Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 02:37 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,831,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
i do find the preseason ratings interesting. Coming from the Northeast, neither myself nor anyone I knew ever watched or attended preseason games. There was always a baseball game on. And that's even when I was a diehard football fan. I can maybe understand watching the first half of preseason game #3 when the regulars really get tested, but beyond that? Does not compute.
Agreed... it's bewildering and quite sad really. I think the best thing for this region would be a sustained period of Steelers mediocrity in order to ween the population off its over-the-top fanaticism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 02:42 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,250,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Agreed... it's bewildering and quite sad really. I think the best thing for this region would be a sustained period of Steelers mediocrity in order to ween the population off its over-the-top fanaticism.
They're 8-8 the last 2 seasons and they're lousy this year. With this coaching staff the mediocrity will continue but Stiller population will never be weened. Its a football town with a baseball team.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:50 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
They're 8-8 the last 2 seasons and they're lousy this year. With this coaching staff the mediocrity will continue but Stiller population will never be weened. Its a football town with a baseball team.
And there's been tens of thousands of no-shows at many Steeler games over the past few years. I sense the apathy setting in.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
And there's been tens of thousands of no-shows at many Steeler games over the past few years. I sense the apathy setting in.
Lol. There have been many lean Stiller years but Stiller fans are used to winning so there will be grumblings, but the popularity in da 'burgh nor nationwide will ever die.

Like the Bucs, I sense wishful thinking setting in by one who isn't a Stiller/football fan. Bucs are even a far distance from being as popular as the Pens.

Last edited by erieguy; 10-02-2014 at 03:33 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 06:13 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,779,234 times
I took a road trip to Charlotte two weekends ago to watch the Steelers play the Panthers, and I just got my ticket today to see them play the Jaguars in Jacksonville this weekend!

I'll be 36 at the end of this month.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:20 AM

831 posts, read 880,329 times
Why does anybody care? Like what you like, who cares if what you like is popular or not popular??

Old 10-03-2014, 10:06 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,540,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Wishful thinking by Bucs/baseball fans, but that statement couldn't be more false.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the thought. Although, I think more people will be drawn to hockey. I see the tide turning with regard to football, particularly at the youth level. At some point this has to matter.

Ice

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle9242309/

Old 10-03-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the thought. Although, I think more people will be drawn to hockey. I see the tide turning with regard to football, particularly at the youth level. At some point this has to matter.

Ice

How Sidney Crosby turned Pittsburgh into Hockeytown - The Globe and Mail
I'm a huge hockey fan and I think the growth is awesome. I hope it continues to grow. On top of that you have an awesome owner in Mario who has a huge desire to win. That makes a gigantic difference...but the NFL is king...and Stiller football will remain so in da 'burgh.

The Bucs have 2 good seasons in 22 years so some think/hope the tide will turn in popularity, but it's just not gonna happen, especially under current ownership.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:50 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,566,102 times
Eriegrey and Everguy, it's WEAN!!!

Here comes my first infraction in 2 years. Hi, Yac!

Old 10-03-2014, 10:54 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,566,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I took a road trip to Charlotte two weekends ago to watch the Steelers play the Panthers, and I just got my ticket today to see them play the Jaguars in Jacksonville this weekend!

I'll be 36 at the end of this month.

I went to a Steeler game in J-ville about 5 years ago, good time. We stayed on Jacksonville Beach, nice area. The Bucs don't draw all that well and did the old Pirates thing by blocking out about 15K seats to lower their capacity. When we were there Pgh fans were in great numbers. Curious to see if it's still the same, report back n'at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh