the point where it's like "Don't Stop Believing" in that I would die very happy if I never had to hear a bunch of drunk idiots screaming it ever again.

Exactly. Pitt can keep doing in for a hundred years, but it will always be completely contrived.

Pitt's only great tradition is having their home stadium (by which I mean the Steelers home stadium) taken over by rival fan bases.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:54 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Exactly. Pitt can keep doing in for a hundred years, but it will always be completely contrived.

Pitt's only great tradition is having their home stadium (by which I mean the Steelers home stadium) taken over by rival fan bases.
Pitt football really suffered by moving the stadium across down. They may be making more money, but it feels very removed from the university life. As an undergrad, Pitt football games were barely on the radar of your average student.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:16 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
If Pitt Football was significant people would fill Heinz Field.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:51 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
Baltimore fans are way way way worse than anything youd find in PGH, so im happy you liked it better in PGH op

Old 09-24-2014, 05:24 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I remember the time I was there when the fans just started yelling Yankees Suck, and they were playing the White Sox.
Yankee hatred runs really deep here! More then likely they were responding to The Yankees game. We tend to watch the score on the old fashioned scoreboard. The crowd will chant that, depending on their mood, if The Yankees score, are losing or have lost.

Woke up this morning and found that The Pirates are in the post season. Congratulations! Since we are out and I have no secondary team I follow, I will cheer for them. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2014, 03:07 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Woke up this morning and found that The Pirates are in the post season. Congratulations! Since we are out and I have no secondary team I follow, I will cheer for them. Good luck!
Thanks!

Somehow, I don't think you'll have to wait too long for the BoSox to be playing in October again.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:38 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times

Keeping my promise to cheer for Pittsburgh. I even got my boy involved.

Edit: I tried but I guess I just can't figure out how to add a photo! So just take my word for it. I sent my boy to school in a McCutchen shirt.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:45 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Keeping my promise to cheer for Pittsburgh. I even got my boy involved.

Edit: I tried but I guess I just can't figure out how to add a photo! So just take my word for it. I sent my boy to school in a McCutchen shirt.
I hope they don't give him trouble for that (Boston isn't def not the classiest sports town from my experience)! But anyway have a happy Buctober!

Old 10-01-2014, 06:54 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
If Pitt Football was significant people would fill Heinz Field.
True. But I think Pitt's ceiling anymore is consistent 8 win seasons with the occasional 9 win season. I don't think even consistent top 25 seasons against mediocre ACC opponents will really make a huge bump in attendance. From what I understand, Pitt Stadium didn't even sell out during the glory years of the late 70s and early 80s. I think a 40-50K venue on or near campus would be perfect and do quite well, even though I understand that it will probably never happen in my lifetime. I'm a Pitt fan but also a realist.

As for the Bucs today, I'll be watching the excitement grow from my office window, once this fog lifts. We can only hope the stadium is half as electric as it was for last year's WC game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh