Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:23 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,435 times

Advertisements

The Jewish/Palestinian Conflict and the tensions over it is how this death threat originated in the first place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 01:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
The Jewish/Palestinian Conflict and the tensions over it is how this death threat originated in the first place...
Simply tie your comments into the topics of the restaurant, the Post Gazette, Pittsburgh, etc.. "Bla bla bla is the reason the Post Gazette instigated this whole mess." "Bla bla bla is the reason the restaurant received the death threat." Even if you have to sound like a broken record, always tie your thoughts into the topic even when responding to a specific non-topic part of someone else's post. Give it a try. Yac won't get mad if you put some thought into it.

I'll start.

It's interesting that the restaurant has featured menus and testimonials from many countries in conflict with the United States, and this is the first time the Post Gazette has published a biased article and the restaurant has received death thread. What's the Post Gazette's agenda? Did the newspaper even think of the ramifications of misrepresenting the restaurant for this particular conflict? Why didn't any journalist put other countries in conflict in such a negative light previously? Is pro-Israel the newspaper's reflex reaction without serious contemplation about what they're publishing?

Old 11-16-2014, 07:26 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
'CoExistence Kitchen' to oppose controversial eatery | TribLIVE

Looks like Jewish students from CMU and Pitt are starting their own restaurant that will have a pro-Israel message and will oppose the Conflict Kitchen. I suppose it's great to encourage increased political dialogue and discourse among our youth, but the Jewish population in the East End with their haughty "If you don't stand united with Israel, then you're an anti-Semite..." mantra is really starting to grate on my nerves. I personally do NOT "support" Israel. I also don't "support" Palestine. I believe both sides are acting like bullies, and NEITHER side should be lauded for that. Why does that make me an anti-Semite?

Old 11-16-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Looks like Jewish students from CMU and Pitt are starting their own restaurant that will have a pro-Israel message and will oppose the Conflict Kitchen. I suppose it's great to encourage increased political dialogue and discourse among our youth, but the Jewish population in the East End with their haughty "If you don't stand united with Israel, then you're an Anti-Semite..." mantra is really starting to grate on my nerves. I personally do NOT "support" Israel. I also don't "support" Palestine. I believe both sides are acting like bullies, and NEITHER side should be lauded for that.
That's downright silly since Conflict Kitchen doesn't regularly feature menus from countries that oppose Israel. It's a shame they don't understand the point of Conflict Kitchen is to bring awareness where it isn't common. Not many Americans have much knowledge about Cuba, Venezuela, Palestine, etc. Since pro-Israel messages are continually in the news and media, I don't see a purpose in a restaurant with the single purpose of promoting pro-Israel message.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:49 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:

Looks like Jewish students from CMU and Pitt are starting their own restaurant that will have a pro-Israel message and will oppose the Conflict Kitchen. I suppose it's great to encourage increased political dialogue and discourse among our youth, but the Jewish population in the East End with their haughty "If you don't stand united with Israel, then you're an anti-Semite..." mantra is really starting to grate on my nerves. I personally do NOT "support" Israel. I also don't "support" Palestine. I believe both sides are acting like bullies, and NEITHER side should be lauded for that. Why does that make me an anti-Semite?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's downright silly since Conflict Kitchen doesn't regularly feature menus from countries that oppose Israel. It's a shame they don't understand the point of Conflict Kitchen is to bring awareness where it isn't common. Not many Americans have much knowledge about Cuba, Venezuela, Palestine, etc. Since pro-Israel messages are continually in the news and media, I don't see a purpose in a restaurant with the single purpose of promoting pro-Israel message.
Aaargh. If they have good deli, politics schmolitics.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:07 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself. They don't understand, but it is easy to be misguided by the hyped up media for profit and focus on one thing. On the other hand, maybe they want to open a place up and see if they can use the dumb media to make money. At least they are just opening up a restaurant and not wanting to bulldoze the Conflict Kitchen, to make them relocate and starve them. Hopefully the Conflict Kitchen doesn't need olives. That could be a problem.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:18 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:

Of course it doesn't make you an antisemitic.

There are two sides to every question, but sometimes advocates look to really demonize those who take the opposite side of the issue. It is by no means limited to the palestinian/Jewish conflict in the middle east.

Showing respect for the positions of advocates, if you are neutral or even support the other side, is a key to getting along with others. Calling our Jewish friends "haughty", even when it is accurate from your point of view, isn't good public relations. Remember that many folks in the Jewish community have friends and relatives in the state of Israel that are under fire, and many collections of money and goods have been sent from the Jewish Community in the US over there for many decades. They have a lot of skin in the game and have concern for those that are over there and the zionist cause.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:20 AM

9,332 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Actually, it does. That's just the way the geopolitical cookie crumbles, though. It definitely isn't part of any broad, anti-Israel agenda. The anti-Semitism accusations/death threats are downright awful, but I don't think a counterweight restaurant is an awful thing, though it will basically boil down to propaganda vs. propaganda.

And although the PGH Jewish community is definitely overreacting in this case, most aren't "haughtily" trying to shut down a conversation. Anti-Israel =/= anti-Semitism, but an uncomfortable proportion of anti-Israel activists (especially in PGH) employ anti-Semitic imagery and rhetoric, and that puts a lot of people on the defensive. In all fairness, all too many pro-Israel activists employ anti-Arab/Muslim imagery and rhetoric as well. Both sides do need to grow the frick up. It's part of the reason that I'm no longer actively involved.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:38 AM

9,332 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
I missed this before, but Israeli, Israeli, Israeli.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Actually, it does. That's just the way the geopolitical cookie crumbles, though.
No. I meant it doesn't ONLY feature menus from countries in conflict with Israel. It features menus from countries in conflict with the US. If a country isn't in direct conflict with Israel and opposes Israel because its in conflict with the US, that's entirely different. The Cuba/US conflict has nothing to do with Israel. The Venezuela/US conflict too. If those countries oppose Israel, it's simply because they oppose the US and they'll oppose anything the US supports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh