Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 07:43 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I was joking. So we suburbanites are to be restricted on development but not the City? I'm sure there was a lot of green space in Pittsburgh proper back in the day, not so much now. Should development been stopped? Were will people live, on top of each other in high rises?
We've taken a metropolitan area that has strongly declined in population over the past few generations and is only NOW starting to grow modestly again and spread it out like butter over a very vast area (and inefficiently, at that). At what point do we draw an urban growth boundary around a certain area and say "that's far enough" to conserve precious open space for our posterity? In Butler County it's too late for Cranberry Township and Adams Township to have their open space reserved and/or developed responsibly; however, Jackson Township and Forward Township, immediately to the north of Cranberry Township and Adams Township, respectively, don't need to suffer the same fate of being paved over for strip malls, cul-de-sacs, big-box stores, etc.

It would be different if this entire region was growing like gangbusters. It's not. If 1,000 new residents come to the area each year, why would we want 100 of them to settle in the city limits, 300 to settle in inner suburban areas, and 600 to tear down trees to settle in new housing in the outskirts when the city and its surrounding suburbs have TONS of brownfield redevelopment opportunities? What's good for the goose isn't always what's good for the gander. How many people who are destroying open space right now in Jackson Township and Adams Township in Butler County are ex-Cranberry Township residents seeking "more elbow room" and "more open space"? My bet? A LOT. Sure, it all seems like prosperity right now for Cranberry Township, but then what happens when every available developable parcel in the township is built-out? The population will begin to level off and then decline, which means, just as in the CITY, tax rates will be raised to squeeze more money out of residents who remain to upkeep adequate services. In turn, those higher tax rates will send more people packing out of Cranberry Township and into Adams Township, Jackson Township, and, yes, even into Forward Township if this isn't managed well.

Fitting more people in less square mileage is "smart growth". I don't see much of that occurring in Pittsburgh's exurbs. All I see is selfish and ecologically-irresponsible sprawl occurring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 08:37 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

It would be different if this entire region was growing like gangbusters. It's not. If 1,000 new residents come to the area each year, why would we want 100 of them to settle in the city limits, 300 to settle in inner suburban areas, and 600 to tear down trees to settle in new housing in the outskirts when the city and its surrounding suburbs have TONS of brownfield redevelopment opportunities?

There are a lot of jobs in the outlying areas of the Pittsburgh region, always have been BTW.

A lot of people want to be close if they are working at the Westinghouse or Mylan headquarters, or thousands of other employers.

Not everyone really cares to live in very densely populated areas, not everyone wants to have to petition to city hall on Grant St. to get municipal services completed.

Its like the American Dream, as dreamed by large number of Americans, to form middle class communities and have a little bit of space.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:58 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
There are a lot of jobs in the outlying areas of the Pittsburgh region, always have been BTW.

A lot of people want to be close if they are working at the Westinghouse or Mylan headquarters, or thousands of other employers.

Not everyone really cares to live in very densely populated areas, not everyone wants to have to petition to city hall on Grant St. to get municipal services completed.

Its like the American Dream, as dreamed by large number of Americans, to form middle class communities and have a little bit of space.
Back in the day, people had to live in the densely populated areas because they had no choice, or rather it wasn’t a viable option to trek out to the sticks to live, unless you had a farm. Then Brookline type areas grew because people wanted their little bit of space and finally had the option of moving there (streetcars), then Bethel Park when Brookline wasn’t enough space and they had better options (autos), and then Peters to have even more. People are not going to move back to the cities in huge numbers, until the option of living out there is taken away from them. At this point, people are content (and complete alright in being so) as long as they can afford the gas and sacrifice the time for the commutes (for those who don’t work near where they live).

And by taken away from them I do not mean by someone else saying they can’t, but rather by fuel prices rising to the point where it no longer tolerable, or by some other factor that will make the costs more than the benefits or the value of their space. Urban dwellers who rant about sprawl are not going to make people change their mind. Honestly, I am rarely impacted by sprawl, unless I go choose to participate in it. I live and work in the city and as long as I shop and entertain myself in the city, like I usually do, the Murrysvilles, Cranberrys, and Robinsons of the world really don’t bother me that much.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:12 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
At this point, people are content (and complete alright in being so) as long as they can afford the gas and sacrifice the time for the commutes (for those who don’t work near where they live).
It's easier for them to afford because freeways and highways are heavily subsidized by the feds.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:28 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:

Not everyone really cares to live in very densely populated areas, ...

Exactly!

I grew up in Shadyside, lived for a while in one of the older inner-ring suburbs, and (not bragging; I couldn't have afforded to pay somebody to build it, I did it all myself), my above ground pool and the deck around it are larger than the backyards in either of those places. I LIKE my space.

(And this isn't a new house or neighborhood either. It dates to the 50s.)

(Also, today I couldn't afford to buy the house in Shadyside where I grew up either. After it was gutted and rehabbed, it sold for more than twice what we paid for this property.)

Quote:
At what point do we draw an urban growth boundary around a certain area and say
"that's far enough" to conserve precious open space for our posterity?
We don't. To some of us, having space that's our own is precious enough to make the trade-offs worth it. The much demonized "sprawl" is nothing more than a reflection of people having the freedom to live where they want to, within their means to do so.

Now, my posterity and I are going outside to rake all of our leaves into a big pile and dive into it...

Old 10-26-2014, 01:26 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
SSR

So urbanites should dictate public policy to the 'burbs?

Old 10-26-2014, 01:27 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
SSR

So urbanites should dictate public policy to the 'burbs?
So suburbanites should dictate public policy to the city?

Old 10-26-2014, 02:28 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
So suburbanites should dictate public policy to the city?
Not at all, never said that. The City can flounder on its own.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:13 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Neither can exist on their own anymore.

Suburbs rely on their people working in the city, to pay their wage tax while the city relies on suburbanites working in the city to give them $52 a year. However, a very large amount of suburbanites to dine, shop, and entertain themselves in the city each year, and that definitely does have an impact on the city. I am not sure of the outflow of city dwellers to the suburbs for the same reason, but I am sure there is an impact there also.

Luckily this isn’t East/West Germany and we can travel back and forth between the 120+ municipalities to work and shop...

Old 10-26-2014, 03:22 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
while the city relies on suburbanites working in the city to give them $52 a year
We'll try not to blow it all on one street lamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh