Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 01:34 PM

45,368 posts, read 60,546,019 times

Advertisements

I was up in Cook Forest over the weekend. Went through Punx'y and it was $3.29. Got to Brookville and it was $2.92.

It's been under $3 down here in MD for about 3 weeks now. Lowest I've seen was $2.84 outside Annapolis.

To answer another question about fuel perks. Both major groceries, Giant and Safeway, have them down here. Safeway even has its own gas stations attached to some of the stores as well as having them apply at Exxon. Giant has a deal with Shell.

BP has its own fuel program. I haven't quite figured out how it works, sometimes I get a couple cents off and sometimes its a nickel off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 01:45 PM

618 posts, read 692,124 times
After fifteen pages, I still cannot believe that commodities in a city would be more expensive than in rural areas.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:16 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
DH paid $2.809 in OH yesterday.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:11 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
After fifteen pages, I still cannot believe that commodities in a city would be more expensive than in rural areas.
You're absolutely right. People in Pittsburgh pay more for everything because people in Pittsburgh are much more affluent than people in the suburbs.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:01 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You're absolutely right. People in Pittsburgh pay more for everything because people in Pittsburgh are much more affluent than people in the suburbs.
In general, the poorer a neighborhood, the higher the price for goods and services. It is commonly referred to as the "ghetto tax."

Old 11-12-2014, 07:14 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
In general, the poorer a neighborhood, the higher the price for goods and services. It is commonly referred to as the "ghetto tax."
More affluent areas attract more competition from businesses seeking to enter a market.

That tends to push prices down in better off areas.

When I worked for an inventory business 35 years ago, we went into different area supermarkets late at night. The prices at the East Liberty, East Hills, Homewood Giant Eagles were significantly higher than those in South Hills stores, where Foodland and Shop n Save had a more significant presence.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:52 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I paid $1.93 a gallon on Sunday in Monroeville. Thx fuel perks. If only they gave them on beer purchases too, my gas would be free
Actually you paid more than the price listed on the pump / sign. Your fuel perks do not even come close to offsetting the higher prices of most everything at Giant Eagle.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:58 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Actually you paid more than the price listed on the pump / sign. Your fuel perks do not even come close to offsetting the higher prices of most everything at Giant Eagle.
I noticed this. I just FINALLY signed up for an Advantage Card at Giant Eagle last weekend. It saved me a whopping $0.80 off $50 worth of my regular weekly groceries and netted me a $0.10/gallon savings on my gasoline. Instead of paying $3.13/gallon for nine gallons ($28.17) at the Squirrel Hill GetGo I paid $3.03/gallon ($27.27) for nine gallons, a total savings between fuel and groceries of $1.70. Meanwhile if I had just bought these regular grocery items at a Shop 'n Save, ALDI, Bottom Dollar Foods, dollar store, etc. I would have saved MORE than $1.70 just on the grocery items alone.

Anyone who thinks Giant Eagle is a "great deal" is a *******.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:11 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I noticed this. I just FINALLY signed up for an Advantage Card at Giant Eagle last weekend. It saved me a whopping $0.80 off $50 worth of my regular weekly groceries and netted me a $0.10/gallon savings on my gasoline. Instead of paying $3.13/gallon for nine gallons ($28.17) at the Squirrel Hill GetGo I paid $3.03/gallon ($27.27) for nine gallons, a total savings between fuel and groceries of $1.70. Meanwhile if I had just bought these regular grocery items at a Shop 'n Save, ALDI, Bottom Dollar Foods, dollar store, etc. I would have saved MORE than $1.70 just on the grocery items alone.

Anyone who thinks Giant Eagle is a "great deal" is a *******.
It is possible you could have saved $1.70 on just one item at some other stores. Giant Eagle can be good for prescriptions, sale items, and a couple selected other items but in general they are much more expensive than other stores and the margin is much more than the 6% Fuel Perks savings (compared to stores without a fuel discount program like Aldi, Wal-Mart, etc.). Shop and Save also has a fuel discount program and their prices can be lower than Giant Eagle.

We have consumer reporters at most of our local television stations but they never report on this issue.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:13 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Ok. I shall idulge in your advise. I'll make sure I drive several miles every time I want to buy a few groceries, find the nearest Wal Mart or Aldi or whatever, even if I just want some milk, so I can save a few cents, instead of walking a few minutes to Squirrel Hill Giant Eagle. You know it makes sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh