Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 08:54 AM

697 posts, read 777,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
You can shop where you want; it is your money you waste. I don't think it is the people in the area who did not want it, I think it was a small vocal minority along with a company who has been using market power to gouge customer for years. Giant Eagle is seeing its market dominance slip away and is trying to save it at the expense of the people of this region.

As far as your comment about the people not being able to figure out grocery pricing, you are sadly mistaken. Every Giant Eagle shopper I talk to greatly overestimates the value of Fuelperks and how that impacts the amount they spend in total on groceries..

I am concerned because I see a region where people are spending hundred of millions more for groceries that they have to. If those hundreds of millions were spent on other things it would greatly add to the growth of the region.
Not disputing that GE charges more because I agree and don't shop there. But I'd hope that people could do simple math about fuel perks, just as they make decisions about whether they want to shop at TJ Maxx, Nordstrom, Target, Big Lots, etc.

On the upside, GE does employ people in a variety of levels so their maintained market position is paying employees who do spend in the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 08:55 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,157,329 times
Quote:
If those hundreds of millions were spent on other things it would greatly add to the growth of the region.
Is the concern that those hundreds of millions could go into taxable sales, which could then be appropriated for things like infrastructure and better pay for employees in public service? Look, I hate GE as much as the next person, but shipping the jobs off to Kroger eliminates a ton of upper-middle class jobs and ships them off to Cincinnati. The law of unintended consequences looms large here.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:49 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,989,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
Not disputing that GE charges more because I agree and don't shop there. But I'd hope that people could do simple math about fuel perks, just as they make decisions about whether they want to shop at TJ Maxx, Nordstrom, Target, Big Lots, etc.

On the upside, GE does employ people in a variety of levels so their maintained market position is paying employees who do spend in the region.
I can tell you I have explained the Fuelperks math to people and the reaction is like an epiphany. People do not get it.
Keeping a few middle management jobs does not outweigh the jobs if hundreds of millions was freed up from grocery spending and spent on other things. There are far more front line jobs than there are middle management jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Look, I hate GE as much as the next person, but shipping the jobs off to Kroger eliminates a ton of upper-middle class jobs and ships them off to Cincinnati. The law of unintended consequences looms large here.
Since there are many fold more front line jobs than there are middle management jobs, all the money which would be freed up if competition caused grocery dollars to be spent elsewhere, many more front line jobs would be created compared to the middle management jobs lost at Giant Eagle. At the same time people would have a higher standard of living because they could buy other things with the money they saved on groceries.

I still want to know why the media does not do price comparison stores about groceries when they have plenty of time to do stories testing obscure infomercial products. No one will convince me that the major reason for this situation is anything other than fear of losing the Giant Eagle advertising account. The media is doing the consumers of this region a major disservice.

Last edited by Yac; 12-21-2016 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 12-20-2016, 10:29 AM

697 posts, read 777,565 times
Quote:
I still want to know why the media does not do price comparison stores about groceries when they have plenty of time to do stories testing obscure infomercial products. No one will convince me that the major reason for this situation is anything other than fear of losing the Giant Eagle advertising account. The media is doing the consumers of this region a major disservice.
Why don't you contact Marty or one of those other radio talk or TV personalities to do it. I don't watch the local news so have no idea who does that sort of thing but I'm sure they're out there.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:52 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,913,690 times
Quote:

This is where you lose me. You have been told by someone that works in the industry that advertising and news are two distinct and separate parts of the business, but you don't believe them. Nothing can be said to convince you of the that. I would hate to see the news do an investigation and it not end up on your side of the story, because then you would cry foul on that too. The only "truth" to you is the "truth" you believe and the one that fits your narrative.

I would tend to believe that they don't do a story because people don't care. My mother for example knows she is paying more, but that is "her store" and she likes it. There are very few people, if any, that don't know Walmart is cheaper for basically everything. You can't tell me that walking into Giant Eagle Market District/Whole Foods/Fresh Market is not an entirely different experience than walking into a WalMart. People are paying for the experience, and to them that is worth it. The last time I stepped in a Walmart the place reeked of McDonald's food and was disgustingly dirty. You may overlook that and not care, but others do, and chose to spend their money at a place that offers a better experience.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:03 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,145,370 times
There are options besides Giant Eagle out there, some people are just too lazy or ignorant to try a different store I guess. We always go to a Shop n Save for groceries, never Giant Eagle.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:05 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,047,567 times
SHARE fuel perks! I do 80%-90% of my grocery shopping at Aldi's. I need to go to Giant Eagle for my necessities that they excel in, compared to Aldi's (green leaf lettuce!), and for a few other things.

I do use the card, and donate all my fuel perks to family (they have a copy of my card). I wish you can donate it to a charity.

So I am not entirely sure what Enough_Already meant about explaning fuel perks. I assume s/he meant they really do not pay for themselves. Well, there is a low tipping point at which you CAN take advantage of these points without spending more there than you need to, vs. Aldi's or Shop N Save.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:52 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,883,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I would tend to believe that they don't do a story because people don't care. My mother for example knows she is paying more, but that is "her store" and she likes it. There are very few people, if any, that don't know Walmart is cheaper for basically everything. You can't tell me that walking into Giant Eagle Market District/Whole Foods/Fresh Market is not an entirely different experience than walking into a WalMart. People are paying for the experience, and to them that is worth it. The last time I stepped in a Walmart the place reeked of McDonald's food and was disgustingly dirty. You may overlook that and not care, but others do, and chose to spend their money at a place that offers a better experience.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PghYinzer again."

Old 12-20-2016, 12:05 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,530,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post

I would tend to believe that they don't do a story because people don't care. My mother for example knows she is paying more, but that is "her store" and she likes it. .
Your Mom is a ''true Pittsburgher". My Mom and Aunt had to be taken to two different Giant Eagles because one had better produce or so they thought. Drove my sister and me nuts.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:36 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,530,226 times
Quote:
Here's a thought, why don't YOU do one? Pick 30 items, go to
both stores and then compare prices. Then blog it on the 'net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh