Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:14 PM

38 posts, read 44,124 times

Advertisements

I am a 26yr old working male, Single moving to Pittsburgh for work. The address of office is 2403 Sidney street. I am looking for a nice studio/1 bed room apartment near the area in the range of 500-600. Since I am very new to Pittsbutgh, I would be happy if anyone can suggest a secure/good place to live near that area. My only condition would be good area to park my car and short commute( may be 30 mins commute with frequency every 30 mins approx..I prefer public transport to driving especially in winter ) in public transport to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 08:30 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Hello, and welcome in advance to Pittsburgh!

I'm very familiar with 2403 Sidney Street, as one of our corporate clients has its offices on the second floor, and I'm there roughly monthly. That is considered the city's "South Side", and, more specifically, the "South Side Flats" neighborhood.

Pittsburgh is no longer that cheap that you'll be able to find a nice $500/month-$600/month 1-BR in the heart of town. We're "trendy" now, and prices are skyrocketing, unless you want to live in a less desirable area. My recommendation would be for you to find a roommate via CraigsList and snag a 2-BR apartment near the South Side so you could just walk to work AND have an instant friend in a new city. You should be able to find a 2-BR in the South Side Slopes (hillside above the neighborhood you'll be working in) for $1,200/month. The neighborhood itself has good public transportation; has a ton of restaurants, shopping, and nightlife; and is a mecca for 20-somethings. The only criteria it misses for you would be ample parking, as it is among the worst neighborhoods in the city for parking a personal vehicle. Some of the units in the South Side Slopes may have off-street parking, though.

The major complexes in the South Side are all astronomically beyond your budget. For example, The Brix at 26 Lofts start at $1,540/month for a 1-BR. The Flats at South Side Works start at $1,300/month for a 1-BR.

This property management company has some 2-BR rentals in the heart of the South Side that are around $1,200/month-$1,300/month. Some of the floor plans look like they are two-story, too, with one bedroom on each level for added privacy.

Live South Side-Pittsburgh | Property Floorplans

Old 11-17-2014, 08:42 PM

38 posts, read 44,124 times
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I understand the rates of the apartments are not that cheap. I do not have much things with me and I am fine with small studio apartments too. I like the idea of the 2 bedrooms with one in each story. I would look into it. Generally I would prefer my own private life and would prefer to live myself. I am fine with 30 mins commute if it means I am getting decent apartments. Can you please mention some of the area names that are good in the "South side" so that it will be easy to search exactly in craigslist or any other place ? Thank you.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur2cdanger View Post
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I understand the rates of the apartments are not that cheap. I do not have much things with me and I am fine with small studio apartments too. I like the idea of the 2 bedrooms with one in each story. I would look into it. Generally I would prefer my own private life and would prefer to live myself. I am fine with 30 mins commute if it means I am getting decent apartments. Can you please mention some of the area names that are good in the "South side" so that it will be easy to search exactly in craigslist or any other place ? Thank you.
Here are some properties I found that may suit your needs:

$540/month:

Apt on Montclair st

^ This one is located in Greenfield. The neighborhood isn't exciting, but it's safe, quiet, and has public transportation available. A full-service grocery store is right by the apartment. It would be possible to ride a bike from this apartment to your office.

$575/month:

Spacious 1 BR plus Den Apt - Avail Immeditately

^ This one is located at the outermost edge of the South Side Slopes (very top of the hill). It would be a very long walk to work. There is also bus service nearby on South 18th Street that can take you up/down the hill. Nearby neighborhoods of Arlington and Allentown are rough around the edges but aren't dangerous. You'd find yourself doing most of your shopping, dining, and recreation nearer to your workplace and just heading up the hill to sleep/relax.

$600/month:

First Floor One Bedroom/Efficiency Apartment with Central Air

^ This one would be a 5-minute walk to work and seems to be in decent condition. I like this one because it has central air conditioning AND a washer/dryer (two RARE things in cheap apartments in this town)! I'd pounce on this one. It seems under-priced.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:33 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

$575/month:

Spacious 1 BR plus Den Apt - Avail Immeditately

^ This one is located at the outermost edge of the South Side Slopes (very top of the hill). It would be a very long walk to work. There is also bus service nearby on South 18th Street that can take you up/down the hill. Nearby neighborhoods of Arlington and Allentown are rough around the edges but aren't dangerous. You'd find yourself doing most of your shopping, dining, and recreation nearer to your workplace and just heading up the hill to sleep/relax.
Steel, did you even look at the photos? The stove is blocking half of the kitchen sink.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:02 PM

912 posts, read 1,733,253 times
You can still occasionally find small one-bedroom places in the South Side Flats for $600. I paid $675 for a one-bedroom there in 2012. The South Side Slopes is the next most logical neighborhood to look in. It's significantly cheaper than the Flats, but it also lacks all the amenities the Flats offers. I hate it up there - the roads are confusing, the houses are ugly, the hills are a pain to deal with, but it is a cheap option more in your price range.

Another option would be looking for something on the 54 or 75 bus routes. I recommend PadMapper to look for apartments.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Steel, did you even look at the photos? The stove is blocking half of the kitchen sink.
And they call it spacious! That's funny!

What's up with that window in the last picture? It's not square. It's not round. It's a blob window.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Brentwood Borough might be a good place for the OP to look. The area is pretty safe, especially if the OP is a white guy

The Carrick bus runs often, although its hardly an express run. It a breeze to drive to the South Side Works area down Becks Run from there.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
...and? Our apartment is a dump too, but it's only $700/month and is within walking distance of Downtown. You're not going to find any place that's "nice" in the city for $600/month. That boat sailed years ago. The city has lost its edge on affordability (no, I'm not going to go the route of saying "...but, but, but our rents are so much cheaper than San Francisco and Manhattan so we're a cheap city!!!")

Old 11-19-2014, 10:52 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
I live close to the place in Greenfield. Lots of public transportation up and down Murray ave. The neighborhood is pretty quiet and people seem nice. It's a little worn around the edges but really enjoy living here. I would definitely look at laces in this area. I have seen a few for rent signs along Murray ave as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh