Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 07:17 PM

781 posts, read 1,618,733 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the Midwest, and may be relocating to Pittsburgh. We would be required to live within the city limits. I have done some reading on this thread and it looks like Squirrel Hill might be a good choice. (Dan Cochran has many of the same questions I do!) We have an Elementary age school kid.

I looked up Squirrel Hill and it looks like it is divided into sections; north/south. Shadysomething, Oakland etc.. It is a bit confusing.

What areas within Pittsburgh would be a good choice for a family that is looking for a nice neighborhood, good schools, and decent homes, 200-300K range. (Depending on taxes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 07:29 AM

56 posts, read 383,721 times
You are correct in paying attention to property taxes...they can be much higher than you are used to and need to be considered along with the monthly mortgage payment. See my response to another thread entitled "Pittsburgh Property Taxes" for a link to a website which will give you all of the tax info for Allegheny County.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:20 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Yes, Pittsburgh is defined by neighbourhoods--Squirrel Hill is one, Shadyside is another, and Oakland, yet a third. Each is unique, and if I am correct, all three are on the Eastside of Pittsburgh.

I know very little about schools, but as I have a grand-daughter, and another on the way, in Pittsburgh, I think about schools for them. My daughter is an activist and is now sitting on her community board to ensure that more attention is paid to public education (an investment in her children's future).

I suspect, like many cities, that education is on the lower rung of priorities, and that many parents are forced to send their children to private or heavily subsidized schools.

Shadyside and Squirrel Hill both are rather middle to middle-upper in income, so it is more likely the schools will be at least adequate. Oakland, which is less family-oriented--from my eye's view--may have fewer families with children.

On a final note, my SIL did attend Pittsburgh's public schools, and he did very well academically and went on to graduate school. He lived in a mixed community, very attractive, also on the East Side, called, East Liberty.

Here's a map of Pittsburgh neighbourhoods that might help,

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/cp/..._map_list.html

Old 11-02-2006, 12:25 PM

148 posts, read 520,649 times
I moved out of Pgh.

There is squirrl Hill, Shadyside, East Liberty, Greenfield, of course some of the east side neighborhoods.

I grew up in South Side and Greenfield. Squirrl Hill is a very nice area to live. I attened to Taylor Allderdice High School for 2 yrs before that I went to Brashear High.

Another nice area is Lincoln Place which is in between West Mifflin, Greenfield, Homestead.

but pa has very high taxes and that is why we moved out. We just relocated to Weirton Wv. Good luck

Old 11-08-2006, 09:49 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
We currently live in the Midwest, and may be relocating to Pittsburgh. We would be required to live within the city limits. I have done some reading on this thread and it looks like Squirrel Hill might be a good choice. (Dan Cochran has many of the same questions I do!) We have an Elementary age school kid.

I looked up Squirrel Hill and it looks like it is divided into sections; north/south. Shadysomething, Oakland etc.. It is a bit confusing.

What areas within Pittsburgh would be a good choice for a family that is looking for a nice neighborhood, good schools, and decent homes, 200-300K range. (Depending on taxes)
If you're looking to spend between 200-300 and are determined to send your kids to public school when they're older, then I would suggest looking in areas that pull to Alderdice High School. That would be Regent Square/Park Place, Squirrel Hill and Swisshelm Park areas in the East End.

On a side note: many of the City's elementary schools tend to be pretty good. It's the Middle/High Schools that most parents seem to worry about.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:45 AM

148 posts, read 520,649 times
I graduated from Allderdice High. Very good school, also Minadeo school is a very good school as well. It is near Allderdice High.

Here are some info on Minadeo School http://www.pps.k12.pa.us/Minadeo.asp (broken link)

Allderdice High http://www.pps.k12.pa.us/Allderdice.asp (broken link)

Greenfield School http://www.pps.k12.pa.us/Greenfield.asp (broken link)

If you want to browse through the whole site. http://www.pghboe.net/Schools.asp (broken link)

Old 12-03-2006, 03:08 PM

781 posts, read 1,618,733 times
It is official, we are moving to Pittsburgh! My husband accepted the position, and he will be heading out in January, and hopefully it will not take too long to sell our house.

I am going to have him research the neighborhoods you have mentioned. He will be working with the school district, so I am sure I can get help from them!

It is kind of scary, I have lived in WI, IA, NE, and IL, never outside the midwest!

Old 12-05-2006, 07:17 AM

57 posts, read 172,874 times
Quote:
It is official, we are moving to Pittsburgh! My husband accepted the position, and he will be heading out in January, and hopefully it will not take too long to sell our house.

I am going to have him research the neighborhoods you have mentioned. He will be working with the school district, so I am sure I can get help from them!

It is kind of scary, I have lived in WI, IA, NE, and IL, never outside the midwest!
Its not much different here - just instead of flat, its very hilly. And instead of 10" of snow, we get 1" of freezing rain, leaving a sheet of ice. I'm originally from Milwaukee, WI; i've lived here for 9 years now. Other than that climates are very similar, stores are very similar, etc. It's not like moving to NYC or Miami or anything, its pretty laid back and slow paced.

If you HAVE to live in the city, and education is most important, Alderdice is the best city school, so i'd buy in Squirrel Hill if possible. If too expensive, try to buy in Greenfield in a SAFE area - ie, as far away from Hazelwood as possible. For reference, i've lived in Squirrel Hill and Greenfield. Some parts of Greenfield are terrible, especially over by Hazelwood, or down in the area called "the run." I've heard gunshots, received property damage, and could hear police chasing/arresting people while sitting in the living room of my house in Greenfield. Last week a man was dragged for a mile by a car from Hazelwood into Greenfield (and subsequently died)- check the post-gazette online for the article.

A lot of other "required to live in the city" people live in Lincoln Place, I believe it feeds into Alderdice too, and is relatively safe, although that information is based on friends who have lived there and going to their houses; I personally have not lived there.

Stuart

Old 12-05-2006, 08:32 AM

44 posts, read 151,086 times
The biggest difference, I think you'll notice, is the neighborhoods are very defined. This is mostly due the topography. Steep hills, rivers and valleys make definate borders between districts and they have developed differently from each other. They are each unique to each other. It takes some leg work to find a location to suit you. There are pockets throughout the city. Just when you think you're in terrible area suddenly it turns beautiful.
Enjoy
also
Try Regent Square

Old 12-09-2006, 07:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Nothing to be scared about. Pittsburgh is an honorary Midwest city... Midwest values with hills and East Coast architecture.

Second on Regent Square. Lots of house for the money, steps away from a HUGE park with woods and paths and lawn bowling, and very kid-friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh