Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:00 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,255,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Darlene is straight-up crazy.
Not at all.

Ms. Harris is just following the long tradition of Pittsburgh Council in getting passionate about her beliefs.

Mr. DePasquale and Ms. Madoff had wild arguments in council for years over many issues back in the day, wanting to meet under Kaufmann's clock and everything else.

The BBI might not be that exciting an issue to you, but its a big reorganization that will change the lives of the inspectors and others at City Hall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:08 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Darlene is straight-up crazy.
She just needs a hug.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:53 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,051,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Darlene Harris does strike me as contrarian when I read the newspaper, however she's pretty visible and accessible in the community. I think she gets re-elected because she makes a good impression on her constitutents. If you call her office for something there's always a fast response and if it's something relatively minor (say graffiti or potholes) the issue is resolved within a couple days max, much faster than 311.

I second the bolded portion ^^^^

Is "contrarian" a word that fits her? She is there to debate - politics, LIFE in general, is about compromise.

I don't sit in on sessions, however. But as far as I know, Harris isn't exactly a rebel rouser for the sake of being a thorn in anyone's side.

Burgess - on a personal level, I do like him, having strangely fallen into conversations w/ him somehow over the years. I don't know enough about him politically.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:48 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Not at all.

Ms. Harris is just following the long tradition of Pittsburgh Council in getting passionate about her beliefs.
I think she needs to step down. Goodness, talk about classless and she really sounds uneducated to say the least. We really need to progress beyond such people that probably got their job because they knew the right person. What else is new?

Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The BBI might not be that exciting an issue to you, but its a big reorganization that will change the lives of the inspectors and others at City Hall.
It's an extremely exciting issue to me considering I have spent the last four months renovating a building. So yes, I am beyond glad that these changes are finally happening. And the BBI inspectors that I asked about it are as well. To quote them: "change has to happen at some point".

Darlene is clearly upset that she has lost her grip on the city's power structure –*hence all the lashing out she's been doing about ridiculous things since Peduto and team came into office. These guys are legitimately focused on streamlining our government. She is having a hard time with change.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:22 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Is "contrarian" a word that fits her?
I really don't know as I don't sit on on council sessions either. I just meant that she is definitely portrayed that way in the media, and I think a lot of people perceive her that way. I've met her and heard her speak a few times and she is 100% a champion for the North Side, which makes sense since that's her district but she takes it to another level; it can come across as being at the expense of other parts of the city. The rest of the city is in the limelight so often that I think a lot of North Siders appreciate her style.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:37 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,011 times
She is really having a blast this week....

Pittsburgh City Council president fines councilwoman $20 for misbehaving | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 12-05-2014, 09:03 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
Quote:
Mrs. Harris also took Mr. Kraus’ gavel away, banged it a few times and threw it back at him
You can't make this stuff up!

Old 12-06-2014, 04:28 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,051,508 times
To think how entertaining Ravenstahl COULD HAVE been! No thank you, I'm not hungry - had some at home. sheesh!

Old 12-06-2014, 06:07 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,255,658 times
Quote:

Darlene is clearly upset that she has lost her grip on the city's power structure –*hence all the lashing out she's been doing about ridiculous things since Peduto and team came into office. These guys are legitimately focused on streamlining our government. She is having a hard time with change.
We'll see how well the changes work out, and so will Ms. Harris.

Hopefully, this works out fine.

But throwing a gavel at someone is hardly that extreme. If Harris would have led her supporters on a protest against it, and blocked I-376 over the BBI issue, that would have been over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh