Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 07:52 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times

Advertisements

We were in the final at Heinz field last night. We played Aliquippa again this year and won. But I did notice things that were the same as last year.

Once Aliquippa were loosing, they started getting injuries ; last year the two major players played like this also. If they dropped a ball, the person who dropped it, fell down in an injury. Last night, the same thing happened at least 4 times.

We were the underdog last year and had no publicity. As the reigning state championship, one would thing that there would be some publicity ; not at all.

Players ; we may not be the heaviest, but we certainly are the fastest and play like a team, a family and work hard. Obviously weight does not matter.

We are riding a 29 game win in a row. Again, a silent 29 game win.

Just wanted to say WELL DONE SOUTH FAYETTE.

Of course I am biased as my two sons play on the team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 08:34 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
I heard West Allegheny was playing last night - do you know how they did?

(and congrats to S. Fayette

Old 11-22-2014, 08:41 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
...one would thing that there would be some publicity ; not at all.
I am sure it was fun, but remember it is only high school football, so really only those involved are fans.

It is funny about the kids faking injuries, but they are just little kids.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:39 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post

We were the underdog last year and had no publicity. As the reigning state championship, one would thing that there would be some publicity ; not at all.
Publicity?
The news mentioned that the WPIAL finals were at Heinz Field many times, as did newspapers.

What more do you expect for HS football games that very few (outside of family and students for that particular school) care about?

Old 11-22-2014, 09:52 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Publicity?
The news mentioned that the WPIAL finals were at Heinz Field many times, as did newspapers.

What more do you expect for HS football games that very few (outside of family and students for that particular school) care about?
I'm not a fan or follower of HS football but from what I do see, all coverage is basically of the quad A schools only; maybe that's what she's referring to

Old 11-22-2014, 09:53 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Publicity?

The local news sure seems to give quite a lot of coverage for high school football for some reason.

Congrats to all the champions though, including your son Dorothy!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:04 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I'm not a fan or follower of HS football but from what I do see, all coverage is basically of the quad A schools only; maybe that's what she's referring to
Schools are rated as "Quad A" based on their enrollment, bigger schools have more students, alumni, staff and other interested parties, its would surprising if they didn't get more coverage than smaller learning institutions.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:10 AM

A or Quad A.. they all get TV coverage!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:18 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,965 times
It was covered by both local papers and all the local news channels. I am not sure what other publicity a high school football team should expect.

In case you missed it:

South Fayette again defeats Aliquippa to defend WPIAL Class AA title | TribLIVE

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201411210219

In terms of the area in general, I have never seen so much news coverage devoted to a high school sport. I am always surprised how high school football is covered in the regular sports section of the paper, and not the local section. Anyone who reads the Trib will be familiar with the two giant novels that are published at the beginning of the school year detailing each and every high school football team.

Sports were an integral part of high school for me, and I was a dedicated three-season, varsity athlete for all four years of high school. However, beyond friends and family, nobody followed high school sports where I grew up. While my teammates and I may have taken things a little too seriously, nobody around town really did.

In addition, while this may sound crazy to folks around here, football was not the most popular sport where I grew up. The best athletes, who oftentimes were the most popular kids, all played soccer.

Of course, this is not to diminish the personal achievement of your sons and their teammates. Congrats to them!

Last edited by Kippy; 11-22-2014 at 11:44 AM..

Old 11-22-2014, 10:24 AM

Yeah.. there is definite bias (and excessive coverage) of HS football.

Heck, Latrobe was STATE champs in '08, '09, '10 and '13.... but since it was hockey, the media cared very little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh