Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 01:18 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times

Advertisements

With the current portrayal in America, and perhaps the world, of what is beautiful and attractive....healthy and strong does not seem to be what the majority of people are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 01:20 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Think and notice whatever you want. Do you have to share all of your thoughts? Do you also make it a point to let people know when you don't find them attractive--you know, so they can step up their game?
And this might be a big newsflash, but some women dress to be attractive for themselves. Or for other women, frankly. My husband was just pointing out that I spend more time getting ready for a night out with my female friends than I do when he and I go out! So honestly, compliments from random men is not the be-all end-all for many women.
O.K. I get it. Should I stop opening up doors for women? She I stop allowing women to go ahead of me on the elevator? Should I not help the lady with the stroller board the bus? Im getting mixed messages.

The sad reality is that most unattractive people (male or female) do go unnoticed often times. I may be guilty of this but it is not intentional.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:22 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Should I not help the lady with the stroller board the bus? Im getting mixed messages.
You should throw the stroller off the bus and stomp on it while blaming society for all your social problems.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
O.K. I get it. Should I stop opening up doors for women? She I stop allowing women to go ahead of me on the elevator? Should I not help the lady with the stroller board the bus? Im getting mixed messages.

The sad reality is that most unattractive people (male or female) do go unnoticed often times. I may be guilty of this but it is not intentional.

Holding doors, helping people with clumsy objects onto a bus, letting people board an elevator first...all things I do for people, no matter what thier gender.

That is just called being nice....

Old 11-10-2014, 01:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Yes, you are wrong. I'm not disputing that you know your own mind. I'm disputing that you know why women are dressing and smelling the way they do.
wpipkins2 isn't saying why they are dressing that way. He is saying he notices when women look good, and he's betting women notice when men look good. He's absolutely right. Women notice. Heck, we notice when women look nice too. I'm not sure if men do. Most men I know claim they have no opinion or didn't notice if another man is good looking. I think they do but they're feeling homophobic if they admit it.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:39 PM

387 posts, read 408,592 times
Interesting responses... I'm a 38/biracial male (Blake Griffin lite w/dark hair). Here's what i've noticed. Since i'm tall women will at times go out of their way to ask me how tall I am/did you play basketball? Usually i'll give them a simle and chuckle and say when I was a young man. I'll usually get a "oh, you're still young" then i'll recieve a secondary compliment on my deep voice. One big thing i've always noticed is the differences on how black/white women and the age brackets on how they recieve compliments. Again i'm speaking from my own personal experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
wpipkins2 isn't saying why they are dressing that way. He is saying he notices when women look good, and he's betting women notice when men look good. He's absolutely right. Women notice. Heck, we notice when women look nice too. I'm not sure if men do. Most men I know claim they have no opinion or didn't notice if another man is good looking. I think they do but they're feeling homophobic if they admit it.

I agree 100% with this....the noticing part, and that is completely normal and fine. The issue is when things begin to happen after the noticing part.....

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
wpipkins2 isn't saying why they are dressing that way.
Look at #123. He is saying why women are dressing the way they do.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:10 PM

281 posts, read 340,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I agree with you to be honest, but that is just MY/YOUR thoughts on the matter. I don't feel I should tell everyone in the world that you cannot say, "you look nice today" to someone in some checkout line or whatever. I don't feel it is my place to tell everyone how to act. Can you tell a coworker they look nice? Seems you can't. I hear others say these things. I personally don't care, but I don't like bullying some other class as they have to assimilate into some type of person. I understand some women not wanting to hear it from others. I think there is a double standard however. I saw no one in that video dressed in a $1000 suit looking like they just rolled out of a movie set. Where are they?

h_curtis, just give up. You don't know what it's like to deal with nonsense as a woman.

also, did you change your name in honor of gg allin?

Old 11-10-2014, 02:35 PM

24 posts, read 33,871 times
Quote:
Don't smile if you don't want to smile for goodness sake. Why the hell would you do something that you don't want to do? You're describing the perfect victim for someone to target because assailants can smell fear and insecurity from a mile away. The situation you described wouldn't send the average female into a panic attack. You've got some serious issues with feeling easily intimidated. Take some self defense classes to become more confident about your ability to assess situations appropriately and your ability to protect yourself.
Let's just say the times I don't smile have ended worse for me than the times I swallow my pride and smile. And trust me, I am not easily intimidated- just the normal amount uncomfortable in uncomfortable situations. Self defense classes are not needed. I could hold my own against most men; two or three men at once is another issue. I was simply using that one example of the thousands to let you in on a "day in the life", which is what the woman in the New York video was doing. I just want you to imagine what that would be like to get that unwanted and unwelcomed attention constantly. I just don't think it is too much to ask that men be kind and stop doing something that a majority of women have asked them to stop doing. But yeah, I'm the one with "issues." Thanks for pointing that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh