Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 05:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
What borough is this so I can never live there?
Why? Do you want to live where that level of noise is acceptable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 05:52 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You need to check the local ordinanaces where you live. These are some of the ordinances in one area borough.

Anti-Noise:
There is a 24 hour a day restriction on any noise that can be heard 50 feet from its origination.

Disorderly Conduct:
Actions such as unseemly noise, indecent language, public urination, damaging public or private property, and prowling may carry fines. Serious cases can be prosecuted as misdemeanors.
It is true. I once saw a gentleman get a citation for yelling out the backseat window of his automobile. The poor bloke was simply requesting some Grey Poupon from a neighboring car, but alas, he had to raise his voice to be heard over the din of his Roll's motor.

I jest.

I doubt it is put into practice very often. A sneeze can be heard from fifty feet away; however, I doubt anyone has been charged with public sneezing. Although, it is disconcerting that one could be citied for something as innocuous as a sneeze, which is the point sparrow was making.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:07 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why? Do you want to live where that level of noise is acceptable?
Fifty feet is no distance at all. It'd the width of my yard, and my yard isn't particularly wide. That rule, as villageidiot has quoted it, effectively makes lawn mowers illegal, or any kind of kids playing outside as kids do, or people laughing loudly in their yard, or someone having an outdoor BBQ with a lot of friends in the middle of the day. I don't want to live anywhere where people are that big of busybodies.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:37 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
What borough is this so I can never live there?
Indiana Borough, home of Indiana University of PA

These ordinances and numerous other ones are directed at controlling IUP students who have a tendency to have large parties and some even drink a beer or two.

STUDENT ORDINANCES

Old 11-10-2014, 07:44 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Indiana Borough, home of Indiana University of PA

These ordinances and numerous other ones are directed at controlling IUP students who have a tendency to have large parties and some even drink a beer or two.

STUDENT ORDINANCES
That clause about inspecting non owner-occupied property can't be legal, can it? The 4th Amendment is still a thing.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 964 times
I live in Pittsburgh and this is where I found the Pittsburgh code, particularly the section on noise control (§601.04):

Moderator cut: link removed, please wait with links until you have at least 10 posts

I am generally rather tolerant and non-confrontational, but some people ... you just can't talk to them. I tried to go to my neighbors and tell them politely that their regular bass fests past 10pm made my windows shake, my kids wake up crying, and me physically sick and mentally very upset ... to no avail. They were very rude and instead of listening like rational people would, they preferred to be extremely rude, they even threaten me.

I hate calling the police on people. In this case, however, it was really the only thing I could do. If they don't need to sleep during the night, fine. But I do and so do my kids.

At any rate, I ended up calling 911 on them... four times (on pretty much four consecutive days). The police seem to take this seriously, for they showed up every time and argued with the neighbors (who were incredibly rude even to the police officers) until finally, I overheard one officer get angry and yell the word 'citation.' This was the last time I have ever heard that terrible music past 10pm. Sucks that this is what it took, but I am really glad that if I occasionally stay up in the night, it is now I who gets to choose to do so.

Last edited by Yac; 05-20-2015 at 05:42 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 09:07 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That clause about inspecting non owner-occupied property can't be legal, can it? The 4th Amendment is still a thing.
It is a zoning law, so it is legal. I have a rental property at IUP and we can only have 2 grad students there because any more than that in this zone would be a zoning violation and we could be fined.

Just like how they did that in South Oakland recently.

There is a different area where there are group houses with lots of undergrads who have loud ongoing parties, but they don't have elderly homeowners who live across the street.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:16 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
That was six months ago. But I'm not doubting that they can have occupancy requirements. I'm doubting the right to inspect, if that means inspect inside a unit without the tenant's permission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh