Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:50 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Ummm, I didn't say it was accepted, however, rather than you assuming, it's best to be specific.
I'm confused. Are you going to argue that racism, sexism, and homophobia weren't accepted in the 50s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 07:55 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I'm confused. Are you going to argue that racism, sexism, and homophobia weren't accepted in the 50s?
By everyone? No.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:56 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
By everyone? No.
By enough people to significantly and negatively and continually impact on the lives of women and members of minority groups?

Old 11-12-2014, 07:58 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
By enough people to significantly and negatively and continually impact on the lives of women and members of minority groups?
Wow, friendly compliments to discussion of the 50's. As I said, it's a sensitive world and growing by the day.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:06 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
The thread started off with a topic of flirting, evolved into catcalling, then devolved into an example of a visitor asking where someone got their haircut, and now has become about the sensitivity and the ills of American society in the 1950s and 60s.

A lot of people on here like to poke the hornet’s nest by using a broad stroke and then pick an extreme example such as “all women” or “saying hello.”

It really is quite simple. If chatting up a stranger in an elevator, don’t say anything you wouldn’t feel comfortable saying to your grandmother. I really think that some people are so socially backwards with the opposite sex that they don’t know how to behave around them other than acting like a horny teenager.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:11 AM

352 posts, read 550,959 times
Default Seattle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I would probably agree with this if I had not lived in Seattle, which I liked as much as SCR liked NOVA. It did me wonders to get out of that hellhole, and I have not complained since about anywhere I've lived.
Jay, I used to live in Portland and visited Seattle alot. Seemed like a great place (I didn't really mind the months of overcast.. the otherworldly natural beauty, perfect summers, loads of tech companies made up for it for me). Why did you think it was a hellhole?

Last edited by VASpaceMan; 11-13-2014 at 08:25 AM..

Old 11-13-2014, 08:54 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
Jay, I used to live in Portland and visited Seattle alot. Seemed like a great place (I didn't really mind the months of overcast.. the otherworldly natural beauty, perfect summers, loads of tech companies made up for it for me). Why did you think it was a hellhole?
Put simply, the people. They hated newcomers. A columnist for one of the newspapers even had a fund to pay for people to move back to wherever they had come from. I had never, and have not since, lived in such a hateful environment.

I moved to Portland next, btw. Loved it.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Put simply, the people. They hated newcomers. A columnist for one of the newspapers even had a fund to pay for people to move back to wherever they had come from. I had never, and have not since, lived in such a hateful environment.
When we were on vacation, quite a few Seattle residents GLARED at me when they saw the California license plate on my rental. I wondered if their reaction would have been different if I had a Pennsylvania license plate.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:05 AM

Default Sea

Quote:

I moved to Portland next, btw. Loved it.
Ah.. the Seattle freeze thing, right?

Old 11-13-2014, 09:09 AM

Default PNW and Californians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When we were on vacation, quite a few Seattle residents GLARED at me when they saw the California license plate on my rental. I wondered if their reaction would have been different if I had a Pennsylvania license plate.
Yah.. saw this a bit in Oregon too. Pacific Northwesterners resent the migration of Californians. They see it as an invasion of their little slice of paradise. Their view is that they have the positives of the West Coast (beautiful geography, etc) without the negatives. The migrating Californians are majorly increasing cost of living, bringing overpopulation and crime with them. It's similar to what you see on the East Coast.. resentment in some southern/sunbelt cities about New Yorkers, etc.. just in the opposite direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh