Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 04:21 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Let's see, Luddite: one of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying laborsaving machinery as a protest; broadly : one who is opposed to especially technological change.

I seriously doubt Mr. Sink is old enough to be one of the originals. And I don't believe anything in his initial post would leave anyone to believe he opposed to technological change. He merely stated when he gets tired of talk radio he pops in a CD. Been there, done that. I can only take so much Mark Madden, Ron Cook, and even Stan bugs me from time to time. So when I crank up my in-dash 8 track with the Best of Ferrante and Teicher does that make me a Luddite, n'at?
As someone who's been in software project management, I never understood how 8-tracks ever got as far as being released to the public. I can't imagine a customer requirements spec that said consumers wouldn't mind having a song cut off midstream. It's sort of ridiculous to think that we couldn't have gone right from LPs to cassettes.

But anyway, thanks for the support. And the chuckle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 09:08 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I recall my freshmen year when 8 tracks were big. They did sound better than cassettes, probably because of the tape size, but not being able to record killed them. Kind of like the Beta vs VHS battle. But I do have a reel-to-reel in my basement that I can let you have cheap. And I'll throw in three 4 hour long party tapes.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:34 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
9,000 no-shows last night... Steeler crowds starting to look like Panther crowds

Old 10-21-2014, 05:22 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
9,000 no-shows last night... Steeler crowds starting to look like Panther crowds
Funny, as the Panthers would love to only have 9000 empty seats.

Last edited by erieguy; 10-21-2014 at 05:31 AM..

Old 10-21-2014, 05:34 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Wow, Everguy and Eriegrey semi agree on something.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Wow, Everguy and Eriegrey semi agree on something.
Lol. No, I just find trying to compare the attendance funny, as the 2 aren't even close.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:15 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
I just don't understand why people would pay that much money for football tickets and then not go. They're a bunch of ****ing spoiled-ass fans who apparently can't handle two consecutive 8-8 seasons without losing their ****. Those sons of ******* are even softer than they claim the team is. My own mother called them "a bunch of dogs in mangers" the other night, given the fact that the Steelers have a season ticket waiting list long enough that they're adding 3,000 seats to Heinz Field to help shorten the list.

If my last name was Rooney, I wouldn't even bother with the extra seats because all I'd have to do is document all the chronically-absent season ticket holders and then revoke their privileges. That'd help shorten the waiting list, and it'd also give the crowd at Heinz Field a much-needed enema since the new season ticket holders would probably be more enthusiastic and not take their season ticket privileges for granted.

By the way, I don't necessarily mind a scattering of the other team's fans in Heinz Field because that's proof that more people are moving to Pittsburgh, which is proof that the local economy is improving.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:12 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

If my last name was Rooney, I wouldn't even bother with the extra seats because all I'd have to do is document all the chronically-absent season ticket holders and then revoke their privileges.
Maybe... but not based on MNF games.

Monday night games are very bad for many people, because most have to work the next day.
Then there are the season ticket holders who come from out of town... Monday night just doesn't fit in well.
Add to that the number of older season ticket holders who can't/won't drive at night, and you have empty seats.

I know some people who would like to dump their seats permanently, as they have no interest in going to the games any more... but they want to recover their PSL fee.
Friends/neighbors will often buy most of the tickets, but they won't pay the PSL.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I just don't understand why people would pay that much money for football tickets and then not go. They're a bunch of ****ing spoiled-ass fans who apparently can't handle two consecutive 8-8 seasons without losing their ****. Those sons of ******* are even softer than they claim the team is. My own mother called them "a bunch of dogs in mangers" the other night, given the fact that the Steelers have a season ticket waiting list long enough that they're adding 3,000 seats to Heinz Field to help shorten the list.

If my last name was Rooney, I wouldn't even bother with the extra seats because all I'd have to do is document all the chronically-absent season ticket holders and then revoke their privileges. That'd help shorten the waiting list, and it'd also give the crowd at Heinz Field a much-needed enema since the new season ticket holders would probably be more enthusiastic and not take their season ticket privileges for granted.

By the way, I don't necessarily mind a scattering of the other team's fans in Heinz Field because that's proof that more people are moving to Pittsburgh, which is proof that the local economy is improving.
They're lousy and going nowhere. I blame nobody for not going. Empty seats shows people expect a good product and the coaching staff and Art playing Jerry Jones is taking them nowhere but mediocrity at best. Mediocrity is great for the Bucs but not the Stillers or Pens.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:59 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Quote:

I saw legions of Houston Texans fans out and about enjoying Pittsburgh this weekend. I love seeing that. Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh