Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:04 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,726,444 times

Advertisements

Yeah, home ownership in Pittsburgh is still damn cheap if you aren't looking in any of the top neighborhoods (aka the ones that are always recommended on this forum). For example, I could buy 4 houses in my old neighborhood for the price I'd pay for 1 I was looking at in Allegheny West. But then again, the amount of money you'll spend in property taxes and getting the place out of the 70's is no joke either. It's kind a of pick your poison type of deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 11:51 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,148,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
***Sorry just noticed this was a thread about renting, so yeah you are going to pay through the nose to live near Childrens***
Oh yeah, I should also note that I rented a two-bedroom house on Post St., literally three doors down from the (then-under-construction) Children's Hospital, for $575/mo in 2007 . By 2009, when my wife and I left, our rent had already been jacked up to something like $800.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:46 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,899,453 times
Here's an idea to promote growth. What about limiting the rent gouging in Allegheny County? Why not set the rates for rent?

To chime in on what others have said, I looked at a duplex that was $700 about 3 years ago. Today, that same duplex would be almost twice as much.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:54 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,275,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Here's an idea to promote growth. What about limiting the rent gouging in Allegheny County? Why not set the rates for rent?

To chime in on what others have said, I looked at a duplex that was $700 about 3 years ago. Today, that same duplex would be almost twice as much.

That wouldn't promote growth in the number of rental units, and would push a lot of current apartment complexes to go coop or condo, requiring tenants to buy the place if they wanted to stay.

There really isn't a problem with finding housing, just finding it in the haute neighborhoods that everyone wants to live in.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:55 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,612,124 times
Quote:

$700 a month would pay the note and taxes on something costing about $100,000. You can't build half a duplex for $100,000. If supply is going to increase (which is required for growth), the rent on housing has to be above the cost of new construction.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:58 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,403,613 times
I looked at a duplex in lawerenceville years ago that was 30 grand. There were drug dealers and hookers in front of the place. I am an idiot for not buying it

if rents are capped there is no reason to develop an area

Old 10-27-2014, 04:20 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,463,405 times
Quote:
this is absolutely irrational. there is no need to add red tape to a system that is actually doing pretty well. there is no lack of affordable housing in this city.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,163,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
there is no lack of affordable housing in this city.
How much do you think people who earn 30k can afford for rent? What about people making 20k?

Old 10-27-2014, 04:36 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,899,453 times
First of all, this city has very little few new complexes. That is not the issue. The majority of older units have skyrocketed in price. I have not looked at one unit that was under 50+ years old since I moved to this city. Most of these units have very few, if any, amenities. Yet, I am paying what people in other cities pay for the works.

This price gouging doesn't merit what is occurring in the city, which as one poster said, has stayed relatively the same. A mortgage isn't going to change over a couple years. The landlords are making a killing at our expense.

Other cities have rent control. Why can't we? It will keep the young coming to the city.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:28 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,612,124 times
Quote:
First of all, this city has very little few new complexes. That is not the issue. The majority of older units have skyrocketed in price. I have not looked at one unit that was under 50+ years old since I moved to this city. Most of these units have very few, if any, amenities. Yet, I am paying what people in other cities pay for the works.
If you can figure out a way to build additional 50 year old houses, then the price of 50 year old houses will be independent of the price of new houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh