Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:31 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times

Advertisements

"Places such as Wilkinsburg, McKeesport and the Natrona Heights area deal with similar challenges, including growing backlogs of properties set for demolition.

'A lot of these buildings are getting death sentences because nobody can afford to fix them up and bring them up to code,' said Barry Denk, director of the Center for Rural Pennsylvania."

Lending challenges, rehab costs thwart efforts to revitalize | TribLIVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 08:39 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
If the cost of renovation is more than what the value of the property is expected to be after its done, the renovation isn't going to be done.

Lenders can't finance this kind of project with a mortgage, as the collateral doesn't cover the possible loss if the borrower defaults.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:41 AM

And this is why revitalization of older communities stalls, and sprawl continues. Well, one reason, at least. There should be incentives for projects that revive housing in depressed communities, not disincentives. This throwing away of established communities is not sustainable or positive.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:42 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Demolition by neglect.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:44 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
There should be incentives for projects that revive housing in depressed communities, not disincentives.
I think you'd want it paired with incentives to push over the houses that get past a certain point. One ruin sitting there empty for years can cause all sorts of problem.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:47 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
And this is why revitalization of older communities stalls, and sprawl continues. Well, one reason, at least. There should be incentives for projects that revive housing in depressed communities, not disincentives. This throwing away of established communities is not sustainable or positive.
There are incentives, special lower rate government guaranteed loans for homeowners in disadvantaged communities seeking to do repairs.

I'm not familiar with the particulars of the projects, but I wonder if the newer construction near Beltzhoover Ave. and Industry, and along Finance St. in Homewood Brushton are part of HUD programs to help impoverished neighborhoods.

Maybe not enough is being done, but there already programs out there.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:50 AM

It's not enough. Not even close.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:31 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
On top of all the costs mentioned, there are also big costs in places like Wilkinsburg that makes it about impossible to own a building and make a profit on flipping or renting it out. Why? The crazy taxes. I am looking for a building to renovate and Wilkinsburg comes up in my searches, but that tax bill is too high to make the numbers work. It is what it is. Tearing places down is going to happen. Building new places are not going to happen due to the tax situation. The costs are too high. Anyone have a solution? I don't think there is one at this time.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:02 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
If the Pittsburgh area follows what's happened in other areas those properties will eventually be redeveloped with some gentrification taking place. That's assuming that there are jobs close enough to offer an incentive for people to live there.

Some of the worst areas in DC 30 years ago are now the "hot" places to be. In Baltimore, not so much.

And yes, I'm using non-PA examples.

Preservation Pioneer, you're correct, the incentives may not be enough but what level would be? Every dollar given to that program is a dollar that can't be used elsewhere.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:08 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
On top of all the costs mentioned, there are also big costs in places like Wilkinsburg that makes it about impossible to own a building and make a profit on flipping or renting it out. Why? The crazy taxes. I am looking for a building to renovate and Wilkinsburg comes up in my searches, but that tax bill is too high to make the numbers work. It is what it is. Tearing places down is going to happen. Building new places are not going to happen due to the tax situation. The costs are too high. Anyone have a solution? I don't think there is one at this time.
You'd think someone could come up with a solution to this. Similar things happen in a lot of poor areas (including much of Detroit), where because the house values are so low, they have to raise the rates to get blood out of stones because they still have to somehow pay for basic services. Except that this is a disincentive to ever have a home that's worth anything at all (and often people just move), the tax base shrinks even more. It's a vicious cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh