Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 12:53 PM

316 posts, read 437,313 times

Advertisements

This year, I've noticed a lot less Steelers-oriented enthusiasm just being "out and about". It reminds me of the late 80's and early 90's when the Bucs were hot and the Steelers just sucked for the most part. Could it be possible that we're seeing the beginning of a decline in Steelermania for a while?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 01:04 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksburgh View Post
This year, I've noticed a lot less Steelers-oriented enthusiasm just being "out and about". It reminds me of the late 80's and early 90's when the Bucs were hot and the Steelers just sucked for the most part. Could it be possible that we're seeing the beginning of a decline in Steelermania for a while?
No, but it's certainly wishful thinking by football/Stiller haters. The Bucs on their best days/years never surpassed Stiller fan support.

Stillers are lousy so there will be grumblings, and Bucs fans will feed off of that, but certainly false hope of "Steelermania" fading. The Bucs playing .500 ball is in Bucs fan standards great, whereas Stiller fans see it as a terrible season. Standards between Bucs and Stiller fans greatly differs.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:53 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Alot of the early 30's and younger population seems to be shifting to the pens. I am 41 and i don' t watch the steelers amymore. I use to be a diehard fan.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:04 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
I am quite curious if the tide is turning on the NFL in general, especially following all of the press over the past few years on head injuries. If that is the case, beyond the easy "Steelers suck this year" excuse, you may see a more macro trend of the NFL losing some of its fanbase. My casual observation is that over the three years I have lived here, each year I have seen less Steelers gear displayed in public each year, but one could easily correlate that with their on field product as much as an overall shrinking of the fanbase. It would be interesting if football was considered less of a mainstream team sport and more of a combat sport.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I am quite curious if the tide is turning on the NFL in general, especially following all of the press over the past few years on head injuries. If that is the case, beyond the easy "Steelers suck this year" excuse, you may see a more macro trend of the NFL losing some of its fanbase. My casual observation is that over the three years I have lived here, each year I have seen less Steelers gear displayed in public each year, but one could easily correlate that with their on field product as much as an overall shrinking of the fanbase. It would be interesting if football was considered less of a mainstream team sport and more of a combat sport.
You obviously didn't watch the Stiller game today. More tix sold to the Jacksonville game today since 2012 and Jax was 0-4 prior to the game today. The number of Stiller fans at that game was huge.

As to seeing less Stiller gear over the last 3 years here, that comes as no surprise. With 2 8-8 seasons and this year not looking so good, there will certainly be less bandwagon fans.

Last edited by erieguy; 10-05-2014 at 04:26 PM..

Old 10-05-2014, 04:33 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
No, but it's certainly wishful thinking by football/Stiller haters. The Bucs on their best days/years never surpassed Stiller fan support.

Stillers are lousy so there will be grumblings, and Bucs fans will feed off of that, but certainly false hope of "Steelermania" fading. The Bucs playing .500 ball is in Bucs fan standards great, whereas Stiller fans see it as a terrible season. Standards between Bucs and Stiller fans greatly differs.
You are the biggest Bucs fan on this forum. You can't stop talking about them.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
You are the biggest Bucs fan on this forum. You can't stop talking about them.
You're right. I am a big Bucs fan. I'm just not a homer, yinzer or Nutting fan. Big difference...and a reason I'm always right about them.

Last edited by erieguy; 10-05-2014 at 04:58 PM..

Old 10-05-2014, 05:10 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
The Pens have done the best job at picking up younger fans. The season is longer and the tickets are cheaper.

I didn't even know the Bucs were in the playoffs or whatever until I heard they lost.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:15 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
NFL ratings and other indications of overall support shows differently. Their fanbase hasn't gone anywhere (unsurprisingly).

Old 10-05-2014, 05:19 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
NFL ratings and other indications of overall support shows differently. Their fanbase hasn't gone anywhere (unsurprisingly).
Yup - this thread is simply troll bait ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh