Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 06:17 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times

Advertisements

I am pretty sure if anyone acted in the manner in which she did during a meeting at work, they would have seriously risked losing their job.

Anyone who says what she has been up to is more about passion than professionalism, needs to realize that part of being a public official and a professional is to learn how to control your behavior and emotions. She is well on her way of becoming the entertainment on city council, and that is a disservice to her constituents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 06:43 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I am pretty sure if anyone acted in the manner in which she did during a meeting at work, they would have seriously risked losing their job.

Anyone who says what she has been up to is more about passion than professionalism, needs to realize that part of being a public official and a professional is to learn how to control your behavior and emotions. She is well on her way of becoming the entertainment on city council, and that is a disservice to her constituents.
Well, we'll see if the Democratic Party nominates her for reelection this coming spring. If they do, she's will win reelection.

There have been lively discussions and arguments on City Council in the past, this is nothing new and not particularly counterproductive. They aren't required to all agree on everything.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:02 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Well, we'll see if the Democratic Party nominates her for reelection this coming spring. If they do, she's will win reelection.

There have been lively discussions and arguments on City Council in the past, this is nothing new and not particularly counterproductive. They aren't required to all agree on everything.

Agreed, I don’t think they need to always agree or even get along, but they could probably refrain from throwing things at each other.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:51 PM

480 posts, read 611,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
In my opinion Councilwoman Harris and Councilman Burgess are the two worst and most obstructionist members of City Council as they do nothing but grandstand, dramatize, and espouse negative ideologies, especially if their views can be construed as being contrary to the mayor's vision. They come off as a pair of uneducated social regressives with no clue about proper city governance. I don't know how the two of them are continuously re-elected.
Those 2 are the worst!

Old 12-09-2014, 06:59 PM

480 posts, read 611,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
It's an extremely exciting issue to me considering I have spent the last four months renovating a building. So yes, I am beyond glad that these changes are finally happening. And the BBI inspectors that I asked about it are as well. To quote them: "change has to happen at some point".

Darlene is clearly upset that she has lost her grip on the city's power structure –*hence all the lashing out she's been doing about ridiculous things since Peduto and team came into office. These guys are legitimately focused on streamlining our government. She is having a hard time with change.
You nailed it

Old 12-09-2014, 08:10 PM

63 posts, read 76,818 times
Other cities add to public safety while Pittsburgh seems to cut public safety. I was a peduto supporter and an advocate for change, but there is a difference between change and extreme stupidity. Why does this have to become its own department? Why can't it stay under public safety and change? Why pay a public safety director 125,000 a year and a deputy safety director 109,000 a year if you aren't going to allow them to manage the bbi chief? Who is going to manage the bbi chief, mayor peduto ? It just smells fishy to me. So animal control is public safety, but building inspection is not? Seems like a tremendous waste of time and money for something that just needs updated technology and tweaking. Maybe there is a lot of truth to the safety director and building chief not seeing eye to eye. Sadly, if that is the reason for this break then the taxpayers lose.

When you mess with public safety you better know what you are doing. Darlene may have flown off the handle, but her voice should be heard like everybody else. City council is supposed to question and be checks and balances against the mayors office. What's scary is how quick and easy this was pushed through. A council of majority of "yes" men will only backfire.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:24 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburghpride83 View Post
Other cities add to public safety while Pittsburgh seems to cut public safety.
Which cities have added building inspection to public safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburghpride83 View Post
So animal control is public safety, but building inspection is not? Seems like a tremendous waste of time and money for something that just needs updated technology and tweaking.
Because BBI involves a very different set of skills and a different approach to "customers." And I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the reason the technology in BBI got so out of date is that it was so far removed from the core tasks of Public Safety that nobody gave it any resources.

Last edited by Moby Hick; 12-09-2014 at 08:58 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 08:46 PM

63 posts, read 76,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post

Because BBI involves a very different set of kills and a different approach to "customers." And I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the reason the technology in BBI got so out of date is that it was so far removed from the core tasks of Public Safety that nobody gave it any resources.
Philadelphia just moved it back under public safety. Hey, wait a min....Wasn't the new bbi chief the former exec director of the soon to be defunct philly licenses and inspection dept? Im telling you the whole bldg inspection move is fishy. Maybe politics forced mayor peduto to take this lady off of phillys hands.

Nutter switches L&I from commerce to safety

Old 12-10-2014, 06:17 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
Quote:

Because BBI involves a very different set of kills and a different approach
to "customers."
Quote:

Last edited by Moby Hick; Yesterday at 11:58
PM..
Freudian slip?

But more seriously, I have to agree with the earlier posts. It is an entirely different function and set of skills than Police, Fire, and EMS. (Which are, granted, mainly different skill sets from each other.)

As stated, Fire, and EMS are emergency responders, as are the Police much of the time. Building Inspection is not.

If "public safety" is the determining criterion, logically, PWSA and Public Works should be under the same umbrella. They're also concerned with public safety, as clean water, properly disposed of sewage and garbage, and well salted, and pothole free streets are also critical to the "safety" of the public.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:36 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Freudian slip?
Heh. Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
If "public safety" is the determining criterion, logically, PWSA and Public Works should be under the same umbrella. They're also concerned with public safety, as clean water, properly disposed of sewage and garbage, and well salted, and pothole free streets are also critical to the "safety" of the public.
In fact, public sewage and clean water have probably saved more lives than every other local government activity combined.

Last edited by Moby Hick; 12-10-2014 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: Messed up quote tag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh