Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:19 AM

4 posts, read 11,659 times

Advertisements

My husband, 3 children (11,9,3), and I are moving to Pittsburgh very soon. I have learned so much about Peter's Township, Mt.Lebo, and USC. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about Bethel Park, PA. Does it have a "less than" reputation compared to Mt. Lebo/USC? Are the schools as good? I've noticed when searching for houses some Bethel Park listing say the high school is Peters and one said USC and others said a different high school. What is the general feel of Bethel? I'm finding more houses I like there at the right price, but I'm concerned it is looked down upon comparatively. Is Peters the same way? Kind of considered "less than" to USC and Mt. Lebo? I'm surprised I am having such a hard time getting a feel for the areas. I've come once to check things out, but it was a fast visit and I didn't see Bethel Park. I'll be coming again soon to really house shop! Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 11:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
Welcome to the forum topittsburghwego, perhaps a moderator would be so kind as to move your post to the Pittsburg section..

Old 09-22-2014, 01:40 PM

44,245 posts, read 19,902,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topittsburghwego View Post
Thanks! How do I move it to the Pittsburgh section?
I'll take care of it for you.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:05 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,447,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topittsburghwego View Post
I'm finding more houses I like there at the right price, but I'm concerned it is looked down upon comparatively. Is Peters the same way? Kind of considered "less than" to USC and Mt. Lebo? I'm surprised I am having such a hard time getting a feel for the areas. I've come once to check things out, but it was a fast visit and I didn't see Bethel Park. I'll be coming again soon to really house shop! Thank you so much for your help!
Look at the rankings. you are talking pretty much the top 2 school districts.
"Mt. Lebanon unseats Upper St. Clair as region's top-ranking school district" is an article run in PBT pretty recently...

others are very good too but when you are comparing to 1 and 2, yes obviously some people will consider them "less than".

Personally that wouldn't bother me. There are dozens of really good school districts but whether they can't play the rankings game as well, don't have quite the money, whatever..aren't on the top of the important lists.
If that will stick in your craw, up the budget.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:39 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,346,847 times
You cant go wrong with bethel park. They have there own brand new high school. No one will look down on you for buying a house in bethel park. You will be able to get a little more house for the money in bethel.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:53 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,093,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
You cant go wrong with bethel park. They have there own brand new high school. No one will look down on you for buying a house in bethel park. You will be able to get a little more house for the money in bethel.
If someone is looking down on you for where you live, that's not someone I'd want to associate with.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:34 PM

4 posts, read 11,659 times
Thanks for some input! Much appreciated! I have looked at the school rankings and recently Bethel Park school rankings. Bethel Park rankings look good and as far as the schools and though they rank below USC and Mt. Lebo, they still appear to be a solid school system. I would love to be in an area that people are proud to be a part of, that the reaction from others is "Oh, that's a nice community, " or, "I hear great things about that part of town." I don't need it to necessarily have an affluent vibe. However, I am looking for a community that doesn't have good parts and bad parts to it, just good (meaning a run down side, and a nicer side). From reading another blog, it sounds like Bethel Park is bigger than I thought. Thank you all for your help!

Old 09-22-2014, 10:24 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,346,847 times
I am a large supporter of usc and mt. Lebo, but bethel park is a solid community. It is a great place to raise a family.

Pittsburgh has some of the best school districts, when you look at school rankings for this area remember the top four of five schools are tops in the state. Bethel park ranks in the top 10% in the state, bethel is a safe area with plenty of amenities and a bright future.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
Bethel Park is a fine township with a solid reputation.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:56 AM

32,604 posts, read 77,235,199 times
Bethel Park is a very nice community, albeit from my own personal standards I don't like the lack of a downtown/town center. There are a few snobs who think if a school district isn't Upper St. Clair or Fox Chapel Area, then it's "mediocre" or even "worthless". I went to a high school growing up that was MUCH worse-ranked than Bethel Park, and I turned out fine (ducks flying stilettos).

It's like someone who has to have a Mercedes-Benz instead of an Infiniti or an entry-level series BMW instead of a top-of-the-line Honda. Some people are all obsessed with prestige, status, and image. No, not everyone in Upper St. Clair or Fox Chapel are like that, but the people who specifically buy into those districts and pay premiums on their homes relative to other good districts always make me scratch my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh