Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 07:37 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times

Advertisements

Real estate agents are "independent contractors", so lets not bash over that too much. If there isn't that much meat on the bone, the independent contractor route may be the only way to go. There are pizza delivery drivers that make okay money I guess. I think if you could do deliveries on a bike, you would make real money, but I don't know if the area is too big. There are people delivering on bikes out there. Doing it with a car is going to really be making about nothing after you beat the heck out of your car and all that maintenance, not to mention fuel costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 07:46 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Being an independent contractor vs. an employee is a big deal for a potential employee. People want a guaranteed wage. An hourly rate seals the deal. As an IC you don't have a guaranteed rate of pay and that is going to deter a lot of people from doing this work under this pay structure.

The IC route can work but it is dependent upon good routing of the delivery driver and he needs to have two or more deliveries on board each time he leaves a store unless he is literally driving a mile to the point of pickup and then perhaps a mile to the delivery destination.

The terrain and roads in Pittsburgh are also going to pose a great challenge. Driving some distance will take a lot of time vs. driving in a flatter city. That reduces the earning potential as a contractor.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:48 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Being an independent contractor vs. an employee is a big deal for a potential employee. People want a guaranteed wage. An hourly rate seals the deal. As an IC you don't have a guaranteed rate of pay and that is going to deter a lot of people from doing this work under this pay structure.
That's a different distinction. You can have an hourly rate and be an independent contractor. And in a business where you are getting a good portion of your money from being tipped, you don't get a guaranteed wage even if you are an employee.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:07 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
There really two kinds of "independent contractors":

- Truly independent contractors that dictate their own fees, hours, and manage their entire income stream themselves

- "Independent contractors" in name only. They do the same job, have set hours, follow company rules, do not set their pay rate, and normally don't get the same pay and benefits are regular employers. May also be called "permatemps".

I have done both and I will never do one of them again. Take a guess as to which one that is....

Old 09-30-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That's a different distinction. You can have an hourly rate and be an independent contractor. And in a business where you are getting a good portion of your money from being tipped, you don't get a guaranteed wage even if you are an employee.
Dunno. I've been an IC for many years with different companies and to date, I have never seen a contractor be paid an hourly wage unless they went on the company payroll.

A Domino's delivery driver (example) will start at minimum wage which is more than twice as much as the $3.25 per delivery being offered by SCR. A delivery person can do the math. He'll make twice as much per hour wage wise during slow periods and still be tipped if he does that one delivery in an hour.

There are wage laws that require an IC to earn at least the minimum wage per hour worked. I would like to know of at least one business that pays its contractors by the hour. To date, I don't know of any in any business.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:11 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Dunno. I've been an IC for many years with different companies and to date, I have never seen a contractor be paid an hourly wage unless they went on the company payroll.
See Aqua Teen Carl above.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:57 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
There really two kinds of "independent contractors":

- Truly independent contractors that dictate their own fees, hours, and manage their entire income stream themselves

- "Independent contractors" in name only. They do the same job, have set hours, follow company rules, do not set their pay rate, and normally don't get the same pay and benefits are regular employers. May also be called "permatemps".

I have done both and I will never do one of them again. Take a guess as to which one that is....
Yep, one of the great unethical scams of the modern U.S. economy.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Yep, one of the great unethical scams of the modern U.S. economy.
You really have to wonder when the bottom fall outs on this. Post recession it has become "the new normal" in some respects and there hasn't really been a significant backlash aside from slight media coverage here and there.

Historically American workers' rights have had highs and lows. This is just one of the many reasons why I think it's in a low point right now.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
See Aqua Teen Carl above.
No mention is made by ATC to being paid a set hourly rate. Merely stating that the rate of pay is not necessarily a set pay rate. Rate of pay to people that are sub contracted is usually by the piece, job or by mile if a delivery job. I have never heard of someone being sub contracted getting paid by the hour for a delivery job. This might apply to someone that paints a house or does odd jobs such as a handyman but definitely not delivery workers that have been contracted or sub contracted.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:10 AM

I was a software developer at a major local corporation and also an "independent contractor". I was paid by the hour... at a lower rate than the person sitting next to me doing the same thing. Also had no PTO and far worse health insurance. Of course they dangled the carrot of "you'll be hired as a full timer soon enough" which never materialized.

Murica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh